Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rob*

Junk food causes acne

I dont post much in this section of the forums but i just had an idea i wanted everyone to know about.

I'm 23 years old . I have had acne since i was 14. Back when i first got acne people would tell me that if i stopped eating junk food that the acne would surely go away. It use to fucking piss me off everytime someone told me this, because it is very well known that junk food causing acne is a myth. I believed this back then, and i ignored everyone who told me that junk food was the cause of acne. Looking back now i believe the cause of my acne was due to hormones and it didnt matter whether i ate healthy or not, i would have still gotten acne due to the increase in hormones.

But over time and throughout puberty that same hormonal activity decreases, and i am left wondering now what is causing my current acne situation. Through my experience i have notice correlations between the crap food that i eat (i.e. chocolate sundaes) and my outbreaks of pimples. I notice that everytime i eat something with a lot of sugar in it such as, chocolate bars, desserts, candy, etc, that i would get pimple outbreak the following days.

I have no doubt in my mind that the current cause of my persisting acne is due to this type of junk food that i choose to eat. I want this shit to end. Acne has affected my life for almost a decade now and i'm sick and tired of having to deal with it. For the next 4 months i will try to prove this theory that junk food causes my acne. I am going to stop eating and drinking any type of junk food, or any type of food or drink that contains sugar. No more pop, no more Tim Horton's coffee, no more starbucks, no more desserts, no more chocolate, no more caramel, no more chewing my fingernails, etc. NO MORE SUGAR. And i bet you that after all this is done i wont have anymore outbreaks of acne. I'm doing this starting today, and i encourage you all to try the same. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

They are partially right and partially wrong. When someone is predisposed to acne, it wont matter what we do, we will still get acne. However, if you have a dairy allergy or another hidden food allergy, it can make acne worse. It isnt the underlying cause though

They are partially right and partially wrong. When someone is predisposed to acne, it wont matter what we do, we will still get acne.

Not true. Or at least you can make it a rare occurrence. I had severe acne of all sorts including cystic acne. And within a few months of diet changes, my face and body became completely clear and have remained so for 99.9 percent of the time.

----------

To the OP, you may also have to try finding out any food intolerances you might have. Because I figured out my cystic acne was a reaction to citrus several years ago and have avoided most types for many years. But if I hadn't figured that out first, my diet changes would not have resulted in clear skin because I would have still been eating oranges believing them to be healthy for me and good for my skin.

Also, a food intolerance doesn't have to directly cause a pimple to be a cause for your acne. The reaction can just be increased inflammation, and histamines which have been found to have a relation to elevated androgen levels, which means oilier skin and therefore acne. Remember, acne is an inflammatory condition. The most inflammatory foods are sugar, bad fats, and anything you have an intolerance for.

So what you want is an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet consisting of foods you do not have an intolerance for.

You also need to sleep well, chew your food well, never binge eat, don't eat things you have difficulty digesting and stay active. As exercise is the best thing you can do for circulation and insulin resistance. And improving these does so much for your body.

And I'm glad you said 'foods and drinks.' I've seen a lot people not grasp that drinks are the worst. Like people claiming they've followed the paleo or some other diet for so long and it turns out they've been having Starbucks Frappicinos everyday. And asking if such and such brand bottled drink is ok.

I am going to stop eating and drinking any type of junk food, or any type of food or drink that contains sugar.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But consider that in making this dietary change, you'll be changing a great many things implicitly. You'll likely change: the # of calories you eat, the balance of carbs/fat/protein, your total glycemic load, etc. So if you end up 100% clear, then it's worth it. But if you end up merely improved, how will you figure out which of the great many changes you made matter? Experiments with too many variables can just drive you mad.

Since there's plausible research that indicates it's true that a significant number of acne sufferers get worse when given dairy, why not do a 2-3 week test of just dropping dairy first? If it doesn't help at all, then that's a broad class of food you don't have to give up. If it does help, then you know one factor that matters to your symptoms (for me, eliminating dairy eliminates the cystic acne... leaving all the other kinds, but still!). And, you might be one of the lucky ones for whom eliminating dairy provides dramatic improvements.

Just remember -- carrots are loaded with sugar. :D

But seriously, good luck!

I am going to stop eating and drinking any type of junk food, or any type of food or drink that contains sugar.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But consider that in making this dietary change, you'll be changing a great many things implicitly. You'll likely change: the # of calories you eat, the balance of carbs/fat/protein, your total glycemic load, etc. So if you end up 100% clear, then it's worth it. But if you end up merely improved, how will you figure out which of the great many changes you made matter? Experiments with too many variables can just drive you mad.

It doesn't matter what clears his skin. And there are far more ways diet changes can effect acne than your short list, btw. Eating real food only does the body good in so many ways, and he'll be glad he did when he ages slower, stays healthier, keeps his hair longer, and avoids all the lifestyle diseases that are epidemic in this country.

They are partially right and partially wrong. When someone is predisposed to acne, it wont matter what we do, we will still get acne.

