Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
korbels

My Accutane Log

I've dealt with Acne since my early teens and all I can do is describe it as debilitating. I doubt I even need to explain in on these boards. Suffice to say my social life that happens 12-18'' from my body sucks. My friends never say anything to me about it but I've been around when they say something about someone else. That was the last straw, my best friend said something that I think about every time he looks at me and I don't want that. So after trying every cream, scrub, and cleanser I could over the past 13 years I started to do some research on if there was anything more I could do. Everything I read led to accutane eventually. So I went to my family dr. who agreed with me but said he could not prescribe it for some reason and referred me to a dermo (ENJOY MY COPAY THX!!) So I went to the dermo and he asked me why I was there (I think they do that to be nice) so I tell him. I go over what I've tried and what I would like to do (accutane!) he appreciated me doing my homework took a look at my face/back and before you could say sha-zam I was holding a iPledge booklet. My bloodwork came back ok yesterday and I filled my Rx last night. I am eatting my breakfast and am about to take my first dose. Today I feel like I'm starting my life, 13 years later than I should have. I think my entire mindset has shifted. Even though I was not on anything yet, or even seen the dermo the fact that I was going to be made me more confident, enough so to ask someone out on a date for the first time I can remember. We've been seeing/talking to each other all week. Hopefully my skin does not dry out too badly but if he does not mind it being nasty with acne I doubt he'll mind a bit of dryness.

Day one: Are we there yet? :)

I will update what has happened to me in the last day tonight (not much, don't get too excited...or perhaps that is a reason to be excited) after work. Basically, I just want to say really quickly that I am super glad someone else is starting around the same time as me. All the logs I've run across so far are by people that are 2 or 3 months in, and they have great advice, but it does make me feel rather behind.

I will definitely let you know if anything happens so you can be prepared. :cool:

Thanks Emeny! I was hopeing to have someone to go through this with :D I went out and bought a bunch of moisturizers/lotions/Vaseline and a humidifier for my room. I only got 1 or 2 strange looks standing in the checkout :P The guy I've been seeing is coming over at noon for lunch or dinner, depending on what time we get around to eatting :whistle::wub:

Day 2: Let's gooooooo

You crack me up. I haven't gotten a humidifier yet. We shall see if it is needed. Hope everything goes well with lunch and/or dinner. ;) It is definitely important to keep a positive attitude while on this drug. Or so they say. I'm actually pretty darn happy so far. Just sitting back and waiting. :popcorn:

I know right? Time will go slower since we have to wait. All last week I felt very actively involved in everything with my acne. Now I feel like a passive observer just watching silently. It's weird.

I totally know what you mean. I usually have to wash my face and then wait 20-30 mins before applying all of my creams and what-not. Now, I just wash it and moisturize. It feels completely foreign. Kind of like it, though. That is, unless I get a nasty IB. I know I will want to smother the nasties in one of my various creams. :shifty2: That will be hard to resist.

Yes, that and popping the odd zit now and than. I just took my third pill :dance: yay! :dance: Non-Tane related news: So me and that guy I was talking about yesterday spent the whole day together. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion I DONT like guys. Fortunately it's going to be the best FML ever.

Day 3: FML... and its Monday

I started training myself back in December not to pick at them. That was rough, but I am doing pretty good. The trick is not looking at them. Or if you do, not for too long. I have my moments of temptation, but those tactics seem to work for the most part. No more boy? I don't blame you. I don't like the majority of them, either. :snooty: Ah well, at least you know that acne can't hold you back, and you can ask out whomever you wish. There's the bright side. :shades:

Where did you get your little avatar guy? I assume it's customized. I like it, and I want one!

Took my fourth pill this morning and have yet to notice any dryness or any other side effect! I've always used chapstick and I've been preemptively moisturizing my face so I am not sure what would happen if I stopped. I don't plan on finding out. If i can maintain this level of moisture than I'll have a smooth course. Think I'm going to see a IB soon though. I looked at my face in the mirror long and hard this morning and it's redder than yesterday and I can feel the acne under my face with my fingers just waiting to launch it's assault on my face. What acne does not know though is that this is America, and over here, our guns are bigger.

Day 4: Threat level raised.

No IB for me yet. I checked out my skin after reading your post about the acne under the skin. I got nothin. This drug mystifies me. I'm still on high alert, of course.

Hopefully your lumps were a false alarm.

IB has been confirmed. I had one nasty cyst on my nose this morning and 3 other huge whiteheads scattered across my face. This was expected and I can't be mad about it. Hopefully they go away soon. I could not get face to face with the boy to end it yesterday and somehow ended up making a date tonight to watch LOST. Maybe I'll give it another try since it could just have been nerves after our day together. /shrug. I also woke up this morning and had HORRIBLE back pain. I thought my spine had fused with my bed frame and as I sat up the rivets were popping off. Warm shower helped but its very noticeable still. It may have been from last night, saw Watchmen and was in a not so comfy seat for over 3 hours. I may be getting sick too, colds have been going around at work. Too many things going on to point fingers at one thing or another.

