Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello people.

I'm in my 20's and finally been prescribed accutane after years of suffering with acne.

I went to the dermatologist last week and started the pills yesterday. The dermatologist was lovely and was really helful and understanding...I was scared she'd be horrified at taking a look at me!

I have to say though I'm slightly terrified after reading all the horror stories about over drying, skin breaking and all the rest but I'm going to stick with it as I can't cope any more with hiding under layers of makeup and having to wear clothes that cover my unsightly chest and back acne! I'm getting into the habit of marinating myself in e45 cream and lots of spf cream too...oh and copious amounts of lip balm! Fingers crossed the side effects are only minor or non existent!!

Wish me luck guys.

Love Ange xxx

accutane isnt as scary as some people make it sound on here! i finished my treatment 2 weeks ago and i couldnt be happeir with my results! my skin has been 99% clear for 3 months and i can finally enjoy my life! it definitely had some ups and downs though so dont give up when it gets hard... it is sooo worth it in the end. good luck! i hope you have fantastic results

Day 51 and I have a sunburnt pout! Or at east it looks that way. I had a really busy day at work on Friday and didn't have a lipbalm stick in my uniform jacket and really suffered for it all day. I can only describe it as feeling like my lips are wind chapped, youch. My face has cleared up a lot. I used to have to carry around a little maxfactor pressed powder compact as my face was always so shiny but not anymore! My makeup now stays on a lot longer as its not all greasy any more. My back and chest acne if anything got worse in the first month of isotretinoin (accutane) but i'm just thankful i didn't have an initial break out on my face. My back and chest I can hide at least!

I'm still on 20mg as at my last derm appointment she left it up to me whether I wanted my doesage upping and because my lips were so sore, I said no. My next appointment is mid may so I'll hopefully be upping it then.

Work has been really stressful which hasn't helped and I keep having bad headaches but I'm blaming work for that! I'm drinking lots and lots of water when possible and taking vitamin E tablets and milk thistle tablets. The no drinking thing has been mighty tough. I still allow myself the odd glass of red but no more. When my doseage goes up I might try and cut out alcohol all together.

I've found that my hands have really suffered. They look all broken and just generally a bit mank! I was given some 'double base' cream by the derm and as my mum is a nurse she's sourced my a huge pump bottle and its done wonders for my hands and tops of my shoulders which were also geting really dry. Definitely recommend that stuff! Any hoo, sorry for bleating on. If anyone can recommend a decent lipbalm in the UK then I'd be very grateful. I've tried chapstick, all the blistex stuff, vaseline and nivea!!

Fingers crossed this stuff works and one day I might be able to go swimming again without feeling massively self conscious :redface:

Hi there good luck on your course. I like blistex though but if it didn't work out, you can try QV lipbalm, I used that during my course and it worked well. It was also the one that my derm gave me.

I also did a 20mg/day course so we are pretty similar. Should you have any questions, feel free to ask me and take care! :D

My face has almost completely cleared up. I only really realised this today as I slept in for work and I managed to literally just slap on moisturiser and a bit of foundation on and go. usually I'd spend almost half and hour just using what felt like thousands of different concealers and other crap! I've got a few red looking scars left but i have to say, they're fading pretty fast. The real problem is my back. In the last month the acne I had there is definitely less swollen and no longer hurts. Its now starting to dry up and I can finaly see an improvement! Not enough to ever brave the pool just yet but getting there. I'm starting to get a few random dry patches on the top of my arms and back of my hands so I'm pretty much marinating in 'double base' cream and also Palmers have brought out an SPF15 cocoa butter which is yum yum yum! I've also found a neutrogena lip balm stick in Tesco's with SPF20 in which seems to be really helping. Big love people xxx

Woo hoo derm meeting tomorrow!

Hoping to get my doseage upped to 40mg.

Good things so far:

Face has almost totally cleared up. Stil have scarring but I'm guessing only time will heal that.

My back no longer breaks out, I still have a lot of reddness but nothing like it was before.

No more oily face...shine free!

Hair hardly need washing, its crazyI could leave it for a week...I wouldn't...as that would make me feel sick!

Not so good:

Scalp is very dry in places. Having to use Dermax shampoo from my derm at the moment and i'm guessing, for a good while

Random dry patches on my arms, back of my hands and ear lobes!!

Very peely lips but finally tackling that

Dry eyes - using some eye drops now and then, especially when in horrible air conditioned offices!

