Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dostoyevsky

Please help... finding the candida diet impossible!

I've recently discovered that I may have candida which may be the main reason I have acne. The problem is, there's so much conflicting 'advice' on the internet that I don't know what I can eat, if anything!

Just some examples of foods which some places claim you can eat while others say you can't include:

Beans

Soy Milk

Fermented products (but I've seen that Miso is ok which is in fact fermented soy beans)

Salt

Cooking Oil

Dried Fruit

Nuts

It appears that this diet could be impossible for me. I have good will power (I'm vegan and gave up gluten just over a month ago) but I don't know how to still be healthy by following a candida diet, even if I can find out what this would involve!

So can anyone give me any genuine advice? I've read that you should only have one bowl of rice a week. I eat brown rice around 3-4 times a week. Also in the morning I have a cereal made of puffed rice, buckwheat and millet with nuts and dried fruit... something else which I've read I now can't eat.

Lunch is do-able, I can have a huge bowl of veggie soup but must give up the gluten free rice bread I've been 'treating' myself to as not only does it contain rice but also yeast which is a major no-no.

It seems for dinner, my only option is again, vegetables but I can't even have potatoes or anything to season these steamed/boiled veggies with. I have nothing to snack on. Not even fruit or nuts.

I really don't know hat to do. Who can I trust when it comes to candida advice and what the hell am I supposed to eat from now on??

Which candida diets have you been looking at? Have you found ones that are vegan?

Most candida diets I've heard of are low-carbohydrate, and I can imagine that it would be unnecessarily difficult on yourself to attempt a low-carbohydrate vegan diet.

The most legit candida diet I've seen consists predominantly of meat, eggs, and vegetables. You can see it at http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/intro2.php.

I've been looking at lots of different sites but they all contradict eachother. If I just had a definitive list of what you can and can't eat, it would be ok but I'm finding it impossible.

For now I'm just going to cut down on sugar, especially fruit which I eat a lot of and maybe reduce my carbs. I guess I'll worry about a strict candida diet if and when I'm properly diagnosed.

There is a vegan diet called 80-10-10 that I know some Candida sufferers swear by. The founder devotes a good portion of his book to what he believes is the best way to beat candida overgrowth (and current misconceptions about ways to treat it). Unfortunately, the diet is as radical, if not more radical than those high meat diets you see posted on the internet.

You can read about Candida and 80-10-10 here: http://naturalhealthremediesanddetox.blogs...fat-theory.html

There is a vegan diet called 80-10-10 that I know some Candida sufferers swear by. The founder devotes a good portion of his book to what he believes is the best way to beat candida overgrowth (and current misconceptions about ways to treat it). Unfortunately, the diet is as radical, if not more radical than those high meat diets you see posted on the internet.

You can read about Candida and 80-10-10 here: http://naturalhealthremediesanddetox.blogs...fat-theory.html

Thanks! That article looks interesting. I'll probably give it a go if simply cutting down on sugar and carbs doesn't work.

Don't forget that when doing a candida diet, it's also crucial to supplement with good bacteria to REPLACE the imbalance you've got. Although some sites may advise against it, I highly recommend unpasteurized sauerkraut if you can find it (check health food stores) and a good lactobacillus-based probiotic (rather than a blend; it's usually the lactobacillus species that need replenishing; apparently the bifidum species are usually present in abundance in cases of candida or bacterial imbalances).

Don't forget that when doing a candida diet, it's also crucial to supplement with good bacteria to REPLACE the imbalance you've got. Although some sites may advise against it, I highly recommend unpasteurized sauerkraut if you can find it (check health food stores) and a good lactobacillus-based probiotic (rather than a blend; it's usually the lactobacillus species that need replenishing; apparently the bifidum species are usually present in abundance in cases of candida or bacterial imbalances).

What exactly is sauerkraut? Also, do you know of any sources of this probiotic you mention? The only probiotics I've seen all contain Milk which I don't drink. I'm assuming if it's got 'lacto' in the name it will probably be made of milk.

What exactly is sauerkraut? Also, do you know of any sources of this probiotic you mention? The only probiotics I've seen all contain Milk which I don't drink. I'm assuming if it's got 'lacto' in the name it will probably be made of milk.

Sauerkraut is a German cabbage dish, sort of like coleslaw. Can you try to find your probiotics in capsule form? That way you don't have to drink it.

Some of the items on those lists are there because they might have molds. And yeah, I understand your confusion. When I read any of those sites or lists, I get the feeling they are just guessing. Other than the parts about avoiding sugars and refined carbs.

I've been looking at lots of different sites but they all contradict eachother. If I just had a definitive list of what you can and can't eat, it would be ok but I'm finding it impossible.

I asked because I assume you would like to remain vegan, but I'm guessing you're looking at candida diets that aren't intended for vegans at all.

mike wf gave you a link to a vegan candida diet; I suggest you try the diet outlined in that link, and if you feel that it hasn't worked, then you can try something else. The fact is that there are a lot of conflicting ideas about what should belong in a candida diet, and no one can definitively tell you that a certain diet for candida is good or bad, given the shoddy research.

Sauerkraut is essentially fermented cabbage.

Lactobacillus is not necessarily found in dairy, you can get lacto-fermented vegetables in some grocery stores (sauerkraut is actually a lacto-ferment as well). As far as capsules go; this is the brand I've been taking with great results; http://www.totalhealthvitamins.net/product.../mega_probiotic

It does say it contains milk, but unless you're highly intolerant to it, I doubt you'll have a reaction (my chiropractor who put me on it told me it's a trace amount and she's had people who have sensitivities to dairy do fine with it). If I'm not mistaken, these bacteria actually help in digesting dairy as well; I've read of many people's dairy sensitivities being "cured" after a good course of lactobacilli treatment *check into it for yourself though just to be sure.

You could probably find a dairy-free one too if you look hard enough (I'd also avoid FOS if you can; they're a no-no on the specific carbohydrate diet and if you've got bacterial overgrowth, I think they'd be just as likely to feed the imbalance than feed the beneficial bacteria you're putting in).

Sauerkraut is essentially fermented cabbage.

Lactobacillus is not necessarily found in dairy, you can get lacto-fermented vegetables in some grocery stores (sauerkraut is actually a lacto-ferment as well). As far as capsules go; this is the brand I've been taking with great results; http://www.totalhealthvitamins.net/product.../mega_probiotic

It does say it contains milk, but unless you're highly intolerant to it, I doubt you'll have a reaction (my chiropractor who put me on it told me it's a trace amount and she's had people who have sensitivities to dairy do fine with it). If I'm not mistaken, these bacteria actually help in digesting dairy as well; I've read of many people's dairy sensitivities being "cured" after a good course of lactobacilli treatment *check into it for yourself though just to be sure.

You could probably find a dairy-free one too if you look hard enough (I'd also avoid FOS if you can; they're a no-no on the specific carbohydrate diet and if you've got bacterial overgrowth, I think they'd be just as likely to feed the imbalance than feed the beneficial bacteria you're putting in).

I've seen quite a few probiotics made without dairy, if that's something that concerns you. All flora by new chapter is supposed to be a good product. And someone on this board recently had something good to say about healthy trinity by natren, which is also dairy free, although I've heard it's really expensive.

By the way, there's a tea called kombucha that's supposed to be quite high in probiotics. I see it at the supermarket and it seems really popular. Don't know if anyone on this board has tried it or made their own.