Day 5: Resonance Cascade Scenario

I have been sick and not shaved in two days, I don't think thats helping with my breakout any. I have sat around and watched Iron Chef today, not much else to report.

Day 6: BLAH

Korbels, boy, you have to stay on course with me. Discard this sickness immediately. Jokes.... Hope you get to feeling better soon and can try out all those cool tricks you're learning from Iron Chef. How was Watchmen?

So, you successfully predicted the IB for both of us. I have a lovely whitehead on my chin that makes me look like a witch. I'm a witchy woman. Cue the Eagles.

Or perhaps not.

I'm out.

Once again I'm very sorry to have my precognition proved right again, why can't I get the lotto numbers instead? heh. I have a new symptom to report aswell: redness. My face will go pretty red throughout the day unless I'm cold. Which I rather be red than turn the heat down (here in Michigan) Watchmen was very plot driven. I loved it. It was a refreshing change of pace from every other movie I've seen this year. Don't got long to write today, I'm up at my parents visiting. Hence my lack of entry yesterday.

Day(s) 7&8: How does Rorschach's mask work!? I want one!

Redness is ok today. I went and played football outside. I noticed my skin seems, for lack of better words, brittle? It tore three times, once on my lip that would have happened regardless but two other times I was like, uh- really? Whiteheads disappeared very rapidly, more coming however. So all in all if this is as bad as it gets, the road ahead looks smooth :D

Day 9: It's beautiful outside!

Killed off my first 10 pack today ~WOOT~ Assuming I have good luck and am only on accutane for 5 months than that means I'm 1/15 done :D I noticed today my lips feel really dry. I think it's because i was outside all yesterday in the sun and playing football though. I'm not too sick so I've been back to physical activity and I'm not noticing any joint pain anymore, so maybe i had it because i was sick, who knows! Anyway, time to get ready to go to work.

Day 10: DOUBLE DIGITS BABY!

Hooray for the double-digits! We'll only be here for....90 more days give or take. :blink:

Nosebleeds....gah. Take it back.

I think I had another nose bleed last night while I was asleep. I have a humidifier in my room and I woke up this morning with my left nostril and throat in searing pain. I quickly went to the shower and let the hot water and humidity sooth me. I also washed! I went swimming last night than out to dinner with friends so I did not get a chance to moisturize after the pool until i got home some 2 1/2 hours later. It was almost painful to look in the mirror at my skin flaking off due to dryness. I did however, have a awesome time :D My whiteheads put cricks in my neck because by the time I notice them and turn to look at them again they are gone. I am happy about that but will be much happier when I just have a clear complexion, the thought of which is really starting to look possible. That also reminds me I should post up some pictures of my mug on here for some before during and after's. Maybe I'll do that today while I'm at work hahaha.

Day 11: WELCOME TO MY HUNDRED AND ELEVENTYTH BIRTHDAY! (-100)

you sound like me, taking pictures at work ;] haha. sadly i spend 89% of my time at work on acne.org, 10% on facebook and 1% working. oh boy.

i hope your course is going great, you're well on your way.

None of these are bad or show me broken out, I guess I don't keep around pictures like that. Except one... But it would need to be scanned (WTF KODAK PICTURE?) Plus I have no scanner. Anyway, here's me, uh- er- enjoy? :doh::ninja:

post-97967-1237293170_thumb.jpg

post-97967-1237293180_thumb.jpg

post-97967-1237293197_thumb.jpg

post-97967-1237293170_thumb.jpg

post-97967-1237293180_thumb.jpg

post-97967-1237293197_thumb.jpg

My whiteheads put cricks in my neck because by the time I notice them and turn to look at them again they are gone.

Funny. :)

Before and after pics, korbels boy? You are braver than I.

My face hurts today. I got a bunch of nasties around my mouth so when I talk eat or do anything mouth related something either stretches, breaks open, or feels weird. Hopefully this little breakout goes away just as fast as it came. No drinking yesterday for St Patrick's day. I'm not a big drinker but i do like to celebrate holidays. Plus everyone seemed to want to know why I was not drinking. "Medication" usually was enough of a answer for people, some of them wanted to know what for (nosy or interested? you decide!) so I would tell them, I don't care. I picked up a tube of Aquaphor for my lips. It reminds me of Vaseline. I think I'm going to only use it at night and use my regular chap stick during the day. I am congested today. I don't know if it's the crappy weather or what but I've been sick a lot lately (before tane too, not blaming that) Swimming today after work, may need to pack a travel bag of moisturizers in case I can't get home right after my swim since last time it was about 2 1/2 hours later before i got home, and it was terrible.

Day 12: Getting worse before getting better.