Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wilson05

Does working out (aka body building) cause acne?

Hi all,

Basically seem to have my acne under control due to

Taking lots of supplements

Eating healthy (used to eat s***, now eat lods of fruit & veg, no diary, all bad food in moderation)

Applying lemon juice topically in the morning, BP in the evening

My question is: will working out and eating more calories cause me to break out again?

I used to work out and my acne was really bad, and I think it was a factor.

I went to the gym last week, pushed myself on the weights, came home and eat two tins of mackeral on top of my tea - and had a massive cyst the next day.

any advice much appreciated

cheers

since i started working out i notice less pimples on my face. exercise takes off stress so its good for you. exercise regularly

No. Exercise does not cause acne. It is your BP that gives you that cysts.

Hm , I use BP %2 twice a day, my skins looks very nice.

:)

Hi all,

Eating healthy (used to eat s***, now eat lods of fruit & veg, no diary, all bad food in moderation)

My question is: will working out and eating more calories cause me to break out again?

I went to the gym last week, pushed myself on the weights, came home and eat two tins of mackeral on top of my tea - and had a massive cyst the next day.

cheers

I exercise everyday , well I used too. I am in college now , so , I only go like 3 times a week.

I've decided to go everyday cause I am getting weak. ^

Hi all,

cheers

I exercise everyday , well I used too. I am in college now , so , I only go like 3 times a week.

dude whats your supplements right now? can you suggest supplements for me? im just a beginer and i lift wieghts for only a month now.

Hi all,

cheers

dude whats your supplements right now? can you suggest supplements for me? im just a beginer and i lift wieghts for only a month now.

Asda Omega 3 + Garlic

ASDA skin hair & nail supplements

Seven Seas Zinc (+vitamin c)

Hi all,

cheers

I don't take any supplements.

But I drink whey protein Isolate ( from jay robb )

Pricey , though, but good quality.

@Eddie

Good luck on you! ;)

Don't forget me when you get your next breakout.

Yeah, I said to myself long time ago that if I break out then I will stop using proactiv.

I am in college , so I don't want to stop using then get break outs. I'm 22 , I must keep studying.

Learning English. :(

I am wasting $ because I am failing. lol

@Eddie

Good luck on you! ;)

Don't forget me when you get your next breakout.

Yeah, I said to myself long time ago that if I break out then I will stop using proactiv.

I am in college , so I don't want to stop using then get break outs. I'm 22 , I must keep studying.

Learning English. :(

I am wasting $ because I am failing. lol

I was reading the comments on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbsJRGNXXQ

and there are good reviews about proactiv.

That it works...

that it takes months to work...

you need to wash or rinse your face off immediately after you workout. taking a shower would be even better. If you let the sweat sit on your face it will clog your pores and cause acne

you need to wash or rinse your face off immediately after you workout. taking a shower would be even better. If you let the sweat sit on your face it will clog your pores and cause acne

not true man. Sweat will not clog your pores

not true man. Sweat will not clog your pores

Everyone would have acne if it was true. lol

I honestly believe bodybuilding will make your acne worst it does mine! Bodybuilding increases testosterone which the body converts into Dihydrotestosterone a very potent androgen

(primarily formed in the prostate gland, testes, hair follicles, and adrenal glands). Dht formed in the hair follicles aggravate the sebaceous glands increasing oil production which leads to acne. If your like me and dont what to stop lifting try a Dht blocker-shen min sell a herbal one in tablet form, and nizoral shampoo works topically.

Be warned research it for yourself properly as blocking too much Dht can cause unwanted side effects such as problems with your manhood lol.

Yes, body building can cause acne. Naturally it doesn't for everyone just like some people can eat anything and have hardly ever had a pimple in their life. Especially when your lifting heavy to gain mass your body is going to produce more testosterone in order for you to gain muscle. Squats are one exercises most do that produces the most testosterone when doing. A lot of body builders in their later 20's and older also start to take Test boosters as well. I haven't studied up on it but like dugary1234 stated it has a lot to do with the conversion process to excess DHT I think and for some people it causes you to break out, especially in places like your back and shoulders. Testosterone is a steroid hormone so the fluctuation in hormone levels is likely what triggers it. Your also going to have insulin spikes with working out when you eat a lot of carbs so that's something else that can cause acne.

