Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eating a pickle vs. a cucumber. Sauerkraut vs a few chunks of cabbage. Pickled olives vs fresh, raw ones.

Is there going to be any difference? Are these generally considered off limits by nutritional crowds, like alkaline/acidic etc. ?

Eating a pickle vs. a cucumber. Sauerkraut vs a few chunks of cabbage. Pickled olives vs fresh, raw ones.

Is there going to be any difference? Are these generally considered off limits by nutritional crowds, like alkaline/acidic etc. ?

Commercially pickled products aren't typically very healthy (there may be exceptions). Things like commercial olives, pickles and sauerkraut though are not pickled/fermented in the traditional sense and lack the beneficial properties of traditionally pickled or fermented products. If you want to eat sauerkraut or another pickled product look for an unpasteurized version (the olives in olive bars are usually done traditionally, and unpasteurized sauerkraut can typically be found in the refrigerated section of health food stores).

Also, unpasteurized sauerkraut vs raw cabbage is a no contest IMO; fermenting foods gives them a whole host of beneficial properties and increases absorption of the nutrients present within the food itself. If you want more info on this topic I highly recommend "Wild Fermentation" by Katz (I think his first name is Sandor but I'm not sure).

Pickled and fermented foods are awesome, it's like pre-digesting your food and making it easier on your stomach. But, screw the storebought stuff! Make your own, it's MUCH healthier, you can make big batches for an easy snack, and you can tweak the ingredients to your liking.

Home-made Kimchi Recipe:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/recipe180.php

Home-made Sauerkraut:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/recipe252.php

Home-made Pickles:

http://www.essortment.com/food/foodpreparation_sabw.htm

You can also make pickled carrots! Most of the recipes online call for sugar, but the ones we make don't have sugar in them. I don't think we have a recipe...We grow carrots in the summer and pickle them for year-round.

MMm...I just had a bunch of homemade sauerkraut for breakfast, it is my favorite. Store bought kinds are nothing like the kind you make at home. As for carrots, I grate ginger and then "pickle" them in whey and water. Very good stuff.

I eat pickled herrings because they're a great source of Vitamin D, and I generally don't eat most fish or seafood. I was wondering about the effects of pickling, and if this would drain or somehow reduce some of the nutritional content from it. I would hope it's okay, the ingredients list acetic acid, which is just what's in vinegar... This topic has relieved me a little, so I'll probably keep eating them.