Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, everybody. I have a question for you. I know that accutane needs a certain amount of fat to be absorbed properly. The question is... how much fat? Like, how many grams and/or fat calories? I put on ten pounds over the winter and want to get it all off before the summer, so fat is not my friend right now and I don't want to be taking in more than I need for the accutane to work correctly. I'm taking 40mgs a day, if that information is at all useful. Help? :think: Thanks!

I don't worry about eating a certain amount of fat. I just take it after a meal and after the fish oil. Works great for me.

Ahh! I was wondering about that too!! I might just be paranoid but I feel like I've gained a pound or two since I've started Accutane, since I don't usually eat much fat (especially at breakfast!) and I have been eating a bit of chocolate or PB to make sure it absorbs, but it sucks to "force feed' yourself fat when you don't really want it...

I'd actually read a post from someone who claimed that drinking two tablespoons of olive oil with your pill is a good way to go. It's got a good amount of fat in it, but it's almost completely good fats. Sounds a little yucky, though, but maybe it would be worth a try...? Others on that thread agreed and said it was a good way to go. :think:

Isotretinoin (the active 'thing' in Accutane) is a Vitamin A derivative, which means it is fat (and not water) soluble. If you will take a 20mg pill on an empty stomach, it will probably be something along the equivalency of taking 10mg since it is not absorbed well.

I pop 2x20mgs a day, one in the dinner and one during supper. I believe that most average meals (including yours) should contains enough fats for adequate absorption of Accutane, but adding some Olive oil to you salad (or any "good", non-saturated oil, such as Flaxseed etc) can be a good idea and will probably not do much to your weight.

I have completely changed my diet from average to vegetable-dominated, reducing saturated fats (less meat) and completely removing dairy. I use quite a lot of Olive oil, but still, a few months after this diet change, I have lost quite a few kilograms.

Good luck with the 'Tane!