Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nefarious

Accutane and some other misc. thoughts.

First of all, it's a bit comforting to read experiences, information, habits, etc, similar to my own.

From mid-teens to present day (mid 20s) I've had mild to moderate or maybe even sever acne. It's hard to gauge exactly where it stands. I get tiny whiteheads and blackheads but, not really that many. Mostly I just get these hard, thick, deep, painful things, until coming here I didn't know exactly what they were. I just knew they didn't pop and I fucking hated them.

I've tried BP, at varying intensities, 1% 2% 5% 10%

I've been on monocyline and doxycycline and some misc. other shit. The recent derm I went to put me on some time-release monocycline shit that did pretty much fucking jack and shit for me.

My current generic doctor gave me some face cream that wasn't BP for once, to use nightly, which kinda helped but, I'm sick of putting shit on my face overnight.

The most recent derm I went to up and left the location he was at, didn't send out forwarding information just some shitty letter saying he'd no longer be there, which was like a few weeks after my first appointment with him, after he prescribed that obnoxiously expensive time release moncycline stuff. (I forget the brand name) Only to show up later in the listings on my health insurance website at a different location... so he's still like, a part of whatever plan I'm on, no clue why he wouldn't make arrangements for his patients to follow him to his new location, but whatever, that's not important.

I have a few thoughts and questions since this site is a wealth of information and support that I've yet to tap;

All this weird shit I'm reading like vinegar on the face, etc; Any merit to it? Or is it just another way to get/put acid on your face, kill bacteria, and dry you out?

What's the real deal on soap? I have generic Irish Springs soap, which I like and prefer. It doesn't leave me feeling gunky, weird, or like there's still shit on my face. But people talk about drying out your face too much or provoking your face to produce more oil. The thing is I genuinely feel like no matter what my face produces oil non-stop which is one of the reasons I don't fret about drying out my face too much because it's virtually impossible. I could was my face with the tiniest amount of soap ever, and still have a sheen of oil 4-6 hours later. I could wash my face with moisturizing soap, same deal. And I can wash it with harsh dry your face out soap and at least feel clean, but still have that oil sheen 4-6 hours later.

Using BP nonstop does help, but, this isn't a realistic option. I don't want to devote large chunks of my every day life to slathering on face cream, and not being able to be close to a girlfriend, etc, because I've got this medication on my face. Not to mention that it fucking bleaches shit, which is annoying as fuck. I wish BP didn't bleach stuff or leave you smelling chemical-y, then it'd be much easier to stomach frequent use.

Is there merit to long term BP use in conjunction with oral medications?

I'm thinking about Accutane, very, very, very seriously. I'm going to all but demand it from whatever new derm. I find, after reading about it shrinking your pores and reducing oil output, I don't think there's any better option out there.

But I'm concerned about some of the permanent side effects like hair loss, and night vision loss. I can't find any statistics on how likely this type of stuff is. I guess that's why I will/am going to a derm to ask about it... but I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the risks and the risk/reward factor.

Oh, and on diet/vitamins; heavy soda drinker, don't eat terribly healthy. Thankfully I have an insane metabolism, but, what's the impact of my soda/sugar intake and my lack of healthy eating on my face? Factually, like, studies/research, not anecdotal stories about how drinking 9 gallons of water per day made your skin crystal clear with no meds. Should I be taking a multi-vitamin since I don't really eat fruits and veggies? I read some comments about lack of zinc impacting acne, so if this could potentially help in addition to whatever else I'm already doing, I'm game.

I have a million other questions, but those are the big ones for me at the moment. I'm seriously going to get on Accutane ASAP unless I find some significant reasons not to. This shit has gone on way to long and it's hindering my enjoyment of life in general.

All this weird shit I'm reading like vinegar on the face, etc; Any merit to it? Or is it just another way to get/put acid on your face, kill bacteria, and dry you out? ...

Oh, and on diet/vitamins; heavy soda drinker, don't eat terribly healthy. Thankfully I have an insane metabolism, but, what's the impact of my soda/sugar intake and my lack of healthy eating on my face? Factually, like, studies/research, not anecdotal stories about how drinking 9 gallons of water per day made your skin crystal clear with no meds. Should I be taking a multi-vitamin since I don't really eat fruits and veggies? I read some comments about lack of zinc impacting acne, so if this could potentially help in addition to whatever else I'm already doing, I'm game.

The purpose of the vinegar is to restore the ph balance of the skin which is supposed to be acidic after you have stripped it by using soap which is very alkaline. And water which is usually slightly alkaline. Acidity inhibits bacteria and fungal growth. And yes, there is merit to it.

BP causes free radicals and will age/damage your skin.

Sugar has a huge impact on your skin, hormones, inflammation (acne is an inflammatory condition), digestion, liver health, adrenal health, rate of aging, etc. There is tons of evidence of the connection between diet and acne in the links in my signature. High Fructose corn syrup is even worse and sodas are loaded with it.

Zinc can help. As will many other nutrients. And not eating foods that deplete what little nutrients you do eat.