Not true. Or at least you can make it a rare occurrence. I had severe acne of all sorts including cystic acne. And within a few months of diet changes, my face and body became completely clear and have remained so for 99.9 percent of the time.

----------

To the OP, you may also have to try finding out any food intolerances you might have. Because I figured out my cystic acne was a reaction to citrus several years ago and have avoided most types for many years. But if I hadn't figured that out first, my diet changes would not have resulted in clear skin because I would have still been eating oranges believing them to be healthy for me and good for my skin.

Also, a food intolerance doesn't have to directly cause a pimple to be a cause for your acne. The reaction can just be increased inflammation, and histamines which have been found to have a relation to elevated androgen levels, which means oilier skin and therefore acne. Remember, acne is an inflammatory condition. The most inflammatory foods are sugar, bad fats, and anything you have an intolerance for.

So what you want is an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet consisting of foods you do not have an intolerance for.

You also need to sleep well, chew your food well, never binge eat, don't eat things you have difficulty digesting and stay active. As exercise is the best thing you can do for circulation and insulin resistance. And improving these does so much for your body.

And I'm glad you said 'foods and drinks.' I've a lot people not grasp that drinks are the worst. Like people claiming they've followed the paleo or some other diet for so long and it turns out they've been having Starbucks Frappicinos everyday. And asking if such and such brand bottled drink is ok.

Are you not reading what I wrote. I said for people who are ALREADY PREDISPOSED TO ACNE

Are you not reading what I wrote. I said for people who are ALREADY PREDISPOSED TO ACNE

umm. Of course. I'm talking about people predisposed to acne.

In other words, us. We are all predisposed to acne here. You. Me. And all the other people who've cleared their skin from diet changes.

??????

Its been one week and i thought i would update this thread. All i can say is that i need more DISCIPLINE. I gave into temptation and drank too much Tim Hortons and too much Starbucks. As a result, i started getting more and more pimples (at least 10 new ones).

It began on tuesday when i thought that a little Tim hortons coffe wouldnt hurt much if i didnt put any sugar in it. So i ordered some large coffees with just two creams in it. This happened on two seperate occasions. The result, breakout. Same thing goes with that starbucks junk. I really need more discipline, because i am positive that these new pimples are due to these drinks.

I have found a way to keep me more motivated when it comes to holding back from eating and drinking junk. This motivitation comes from the want/need for myself to attract women. I cant tell you the number of times that i have been out to a bar where i was almost certain a girl that i met would have liked me more if i had kept my skin clear. This mindset will be used to restrain myself from eating and drinking anymore garbage. From this day forth i promise to not give into temptation again. God, i hope this works.

----------

And I'm glad you said 'foods and drinks.' I've a lot people not grasp that drinks are the worst. Like people claiming they've followed the paleo or some other diet for so long and it turns out they've been having Starbucks Frappicinos everyday. And asking if such and such brand bottled drink is ok.

Food can cause acne in some people but for most people its genetic, hormonal imbalances, changes in weather, etc.

----------

Food can cause acne in some people but for most people its genetic, hormonal imbalances, changes in weather, etc.

thats the biggest load of BS.

Genetics is a sorry excuse by the doctors to feed you OTC meds and pay there bills.

You know what causes hormonal imbalances? FOODS...bad foods and foods you can't handle, food in general effects so much in the body. Milk alone can causes illnesses due to pasteurization and chemicals and added hormones IN THEM.

its a much bigger picture, sweetheart.

Diet affects hormone balance. And just because you are genetically predisposed to a condition, doesn't mean you have to develop it or can't reduce or even reverse it. Same applies to diabetes, heart disease, etc.

And as for changes in the weather, it mostly just seems that way. There's other things going on. Skin does become more easily irritated in cold, heat, dryness, etc. For example, I have rosacea, and flareups were definitely came with changes in the weather. But not any more. Now that I eat such an anti-inflammatory nutrient rich diet, my face is never red and I don't get anything but the most minor, hardly noticeable 'breakout' form extreme temperature changes.

I find sometmes if I pig out on alot of junky food, the next day I will have yucky skin but this doesnt always happen, it is good to eat healthy but cavingin to junk food on special occasions cant be a big problem I wouldn't think...

Trent

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

time for an update.

I'm still getting zits. And this is even after i've stopped drinking coffees and starbucks drinks. Today i had to go into work with a pretty big whitehead on my face. Fuck, it just feels so frustrating sometimes, especially since i've had to go through this shit for 9 fucking years. Other zits have recently appeared on my neck and on my face.

As i've said i've cut out all junk food and sugar. The only thing i think could be causing this are new foods i have just recently added in my diet. In the past 10 days i have been eating those Silhoutte yogurts and have been drinking protein shakes. One of these things, or both, is causing my new acne, and i'm gonna find out which one it is. My guess s that it's the yogurt i starting eating again. They're those little Silhoutte yogurts that are really low in fat and taste really good. Since some people have mentioned that dairy products can cause acne, i believe that this may be the cause.

