Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Concerning the initial breakout with retinoids

I started using green cream level 6 about a month ago. Despite the advice to start slow, knowing my skin I went straight to daily application. My face handled it well, just minor peeling/redness which cleared up after the first week or so.

One month in I am now alternating with level 9 green cream every couple days instead of level 6. I had a couple very minor breakouts before, but now it is pretty much all over my face. It isn't serious really, but much worse than normal for me.

I've heard two completely different strategies to getting through the initial breakout. Kevin, a seemingly very knowledgeable guy who admins on the green cream boards suggests applying the retinoid continuously as often as tolerable to speed you through the initial breakout phase.

I've also read some other info online which said just the opposite. It actually suggested stopping application of the retinoid until your skin calmed down. I've read to do this if you experience bad irritation and peeling, but not for breakouts.

So which is the right answer? What do dermatologists recommend when they prescribe retinoids?

Hi, timbo. I'm going to move this thread to the OTC area where others use Green Cream. Hopefully someone over there that's familiar with it can give you some helpful advice. :)