Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paulabear

How many of you have successfully battled blackheads?

Shed some light on this?

I honestly wonder if there's anyone that has successfully gotten rid of blackheads. If so, what kind of regimen do you follow/how long did it take to figure out what works for you?

me three... i cleared up my acne in two months, ive been trying to get rid of the blackheads for atleast three years... ive tried everything!

i think blckheads starts from hyper-keratinization of skin cells ... same as inflamitory acne ..bascially excess karatin that blocks the pores ... dead skin cells build up and become sticky/stick together. the only way i could think of correcting this is thru diet.

See regimen in signature. That's what worked for me. Combine a good at-home regimen with regular professional extractions and that's a winner for many.

i think blckheads starts from hyper-keratinization of skin cells ... same as inflamitory acne ..bascially excess karatin that blocks the pores ... dead skin cells build up and become sticky/stick together. the only way i could think of correcting this is thru diet.

Retinoids normalize keratinization.

i dont have those deep seated fleshy bumps anymore, all i have are microcomedones that gapes out the pores after i wash, some can be easily unplugged...what could be wrong?

im on retinoids, bha, aha, benzoyl, azelaic, and erythromycin...my skin is okey now...im happy...but i want these little things gone...

they dont do it well enough ... people still get blackheads and acne after trying retinoids.

No but hopefully differin will. Ive had my nose covered in blackheads for three years now thanks to that terrible St Ives Apricot Scrub. I didnt know thats terrible for the skin until I used it a few times and had to quit because it put scratches all over my cheeks and blackheads on my nose

they dont do it well enough ... people still get blackheads and acne after trying retinoids.

I don't.

used properly, they work extremely well for most people. trouble is, lots of people don't know how to use 'em.

retin a doesn't work that well in my experience, stll applying it for over a year just hoping

used properly, they work extremely well for most people. trouble is, lots of people don't know how to use 'em.

how do you use them properly then ?

even if used properly i doubt they correct the problem (kyper-keratinization) which most poeple will say is genetic. blackheads will most likley return once discontinued

diet is the best solution of getting rid of blackheads the less oil production,the less blackhead..try to take some fish oil omega 3..

I have written a couple of lengthy pinned posts on how to use topical retinoids .... one is in the Topical Retinoids subforum, another in OTC.

Too many people give up on retinoids because of skin irritation or the initial breakout.

It is true that they do not work for everyone. It is also true that you have to keep using them; they only correct hyperkeratinization as long as you use them.

On the other hand, they have so many benefits for aging skin, why not keep using them?

"As long as you use them" <== I don't think the battle is over.

No one on this board has successfully battled blackheads.

Those who might have outside this board don't know how they did it, probably grew out of it, or aged out of it.

The End.

I occasionally get blackheads (esp. in the summertime). A scrub cleanser has always worked well for me - usually it loosens them up and, a few days of use later, the entire plugs will surface and be easily sloughed off.

Those who might have outside this board don't know how they did it, probably grew out of it, or aged out of it.

The End.

My blackheads are starting to go away i think :shrug: what i do is nothing. well almost nothing. I wash my face and then apply BP where i need it on my face and NOT on my nose. Now i am only using sunscreen on my nose. At night i sleep with nothing on my nose. When i want to extract the blackheads i then disinfect the area with alcohol and then leave it alone.....it could also be that i am starting to use blotting sheets. Try blotting away the oil as often as needed and see if this helps....could be.

Oh and the worst thing to do is to apply something to your nose after it has been extracted. Evem if the lotion is non-comedogenic i have found that it actually is. I used to extract my nose and then apply a calming lotion to calm it down and 15 minutes later i would see my pores the same or worse than before the extraction. I would then proceed to extract again and i later put the pieces together and realized that what i was extracting the second time was the lotion.....ew

"Successfully battled" is a tough standard because battling blackheads is a two-fold problem -- enlarged pores and gunk that gets in them. The size of your pores is generally determined by genetics and age. As you get older, pores tend to get bigger. I have what I would consider to be medium to small sized pores, depending on how well I am taking care of my face. (The less I take care of it, the more stuff builds up and the bigger they get.)

I have tried laser treatment once for pore minimization and all-over skin tightening, and it helped reduce the size of my pores by increasing the production of collagen and tightening the skin. I need to go get more. My sister has done it several times and her pores are virtually invisible. She's 43.

Also, I have done micodermabrasion several times, and it also improved the blackhead situation temporarily. I have used topical retinoids too, and they have helped. I have a "pore sucker" machine, but since I moved, I haven't been able to find the charger and haven't used it in quite some time. I found that to be an effective tool for cleaning the pores on my nose.

Also, I like the biore pore strips. Sometimes you don't get a great pull, but it does help. Also, to generally help remove the dead skin that seems to stick to my skin and cause many of my complexion problems, I use Pretty Hands and Feet, which is a parafin-based gentle exfoliant. Yes, I use it on my face! It's after a friend who has amazing skin told me she'd used it since high school. We were discussing face care and this product sounded very similar to a pricey Clarins product that I had been using.

The End.

I don't have any as long as I use my regimen. THAT to me is success. I haven't any. Plus I get anti-aging benefits. So I don't get to sit back and relax without applying anything at all...so? I'm clear and age spot free, and virtually without wrinkles at 41.

*pats self on back*

Wynne, didnt you not have much acne to begin with? Plus your 41. MOST not all people dont have acne anymore when they are 41

It's wise not to make assumptions based on age or simply what you think might be the case. ;)