Hopefully the doesage upping won't make me even more of a scaley dragon!! Fingers crossed :wub:

Day 85.

I saw my derm two weeks ago and my doseage was upped to 40mg a day, both pills together. Woohoo!

My lips have peeled like crazy. Even more so than before. They feel so sore I could cry.

It feels like I've got wind chapped lips, all red around the edges of my mouth, its looks sooo pretty, not!

I'm hanging in there though as my face is so much clearer now and even my chest and back are clearing.

The shampoo I was prescribed is really working too so my scalp is less of a snow storm.

Please please please let my lips heal up a bit i feel so horrible right now!!

Also, when I went to the hospital to collect my accutane prescription the pharmacist asked me the standard questions about how I was feeling etc and he asked if I was experiencing any vision problems. I said that my eyes were feeling dry and occasionally blurry. He seems really concerned about the blurry eye comment and told me that accutane can damage eyesight and it would be permanent. This really scared me as I know that accutane could make my eyes dry but I didn't realise it could cause long term eyesight damage.

Has anyone else heard this?

Cheers guys,

Angie xx

Day 121. Now using dakacort ointment for a week to hopefully allow my lips to heal a little. They're peeling so badly and are so sore I'm feelings massively fed up. I'm now down to 20mg one day, 40mg the other for a week or so to hopefully ease the side effects. Can't wait to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skin is clear. Scars are fading on my face fast.

Back no longer breaks out but is still badly scarred

Chest no longer breaks out but still has lighter scarring

My scalp is still sore even though i'm on a prescription (expensive!!) shampoo called Dermax I think. Its lovely on my hair though.

Marinating in moisturiser as always! Palmers cocoa butter spf15

Doublebase cream on hands whenever possible...this stuff is amazing, my nails look fantastic!

Another month or two to go. There is a light! The tunnels just chuffing long!

So basically your story gives me hope. You've talked about a lot of the same things I've been needing to know about. I started May 10th on 40mg a day. I've got all the dry symptoms, working on getting all the correct lotions and stuff.

I'm hoping to have the same success stories with the body acne as well. I started out and my face cleared up a lot, even my neck is starting to claim victory over the acne. But my chest stops me from ever going swimming. Being a guy, I can't just lob the makeup on, not sure if that's a pro or con from reading the posts.

Keep telling your story. I'll be reading. I've always been a hater of these support group things, but that's until I found one that hit home, and hit it hard, like every breakout over the last 10 years.

Congrats on the success so far, and I can't wait to hear the rest of your trip down 'die acne lane'

Hey thanks so much for your reply. This stuff is pretty horrible at times but its a means to and end. I laughed at the die acne die!! I'm hoping this stuff really keeps the acne away as its made me feel pretty rubbish. Looking back at what my skin was like before though, it was been worth it. The acne on my chest had become so awful that like you, I never went swimming. I couldn't wear nice clothes and I felt embarassed in changing rooms scared that someone might see. My chest has completely cleared now and the sunshine has almost cleared the scarring too. My back has been very stubborn. All the horrible lumps and reddness has gone. No more swollen ugly back! Hurrah! Saying that, its still not exactly pretty. I'm covered in pink scars but I'm hoping in time they'll eventually fade more. I'm thinking about having some laser treatment next year if they're still noticeable but right now, i'm just thankful that my face has finally cleared up. I can now go downstairs and eat breakfast in front of my housemates without piling on coverup beforehand! Sounds stupid but I used to always hide my face with a towel on the journey to the bathroom. People with good skin don't realise how much it stresses us out. Keep at it and let me know how you get on too!

Day 130.

Today my boss came up to me to go over some work and said 'ouch, whats wrong with your mouth, is it sunburn?' I'm actually quite glad when people ask me why my mouth is so red and peely rather than thinking I've got some sort of disease! I told her why it was and she was so apologetic. Randomly today someone in a department store asked me what makeup I used as my face looked radiant, I could've kissed them honestly. After establishing that they weren't being saracastic!!! I told them what brand I use and that it was probably just the caked on moisturiser making me gleam!! I'm slowly back up to 40mg a day after going from 20mg to 40mg, and going back down to 20mg as I felt very very low and the dryness went crazy. The short time of being on a lower dose seems to have calmed down the dryness but my lips are still pretty burnt looking. If this suff works though I think its a small price to pay for not having to freak out about being in bright lighting, or going swimming or staying over at someones house argh the list is endless. My derm has said she's not going to be given me another prescription so whatever I have left...thats it. I got a little bit excited about this thought but then counted how many boxes I have left....there's loads! Not quite sure how many but at least another 2 months or so. The end is nigh though!!

