Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
angel07

Is tanning bad?

Hi everyone,

I apologize if there has already been a post about this topic. Please give me a link to the post if you know of one.

So, is tanning bad for you? I've research it on the internet and I am finding mixed reviews. I really want to start going tanning in a tanning bed because I am going on a cruise to the Caribbean in a few months. I want to have a nice, golden glow. But at the same time I do not want to damage my skin and look older in the long run. Plus, I don't want to increase my risk for skin cancer. I just want to look good for my vacation!

Has there been anyone who goes tanning or who has gone tanning and has seen bad results? Any horror stories you want to share?

If you don't go tanning, what self-tanning lotions/sprays do you use? That's another option I'm thinking of trying. But with lotions and spray-on tans, people look orange and fake.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Tanning has devastating effects on your skin. Sun exposure is a huge cause of premature aging.

I'm a pathology student and one of the main points they've drilled into us is that UV radiation mutates DNA. If you're accumulating cells with damaged DNA, you're setting the stage for cancer development. After seeing some of the scarring on patients who have had moles removed from their faces I would never set foot in a tanning salon.

That's why dermatologists are so adamant that everyone wear sunscreen on a daily basis even if they AREN'T tanning.

Please DO NOT tan.

Thank you for the replies!

mameha - that's so cool that you are a pathology student! Thanks for the scary info! I've read about the DNA stuff in health magazines and websites. But what really makes me angry and confused is that when I go to tanning salon websites they say that tanning is good for you. A lot of my friends and coworkers that go tanning look so good, but I have noticed that my older friends look a lot older than they actually are!

shooshoo - I am seriously thinking about sunless tanners. Are you using any or have you used any in the past? What brands do you prefer?

Definitely don't use the tanning beds angel07! There bad, very very bad! Personally I like St Tropez, it makes you glow without the orange effect. Its very important to consider preparing your skin before using a tanning lotion so get hold of a good exfoliant. I've had to step out looking like a tangerine because i missed this step! Here in the UK they do a great exfoliant at Boots by a brand called Soap and Glory its called Flake Away, and boy does it smells divine too! Although I am sure you could find something just as good in your part of the world! If you do decide to use the St Tropez they tend to do a kit which contains everything you need in it ( exfoliant, gloves, moisturiser and tanning lotion). Other options include gradual tanners which you apply daily instead of your body lotion. There good as you can build up your glow to a level you require. The best one in the UK is made by Dove, Johnson and Johnson also make one which you may be able to get hold of and if you really feel like spending I believe St Tropez now do one too! Hope I've been of some use!

ruthie0123, you have been very helpful! Thank you so much!

Tonight, my parents and boyfriend sat me down and had a long talk with me about tanning beds. They all tried to persuade me to not start tanning. My mom even said she would buy any tanning lotions I want as long as I don't go to any tanning salons. LOL

Thank you for the recommendation! I just took a look at the St. Tropez website, and it looks very cool! The products seem to be very good quality and everything you need is right there. I am going to order some stuff right after I'm done with this! And I'll make sure to exfoliate!

Thank you! :)

yeah NO TANNING! i can attest - i inflicted major sun damage to my skin while i was living in FL (beautiful beaches within an hour's drive - can u blame me??) and now i'm paying for it. i consider myself to be someone who's aging rather gracefully, but i can tell the negative impact that's come as a result of all that overexposure to the sun with virtually no sun protection...

i say go with a sunless tanner - save your skin, you'll be glad you did.....

i did have a mean ass tan tho.... ;)

Tanning is not good. It may give you a nice glow, but it can be known to cause premature aging...ew.

I'll share my secret with you!

This is how I get a nice natural, streak-free, radiant glow(Without risking the quality of my skin):

I mix one half of my favourite body moisturizer (Aveeno) with one half of my favourite self tanner (Neutrogena). Apply liberally, rubbing in well to the skin. Let it absorb and dry, then within the next 24 hours, you will see a nice change in colour, with no streak, and best of all, no orange.

More instant than those daily moisturizers, but less obvious than fake bake self tanners.

Try it out, I swear by it.

I'm glad to see more replies! Thank you!

This is a serious topic. So many of my friends go tanning at the tanning salons. Yet there is a lot of evidence out there that says it's so bad for your skin. I hope nothing bad happens to them.

Camilai - thank you for sharing what works for you! I'll definitely try that!

LadyWillow - in order to get a nice glow to my face, I use a bronzer. I'm currently using a mineral bronzer from Afterglow and it works very well. It doesn't make me break out and the color is great. Not too dark or light. You can also try a moisturizer that gives you a gradual glow. I believe I saw one from Jergens the other day at Wal-Mart and it said it was oil-free and non-comedogenic.

I'm going on a cruise to the Caribbean with my boyfriend and his parents in August. I have plenty of time to experiment with different self-tanners. I'm excited!

I will never understand why people use tanning beds, theyre so so bad.

Angel07 I think if your going on hols the best type of fake tan to use would be the ones that are just a body lotion with a hint of a fake tan in em. You use it after a shower and it builds up a tan. I use them religiously during the summer. (Im Irish, Im so pale I glow).

I think theyre better for holidays because its more a natural build up that you can fix daily without going through the muddy just put on fake tan cant do anything this evening stage. St Tropez type ones are excellent but are far more hassle to apply and if your not a regular fake tan girlie will take practise. Nothing worse than waking up to find streaks all over ya, gaping white spots and orange elbows/knees/ankles.

I presume your in America so dunno are the brands different. Johnson&Johnson's one tends to streak a bit as its comes off once you stop applying. Nivea have a good one, Doves is good too so Ive heard.

Doves is my favorite

has anyone tried their energy glow w/ self tanner for the FACE moisturizer?

also most bronzers/blushes break me out =[ I get small red pimples

its horrible!

The only ones that didn't completely break me out where everday minerals ones

the afterglow one looks good but its pricey. are there samples?

Well tanning beds are definitely bad for you.

But anyways, from personal experience, why tan before a cruise? Your going to the Carribbean so your going get extremely tan from just going there. Plus, if it's a 7 day cruise your most likely going to have two or three sea days with nothing to do, so why not naturally tan then?

Haha...Kaley, you are absolutely right! My boyfriend said the exact same thing! I guess I'm just nervous because I have fair skin and I want to look good, you know? But yes, I will get a nice tan on my cruise. I just want to get some color before my vacation so I can wear shorts and skirts without feeling ugly.

I'm sorry, LadyWillow, that you cannot wear most bronzers and blushes. Makeup can be a bit tricky and lots of makeup makes me break out too. I'm very impressed with Afterglow. It's the only makeup that doesn't make me break out. I'm not sure if they offer samples. I just looked at their website and didn't see any, but maybe if you call customer service they will offer you some and you might have to pay just shipping and handling. I haven't tried Everyday Minerals yet. People love it, so I'm going to order their sample kit very soon! Maybe it's better than Afterglow...

One of my friends goes tanning practically every other day and she told me her skin is always extremely dry and itchy.