Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paulabear

How many of you have successfully battled blackheads?

"As long as you use them" <== I don't think the battle is over.

No one on this board has successfully battled blackheads.

Those who might have outside this board don't know how they did it, probably grew out of it, or aged out of it.

The End.

Accutane also gets rid of blackheads, assuming you want to go nuclear on them.

Wynne, didnt you not have much acne to begin with? Plus your 41. MOST not all people dont have acne anymore when they are 41

It's wise not to make assumptions based on age or simply what you think might be the case. ;)

I would still have acne were it not for my regimen ....

"As long as you use them" <== I don't think the battle is over.

No one on this board has successfully battled blackheads.

Those who might have outside this board don't know how they did it, probably grew out of it, or aged out of it.

The End.

Accutane also gets rid of blackheads, assuming you want to go nuclear on them.

Wynne, didnt you not have much acne to begin with? Plus your 41. MOST not all people dont have acne anymore when they are 41

It's wise not to make assumptions based on age or simply what you think might be the case. ;)

I would still have acne were it not for my regimen ....

I wrote MOST capitalized for a reason because I knew someone would misinterpret me. I didnt say that doesnt exist and that all people dont have acne at forty.

You'd be surprised how many 40+ women have problems with breakouts .... some of them for the first time in their lives.

I'm gently encouraging some of my friends to check in here at acne.org. :) Some are considering dietary alterations and elimination diets, some are considering spiro. None want birth control due to age and increased risk of blood clots. Some do use hormonal patches for menopause and those seem to be amazing for them AND their skin; helps stop some of the collagen loss and even osteoporosis risks.

One of my friends goes to a holistic nurse practitioner who sounds absolutely delightful and very well educated in new research and developments. This NP holds seminars, too, free for the public. She should consider webcasts, I think.

"Successfully battled" is a tough standard because battling blackheads is a two-fold problem -- enlarged pores and gunk that gets in them. The size of your pores is generally determined by genetics and age. As you get older, pores tend to get bigger. I have what I would consider to be medium to small sized pores, depending on how well I am taking care of my face. (The less I take care of it, the more stuff builds up and the bigger they get.)

I have tried laser treatment once for pore minimization and all-over skin tightening, and it helped reduce the size of my pores by increasing the production of collagen and tightening the skin. I need to go get more. My sister has done it several times and her pores are virtually invisible. She's 43.

Also, I have done micodermabrasion several times, and it also improved the blackhead situation temporarily. I have used topical retinoids too, and they have helped. I have a "pore sucker" machine, but since I moved, I haven't been able to find the charger and haven't used it in quite some time. I found that to be an effective tool for cleaning the pores on my nose.

Also, I like the biore pore strips. Sometimes you don't get a great pull, but it does help. Also, to generally help remove the dead skin that seems to stick to my skin and cause many of my complexion problems, I use Pretty Hands and Feet, which is a parafin-based gentle exfoliant. Yes, I use it on my face! It's after a friend who has amazing skin told me she'd used it since high school. We were discussing face care and this product sounded very similar to a pricey Clarins product that I had been using.

hey, what laser did you and you sister get done. im looking for something to reduce mypores aswell

yeah accutane does work like what lion said

i see the black heads sticking out of my nose and a few fall off every day when i rub my nose, but i wouldn't recommend it if you didn't really have any acne other than blackheads

I've battled and vanquished blackheads. I use salicylic acid twice a day combined with Tazorac 0.1% twice a day. It took a couple years to arrive at this formula.

I've battled and vanquished blackheads. I use salicylic acid twice a day combined with Tazorac 0.1% twice a day. It took a couple years to arrive at this formula.

Hows your skin been lately?

You'd be surprised how many 40+ women have problems with breakouts .... some of them for the first time in their lives.

Yep - I agree.

I just turned 40 and I would be breaking out without my products and facials. Adult acne has been on the rise in recent years. The reasons why are not entirely clear, but the data shows more women in their 30s and 40s get acne breakouts. The problem is usually less severe than in younger women, but tends to be persistent.

Face Reality has a number of older clients - some in their 50s. There is even one woman in her 70s that they got clear - she still needs to use her products though or she will break out. One thing we found with Face Reality's clients (I helped them collect some data recently) is that inflamed acne tends to decrease with age, but noninflamed acne gets more and more common as people get older. Nearly all of the clients over the age of 40 had noninflamed acne, that percentage was much lower in clients who were in their teens and 20s.

Yep - I agree.

I just turned 40 and I would be breaking out without my products and facials. Adult acne has been on the rise in recent years. The reasons why are not entirely clear, but the data shows more women in their 30s and 40s get acne breakouts. The problem is usually less severe than in younger women, but tends to be persistent.

Face Reality has a number of older clients - some in their 50s. There is even one woman in her 70s that they got clear - she still needs to use her products though or she will break out. One thing we found with Face Reality's clients (I helped them collect some data recently) is that inflamed acne tends to decrease with age, but noninflamed acne gets more and more common as people get older. Nearly all of the clients over the age of 40 had noninflamed acne, that percentage was much lower in clients who were in their teens and 20s.

Kim, youre scaring me! I dont want acne when Im 70 years old