Day 151. Still on 40mg a day. Mouth is still horrible.

I was prescribed 'daktacort' oitment for my mouth a while ago now which seemed to help a little bit, but the results only lasted a few days. I then went back and my dermatologist who could see that the ointment wasn't working so she prescribed me 'locoid lipcream' ....another £7.20 lighter! I used this for 4 days, as directed, and have to say, it didn't do a thing. That was two weeks ago now and my mouth is really peely, cracked in the corners and just pretty god damn ugly! I'm coping ok though. I'm hoping there's only going to be another month or two left and after having horrendous skin for so many years, its definitely worth it!

Skin is still completely clear. I still haven't become used to getting ready so quickly in the morning. My makeup routine used to take so long. Constantly trowelling on more and more coverup and powder. I must keep remembering that when I feel like crap about my mouth. If my back scarring would hurry up and heal more I'd be a lot happier.

Having bad headaches a lot but think its a mixture of the drugs and pressure at work. I've got a big assessment in November so hoping to be accutane free by then. Will bring it up wih my derm in Sept...I have to wait two months to see her due to a backlog of people..... Great.

I've decided that after this treament I'll be designing a range of products specifically aimed at those on accutane! A lipcream/balm that actually works!! A nice moisturiser that doesn't leave you looking like casper and unable to get into bed as you slide out!! A scalp shampoo that smells nice, doesn't rip out hair colourant and actually works!! And eyedrops all in a pretty/manly travel case or in sizes to cater for either a short course or a years worth etc. Dragons den here I come :)

Ok so I'm babbling but its needed. Why isn't there more out there for us?!

Hope you're all doing well.

Keep smiling....unless like me, it makes your mouth split!!

Much love, Ange xxx

Hmmm I've stopped using the oitment my derm prescribed me and now my lips have almost healed. Maybe it just took a while but after slapping on nivea lipbalm every night they're finally stopped cracking. Roll on the end of this I'm on the last box people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The end is very nigh....I take my last two pills this wednesday. I CAN'T WAIT! My lips have stopped cracking but the skin around my mouth is so red I look like the joker! Its pretty manky but I'm hoping once I stop takng this stuff it'll heal up quickly. Can't quite believe I'm almost done now after starting beginning of March. Overall its not been too bad and the results have been amazing. My face is completely spot free....first time since I was about 13! I'm amazed my back healed too. That was the worst area and was covered in large cysts. I'm left with some scarring but they're really quite small in comparison to what was there before. Any ideas on light therapy/laser stuff anyone?

My derm has screwed up slightly and I don't have an appointment with her until a week on wednesday...so a week after I finish and I haven't seen her since July as she's been booked up, so I'll see what she can recommend next week.

Fingers crossed I don't break out after I finish and that this stuff is a long term fix! xx

I'm not sure if anyone reas this stuff.......but hey ho....I'll keep babbling.

I took my *hopefully* final pill today. I've been on this stuff since the begining of March so it feels like forever. I can't decide whether I'm hapy or sad at taking this last little pill I've become so used to taking them every day that its going to be odd not taking it anymore. I haven't seen my derm since July as she's been on holiday and busy but she said after this prescription...thats it! I realy hope she meant it as I don't know if I can take any more peely lips and dry scalp!! I'm desperate to wake up and for once...not see the joker looking back at me in the mirror with a bright red terrifying looking mouth! Lets hope my skin stays clear and all this realy has been worth it.

Angie xx

Thanks for your nice words on my blog and congratulations on finishing! You're about one month ahead of me and there's very few of us on here who have maintained their logs this long.

Good luck on your future success. A few comments:

1. I've found that slathering on copious amounts of Aquaphor on your lips at night will minimize the Joker look in a day or two.

2. Do you moisturize your face before putting on makeup? I've always wondered how girls deal with this. If I don't moisturize my face in the morning after a shower, I find that by noon, I'll have patches of dry flaky skin around my chin, ears, eyebrows, and nose.