The other thing that has changed is i started drinking protein shakes again. I usually have these after i workout. But they dont contain any sugar so i dont know if they are what has caused my recent breakouts. I am gonna withold from eating any of those yogurts, and continue drinking the protein shakes. I will see how my skin reacts to this. If in 2 weeks time i'm still getting pimples then i will quit the protein shakes (i would hate to have to do this since i really badly need protein for after my workouts). So lets see how this goes.

As i've said i've cut out all junk food and sugar. The only thing i think could be causing this are new foods i have just recently added in my diet. In the past 10 days i have been eating those Silhoutte yogurts and have been drinking protein shakes. One of these things, or both, is causing my new acne, and i'm gonna find out which one it is. My guess s that it's the yogurt i starting eating again. They're those little Silhoutte yogurts that are really low in fat and taste really good. Since some people have mentioned that dairy products can cause acne, i believe that this may be the cause.

The other thing that has changed is i started drinking protein shakes again. I usually have these after i workout. But they dont contain any sugar so i dont know if they are what has caused my recent breakouts. I am gonna withold from eating any of those yogurts, and continue drinking the protein shakes. I will see how my skin reacts to this. If in 2 weeks time i'm still getting pimples then i will quit the protein shakes (i would hate to have to do this since i really badly need protein for after my workouts). So lets see how this goes.

How much sugar is in those drinks? What is the protein source in the protein drinks? And yes, many people break out from dairy for a number of reasons. Common allergen, lactose intolerance or the hormones and maybe even the iodine in diary.

Eat a tin of sardines after your workouts. Unless you are allergic to fish, this will do you far more good as it will also give you a ton of Omega 3. And it should have a lot of vitamin D. I'd have to look that up to be sure, but other wild caught fatty fish are high in D.

Also, I've been meaning to add to this thread that it isn't just 'junk' food. The typical very processed western diet is fairly void in nutrients and high in refined carbs and bad fats whether or not it's pizza, burgers, french fries and potato chips. You need to eat real food.

shit... i broke out a lot this week.

I have a question for everyone reading this. Does changing moisturizers give you breakouts?

About 2 weeks ago i bought some Moisturel and have been using it for times when i am away from home. For example, i would go to work, wash my face at lunch, my face would then get dry so i would apply some moisturel. I bought both the liquidy kind and the kind that comes in the cylinder container. I noticed that the ones that come in bottles are a little more liquidy and oily. Now i know this particular moisturizer is "non-comedogenic", but i cant help but wonder if this is what has been causing my recent breakouts. The moisturizer that i normally use is called Cliniderm, and it comes in a cylinder container, and is "non-comedogenic." I'm gonna go back to using nothing but this, because even though Moisturel says non-comedogenic i just dont believe them.

In other words, us. We are all predisposed to acne here. You. Me. And all the other people who've cleared their skin from diet changes.

??????

No when I write predisposed, Im talking about people where it is in our genetics.

----------

thats the biggest load of BS.

Genetics is a sorry excuse by the doctors to feed you OTC meds and pay there bills.

You know what causes hormonal imbalances? FOODS...bad foods and foods you can't handle, food in general effects so much in the body. Milk alone can causes illnesses due to pasteurization and chemicals and added hormones IN THEM.

its a much bigger picture, sweetheart.

Dont call me sweetheart! Genetics is a real cause of acne.

??????

No when I write predisposed, Im talking about people where it is in our genetics.

Yes. I understand that. I understood it the first time.

I am talking about our genetics too. Our genetics is the reason why we are predisposed to acne. We are genetically predisposed to getting acne.

Just like people are genetically predisposed to getting many other conditions like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. And diet and lifestyle can reduce your likelihood of developing those conditions, can reduce the severity, and can even reverse those conditions.

I'm not getting the confusion here. How else would we be 'predisposed' to acne, other than by our genes?

-------------------------

Also, I'm going to say this again:

It isn't just 'junk' food. The typical very-processed western meal is fairly void in nutrients and high in refined carbs and bad fats whether or not it's pizza, burgers, french fries and potato chips. You need to eat real food. With these things I like to call nutrients.

Also, you need to avoid anything you personally have an intolerance for, such as dairy, wheat, etc. For me it's citrus. But it's individual.

How much sugar is in those drinks? What is the protein source in the protein drinks? And yes, many people break out from dairy for a number of reasons. Common allergen, lactose intolerance or the hormones and maybe even the iodine in diary.

Eat a tin of sardines after your workouts. Unless you are allergic to fish, this will do you far more good as it will also give you a ton of Omega 3. And it should have a lot of vitamin D. I'd have to look that up to be sure, but other wild caught fatty fish are high in D.

Also, I've been meaning to add to this thread that it isn't just 'junk' food. The typical very processed western diet is fairly void in nutrients and high in refined carbs and bad fats whether or not it's pizza, burgers, french fries and potato chips. You need to eat real food.

Sardines, yuck!