The biggest thing I would say avoid though is the supplements. Creatine is one of the most popular supplements to take with body building and it can flare acne. It also dehydrates the body. You'll also want to make sure you get a really good whey protein isolate if you plan to use one because some whey proteins like MuscleMilk can also cause acne for some.

I think it depends on a lot of things. Without fully knowing what your body is going through to cause the acne, I don't think anyone can wisely say that bodybuilding doesn't cause acne. There are times when I thought it may have contributed. Like when I had a really heavy workout where I tore down a lot of muscle, a lot of times I would feel fatigued and weak and wake up with a fresh patch. I think your bodybuilding diet is also something to think about. I think, for the most part, that exercise is more on the beneficial side though. On the other hand, you could be exacerbating your condition with the extra strain on your system. Too many things to consider to say it's one way or the other.

I agree with you on at least rinsing off after sweating. Can't say exactly why, but if i let sweat dry and sit on my face too long, it causes acne for me too. Someone said it doesn't clog your pores.... maybe so, but it sure gives me acne one way or another.

I agree with you on at least rinsing off after sweating. Can't say exactly why, but if i let sweat dry and sit on my face too long, it causes acne for me too. Someone said it doesn't clog your pores.... maybe so, but it sure gives me acne one way or another.

I would think sweat provides a good environment for bacteria to flourish on your face (and other areas).

Does anyone else find that when they work out their face burns? Because mine does. I don't know if I break out more from working out or not but the pain from my face sweating has been so bad lately that I've stopped working out, which I hate because I like to stay in shape.

It does NOT cause acne, but if you already suffer from acne it can make it worse. First because when you workout your levels of testosterone increase, then because of the excesive sweat that might cause instability in your skin. Thats my humble opinion

It does NOT cause acne, but if you already suffer from acne it can make it worse. First because when you workout your levels of testosterone increase, then because of the excesive sweat that might cause instability in your skin. Thats my humble opinion

I go to the gym almost everyday , I've suffered from acne since at age 14. I am 22 now and I've been working out for 8 months. I only got like 2 small acne.

My skin looks much more clear. The red marks slowly faded away.

Is just expensive if you want to have muscles. You must eat high protein

and eat healthy not to gain unwanted fat.

Does anyone else find that when they work out their face burns? Because mine does. I don't know if I break out more from working out or not but the pain from my face sweating has been so bad lately that I've stopped working out, which I hate because I like to stay in shape.

What are you taking and/or putting on your face? Are you doing peels or microdermabrasion? It sounds like your skin is in an extra sensitive/raw state if sweating causes it to burn. It would help to know what you're using on it and taking internally.

I go to the gym almost everyday , I've suffered from acne since at age 14. I am 22 now and I've been working out for 8 months. I only got like 2 small acne.

My skin looks much more clear. The red marks slowly faded away.

Is just expensive if you want to have muscles. You must eat high protein

and eat healthy not to gain unwanted fat.

Did you have backne or chest acne? Because I was refering to that kind of acne. Well, i go to the gym as well, and there was a time when i had backne and some chest acne. A dermathologist told me that it didnt matter but another doc told me that it could. Thing is that it got worse so i stopped going to the gym. Btw, you dont need to consume high levels of protein in order to get muscular, your body will use certain amount of protein for muscle repair purposes only, doesnt matter if you consume 20 or 200 grams per day. Its said that you need to consume 15 grams more of protein per day, which is more than one scoop in many cases.

What are you taking and/or putting on your face? Are you doing peels or microdermabrasion? It sounds like your skin is in an extra sensitive/raw state if sweating causes it to burn. It would help to know what you're using on it and taking internally.

I use Aczone during the day and Retin-A Micro (to fade my red marks) at night. I wash them off before I work out, but I think you're right about the Retin-A Micro making my skin super-sensitive. It isn't really working anyway and I've been on it for 8 months so it might not be worth it to use it anymore considering the side effects. I guess I'm just afraid that I'll break out really bad if I stop using it, but maybe I should switch to something gentler that won't irritate my face as much-any suggestions?