Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volcom3453

acne worsens when i come home. Why?

Okay. So I go to college and for the past 3 months I have been there and using my acne products of course, and the past few weeks my skin has been great, nearly flawless on my terms.

But today is my first day back for spring break. I've been back for only about 5 hours, and my skin is already feeling oily and i feel a few new blemishes forming. Why the hell does this happen I honestly don't see how it makes much sense?

It's depressing because I'd like to go home and relax but when my acne forms relaxing completely is rather difficult. Anything to stop this? Could it be that I drank one glass of milk? I've heard milk might be a cause for acne, and I don't think I had it once since Mid January.

Thoughts??

it could be your change in diet. it could also be cuz of the different mirrors. i've always noticed that my skin looks better in some lighting/mirrors than it does in others.

it could be your change in diet. it could also be cuz of the different mirrors. i've always noticed that my skin looks better in some lighting/mirrors than it does in others.

all i had was steak, mushrooms, potatoes and broccoli and milk for dinner. I eat less and more unhealthy at school normally.

My skin feels more oily too so it's not just the mirrors, although I do look different in them of course.

not at all. it's spring break, I only take a shower and don't overwash. Since it's break I'm completely non-stressed and no change in routine. It has to be something about in my house that makes my skin oily. I mean, I live in the dorms in the city and my home is 20 minutes away in the suburbs. It just makes no sense.

wow man that is puzzling. i found that whenever i wuz using acne products everyday that i would never understand why i got random pimples either. now that i dont use anything but water i expect everyday when i wake up to walk to the mirror and NOT see a new pimple. whenever i wuz putting those chemicals on my face it was a toss-up whether or not i would have new acne each day.

The water in your home may have more ions present...

get a filter/ water softener and it should be better.

So puzzling! Do you think it could be emotional? Like maybe it happened by coincidence a few times so now you are sub-consciously stressing about going home?

OR maybe its your body winding down ready for a break, keeping busy at school may actually help your body function normally and then when it has a chance to 'let its hair down' all hell breaks loose? Does your skin take any longer to clear up at home?

I mean I didn't even have any midterms this week so I had really not much to do. Coming home is really relaxing and I feel like I have nothing to do and worry about, but literally hours into being home my face, hands and body just feel more oily and my skin seems a bit worse today already.

The only thing I can think of is that I had milk with a bunch of foods I don't normally eat at school, but I don't see how that would make my skin oily.

Well, there you go. Do you usually drink milk at school? Some people have skin that reacts quite badly to it. All the other factors seem to be a no-go, so perhaps it's the diet change that's making you break out. What do you usually eat at school? Maybe you should revert to those meals just to see what happens, because I really can't think of anything else that could be affecting your skin, especially if you live 20 minutes away from school and haven't showered yet.

Breakfast at school:

Danish and Water

Lunch:

Sandwiches, chicken sandwich sometimes and water

Dinner:

Burgers, Pizza, whatever really and Water

So far here I've had:

Steak, mushrooms, mashed potatoes, fries, broccoli, a lot of fruit and milk

Are you going to be going to bed/waking up later? On breaks I sleep late and stay up late and my skin freaks out, but when things get back normal my skin clears up.

well yea ill be doing both, but my schedule was kinda sporadic even during school. My face again today is much oilier than at school and i have a good number of new spots.

Seriously, every time I visit home my skin clears up. When I head back down to school breakout city! I believe it's the water, as San Diego water is shiiiity.

I know water kind of affects my skin, but I'm almost sure now that milk in a way restarted oil production. It's the only thing that makes sense, and even if I have to suffer with this breakout and oiliness now, I feel like I've solved a big problem w/ my acne. If anyone drinks a lot of milk and they have bad skin, stop drinking it for a month and see how it improves.

Yeah, some people do have trigger foods and it sounds like milk is your trigger. I don't have any, which is pretty cool, especially since I love vanilla lattes from Starbucks! Couldn't imagine giving up milk...good that you can help your acne by reducing a certain food from your diet!

yeah, now I just need to be more mindful of my diet, because I can kinda relate some breakouts to milk products I've had around that time. Like I came home for winter break, and before that i drank no milk and skin was fine. My skin became worse all break and it has to be because I drank milk.

I can keep this thread alive and see how my skin improves in these next few weeks. If it begins to get less oily while I'm at home I think I have a cause. Thanks for all the insight and help everyone!

I tried removing dairy from my diet during my last severe breakout, which was two years ago. I did not notice significant improvement, but the pustules did not seem as irritated as they did before. My diet consisted of mostly hamburgers, pizza, and anything fried (which I have now changed). You should incorporate more raw vegetables and nutrient dense food. Start off by cutting out red meat, or looking towards adding some foods with a low GI index. Cut out the processed junk. Who's to say what caused this new breakout. At least by trying this, you will be taking positive steps toward a more healthy lifestyle. I recommend researching the link between diet and acne if you haven't already done so. Keep us posted on this.

Also, anytime I tried using protein powder (such as gnc pro performance) two or three pimples would arrive by the morning, and at the end of the week I would have up to six new pimples scattered across my face. I've tried experimenting with this at least three different times, and I get the same results. I don't know if you use protein powder, but this is just an example that I'm using to show that some of us do have triggers that immediately sprout a new pimple or two.

Also, anytime I tried using protein powder (such as gnc pro performance) two or three pimples would arrive by the morning, and at the end of the week I would have up to six new pimples scattered across my face. I've tried experimenting with this at least three different times, and I get the same results. I don't know if you use protein powder, but this is just an example that I'm using to show that some of us do have triggers that immediately sprout a new pimple or two.

I actually take protein powder every 2 days, but I had been doing it for about 1-2 months straight before i got back home with no apparent breakouts because of it. Ill keep people informed though. Muck Filk.