Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

im new to this site

im 17 and as of today i havent left my house in 12 days

i just sit around my room, smoke my cigs, watch basic cable, and im getting about 19 hours of sleep a day

i dropped out of high school a while ago because i just couldnt take going, i didnt learn, it was just painful looking at everyone else and wondering what it was like to be them and what it was like to have complexion like theirs.

i ditched all my friends, i dont have any anymore.

i like it this way for now, but id love if my skin could clear up and i could get back to my life.

Well i can relate somewhat to you. I'm 18 years old and graduated high school last year. My acne didn't flare up untill a few weeks after graduation last June (lucky i guess that it didn't happen during school) I am taking a year off before college so that is this year and I am just working. The place I work is small and I don't deal with customers or anything so nobody really had to see my complexion I was pretty excluded I don't know how I would have handled it if I was still in school with tons of other people. However I finally got my acne under control and I no longer get pimples thanks to Benzoyl Peroxide, I recomend you try it and I also recommend you go back to school and get your diploma. I considered dropping out of high school as well due to other reasons (i didn't have bad skin so that wasn't one of them) but ultimately I decided to stay in and am very glad I did. I'd recommend starting on Benzoyl Peroxide immediately and getting registered for school again ASAP. You can't be very happy with your life right now I know I wasn't earlier this year. I was no longer in school and obviously dfidn't interact with people at my job because there hardly were any people and I didn't want to go and hang out with friends because of my skin and it was extremely lonely and hard to deal with and everytime I'd watch TV or movies I'd think about all the stuff i'm missing out on. See your doctor and he will let you know how to clear it up and what will work best for you but go live your life in the meantime! don't let acne stop you! and then once it's gone you can live your life even better!

When i was a teenager i used to skip school all the time.

I watched TV and slept most of the day just like you :D

Looking back though i wish i went to school more

and did better. Worked hard and got good grades

you will regret it later in life.

I did have fun skipping school

don't get me wrong and i did not skip

because of my skin (even though it was bad)

i was just lazy and thought that i knew enough.

You should go back to school

get your head down and work hard

because the harder you work now

the less hard work you will have to do later in life.

School is not about making friends or getting laid

it's about making a solid start in life and buliding for the road ahead.

If you have health insurance, I would highly recommend you see a therapist. I would hate for you to sink into severe depression. You are withdrawing yourself from all social situations, which may cause you to become even more depressed and develop social anxiety disorder. I've been there, and trust me, you don't want to go that route.

I am concerned with the fact that you have dropped out of school. Though, in no way do I judge you for it. I know how it feels when you think everyone is staring at you and thinking "oh he is so hideous and gross". The truth is, most people are so concerned about their own appearance, no matter how attractive they may seem to you. I've met several gorgeous women, whose self esteem was shit, due to many factors (e.g., abusive parents, boyfriends, etc). So please believe me, that even the 'pretty' people are extremely self-conscious.

You are very young and you have your whole life ahead of you. I would highly suggest you try and be more proactive about your life. Since school is too much for you at this point, find a home-schooling program or something along the lines, so that you are able to make up the work which you have missed out on. In the meantime, I truly believe consulting to a therapist might help you a lot. Please give it a try? I mean, what have you got to lose?

PS: I noticed your user name. And I too used to smoke pot. I would also advice against that. Many of my friends developed anxiety and had suffered from panic attacks due to marijuana. It messes with your hormones, and may even contribute to some of your acne. If I may ask, why do you smoke?

17 years old. You're so young. While I don't dismiss acne as an insignificant problem, it does give me a great amount of pain to read that it has captured another life. Acne is on the exterior, so everyone gets to see our problem. There are some people who will be jerks about your condition, but the greater majority will accept you. I don't judge you for dropping out of school. But I do want you to remember that you're in school to, like super star wrote, make a solid start in life and the road ahead.

im new to this site

im 17 and as of today i havent left my house in 12 days

i just sit around my room, smoke my cigs, watch basic cable, and im getting about 19 hours of sleep a day

i dropped out of high school a while ago because i just couldnt take going, i didnt learn, it was just painful looking at everyone else and wondering what it was like to be them and what it was like to have complexion like theirs.

i ditched all my friends, i dont have any anymore.

i like it this way for now, but id love if my skin could clear up and i could get back to my life.

