Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I use BP and it makes my skin dry and peeling. I don't mind the dry part, I just hate the peeling because if I remove the peeling skin, it leaves a small red mark from the part where the skin was attached. Moisturizing doesn't help. Putting on less BP doesn't cause peeling but I usually still have some pimples if I don't put enough BP on. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest something to remove the dead, peeling skin without taking off the live skin. Chemical exfoliators maybe? I tries the apricot manual exfoliator, but's too abrasive and makes things worse, so I was thinking of chemical exfoliators? Anyone have any suggestions? thanks!!

Well I use random BP products that are over the counter. They all contain 5% BP. I can't find 2.5% BP which I'm sure would be less irritating. I've been using it on and off for the past year, but consistently since 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, since you're using higher doses of BP, it's pretty normal that your face is going to peel. Anything over 2.5% is going to dry your skin out more without any increase in efficiency. Even at 2.5% BP, a lot of people go through a dry, flaky skin when they start The Regimen. Unfortunately, it can take a good while for your skin to adjust, and in the meantime, all you can really do it moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

If the flaking is really bad, you might try going over your face very gently with a washcloth in the shower. Don't pick at the flakes, though, because, as you've noticed, it can damage the skin underneath.

Your skin is going though a (temporary) adjustment phase right now, so just try to keep your chin up. It won't last forever. Just be gentle and patient with your skin.

I'd recommend either using a washcloth after you've been in the shower a while (so your skin is soft and flakes will rub off more easily) or the jojoba oil scrub method linked in my signature.