3. I'm pretty satisfied with my progress so far but I still get tiny zits around my mouth and chin, which I never got before Accutane. Are you 100% acne free or do you get occasional tiny zits?

4. I've been listening to a couple songs today that really lifted my spirits and since they're both from British bands, I thought you'd enjoy them.

Elbow's "One Day Like This":

The Verve's "Lucky Man": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLzMCcFcFg

Ok, good luck!

Hey thank you so much for the reply!

Love those songs by the way!! Elbow are immense.

I moisturise like you wouldn't believe...some might say I marinate in olay and many other products! I've been spot free for about 3months I think. I've got two small ugly red patches on my fae though, one on my chin and one one my right cheek where I caught my face with a rough nail...youch I forgot how delicate accutane makes my face so I'm hoping the marks fade fast.I've still got some scaring though but I;m going to be positive and hope these fade with time. If not, I'll be looking at treatments next year or later on once I know this stuffs worked.

My derm woke me up with morning with an 8am (on my day off) phone call. She was very apologetic but wanted to speak to me as she's only just got my message about finishing the course. She hadn't realised I'd finished and bearing in mind I haven't seen her since July, she was checking up on me. Thanlfully I'm ok but they haven't been overly bothered when I've said how down its made me. Hmmm never mind. She mentioned giving me another box of 60 and I nearly sobbed. But becasue I haven't had any new spots for months she's happy for me to finish, and see how it goes after a while of being off it. She seems very positive that I won't have another break out like I used to but of course, she can't be 100%, no one can.

I've got my brothers wedding in a few weeks and I'm desperate to lose this joker mouth before then!! I'm ordering the Aquaphor you mentioned from ebay as we speak!

All the best with your last stint with this stuff!

Angie xx

Ok so I'm FREAKING out! I've been off the accutane for a week and a half now and skin has been spot free. But over the last few days my neck and now my face feels really irritated. I can feel tiny bumps all over my neck and now over my jawline and its starting to sppear around my mouth. WTF?! I have no idea why this is. It looks like tiny white bumps but not in a spot, infected way, more like if you get a reaction to something. I hope its just this stuff leaving my system and that it'll die down soooooon!

Got an appointment with my derm on weds so will annoy her with it if its still bugging me by then.

DIE ACNE DIE!!!xx

All s well at last :) The crazy bump irritation maddness on my face and neck has all gone and my derm didn't seem fussed about it at all. I'm *touch wood* free from accutane and better still, free from acne! I could'n't bring myself to take photo's of my acne when it was really bad which looking back now, is a real shame as I had hardly remember what it was like now. It would've been good to show the progress. I have got a horrendous photo of how much I reacted to the accutane on my mouth but I'm not sure if it wold do more harm than good, I don't want to put people off as my mouth is completely healed now I'm off it and actually super super soft now so its not forever! My pouts never been in such good condition! Weird.

I do remember how horrible acne made me feel though, I don't think you ever forget. And how much 've changed in terms of self confidence and anxiety. I no longer have panic attack when I'm trying to get ready to leave the house. I can finally get ready without spending hours srutinising over my layers and layers of concealer and powder. Thinking, can you still see my spots? Of course you could, the makeup made it look 20x worse :(

I really really hope that I don't have to have more accutance as its been a tough old journey but if it does come back, I would do another course on a low dose as directed by my derm. As the results outweigh the side effects by far. She seems rerally confident but I know I'll always be afraid of suddenly waking up with cysts again.

Woo I can drink lots again! Uh oh. My poor liver :) hehe. Keep smiling people!

Angie xxx

Ok so its now January and I've had the odd break out since I cam off Accutane, but when I say break out, its like one or two little spots rather than great big bad boys like I used to get! My back has stayed completely clear which has made me feels so much better. Still not confident about going swimming but hopefully I'll get there. I can't beieve its all gone. I still occasionally touch my back and think woah, its not the surface of the moon anymore!

I still can't believe how well my mouth recovered! It seriously looked like someone had burnt my whole pout. Its was shocking. Even my friends have said how bad they thought it was, but didn't want to say at the time. Thanks guys!! I now have around 50 lipbalms and chapsticks dotted about everywhere but hey, you can never have enough lipbalm!

To all those worried about the side effects, in my opinion it was definitely worth it!

Much love,

Angie xx

Thanks for the update! I just started Accutane, so it's nice to read a log from beginning to end--almost like looking in a crystal ball, sort of knowing what to expect.