My heart really goes out to you :(

I am guilty of making the same mistakes although Ive done it much later in life. My acne started 18mths to 2yrs ago. I stopped going out, I didnt have friends as we had just bought our own home hundreds of miles away from anyone we knew. My life took a real turn for the worse. I stayed in and avoided the school run at all costs, seeing the other perfect mums was so painful.

So I have spent the last 18mths of my life making new friends on the internet, they couldnt see me so they couldnt judge. NOTHING compares to real people though.

Being inside all day will only add to the problem, if you are not able to go 'out' just sit in your back garden or even by an open window that gets some sunlight.

Please dont succumb to the beast and stay hidden. The psychological damage caused by loneliness can be so hard to get over, it batters your self esteem and Ill bet you actually feel you are not worth knowing right now.

Well you ARE worth knowing, acne or not. You had friends before, Im sure they didnt care too much about your skin and any ones who poked fun, THEY are the ones not worth knowing.

I am now able to leave the house again, I take the kids to the park, do the school run and try to ignore my face as much as I can.

You can do it, you just have to try x x x x

Have you considered enrolling in an online HS? That might be something for you.

I understand how bad it can get and don't judge you either for dropping out. I was close to do that also, but since I had no other options and knew that the only way I could get away from my old hometown and the people I hated was to finish HS and get into Uni, so I pulled myself through HS and am now living far away studying in a Uni.

Definately try to get out of the house as soon as possible and get some fresh air. The longer you stay inside, the harder it'll get to go outside. When my acne was at it's worst, I would still take walks outside (after dark). Kept me sane and my body functions normal.

Stop thinking about other's skin. Concentrate on other things in life, go to a derm and search this board about stuff you can do to make your skin better.

The truth is, most people are so concerned about their own appearance, no matter how attractive they may seem to you. I've met several gorgeous women, whose self esteem was shit, due to many factors (e.g., abusive parents, boyfriends, etc). So please believe me, that even the 'pretty' people are extremely self-conscious.

I am convinced "gorgeous" people cannot even begin to relate to the self esteem issues that someone suffering say, with severe disfiguring acne has.

No doubt beautiful women often have self esteem issues, but generally, by and large, are like comparing apples to oranges.

The lack of them understanding goes by and far why I have no relationships with them ( and I used to think all this time it was my looks ).

SOS

You feel like you are not learning in HS but it'll get challenging once you start going to college. Pick yourself up and go back to school because the longer you hermit yourself in your home the more difficult it'll get to go back to school later. We all know life is not fair - that's why you need to learn to take that first step again.

The truth is, most people are so concerned about their own appearance, no matter how attractive they may seem to you. I've met several gorgeous women, whose self esteem was shit, due to many factors (e.g., abusive parents, boyfriends, etc). So please believe me, that even the 'pretty' people are extremely self-conscious.

I am convinced "gorgeous" people cannot even begin to relate to the self esteem issues that someone suffering say, with severe disfiguring acne has.

No doubt beautiful women often have self esteem issues, but generally, by and large, are like comparing apples to oranges.

The lack of them understanding goes by and far why I have no relationships with them ( and I used to think all this time it was my looks ).

SOS

Taken from DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Eating Disorders (commonly stereotypically associated with models, aka "beautiful women")

* Lifetime prevalence = 3% (but subclinical rates are more common)

* Sex difference = 90% women

* Age onset

* Anorexia = mid- to late adolescence (14-18)

* Bulimia = late adolescence/early adulthood

Eating Disorders

* Mortality = 10 % for Anorexia

* Comorbidity

* Mood disorders

* Personality disorders

* OCD

Eating Disorders

* Etiology

* Biological

o Modest genetic contribution

* Psychological

o Comorbid mood disorder

o Low self-esteem

Eating Disorders

o Over-involved/enmeshed mother, absent father

o Autonomy and control issues

o Perfectionism (Anorexia)

o Emotional instability and impulsivity (Bulimia)

o Sexual abuse

Notice the mortality rate (10% for Anorexia) , and notice the etiology (e.g., sexual abuse) of the disorder. Then tell me, " gorgeous people cannot even begin to relate to the self esteem issues that someone suffering say, with severe disfiguring acne has." :)