Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Week 1 and 2: Complexion seemed to improve, broke out but not as much, red marks appeared to fade.

Week 3: And so the purging begins! Every day I breakout and it really sucks. I do notice that my red marks are fading faster, though.

Week 4: Continued to purge in the beginning of the week, but it slightly subsided.

Week 5: Had microdermabrasion done and totally ruined everything. The beginning of the week was looking pretty good, then the Differin and micro together screwed me. My face was hot, dry, red, blotchy and in horrible condition for about four days. I'm also breaking out a heck of a lot more and it's been a week since the micro. I don't know if this is still from the bad reaction or more purging.

Hey, I'm using Differin too.

Is there one point while using it that it will just stop working, Or the only time it will do that is when your skin is 100% clear?

I've been using Differin for about thirteen or fourteen weeks, and although there has been some improvement, it's looked the same way for about four-five weeks ;(

Week 6: Big improvement. I'm still breaking out but not as much, and the breakouts are smaller pimples rather than big(ger) ones. The breakouts this week were basically all around my chin area. I also have one bigger one on my upper cheek bone. My skin is kinda of dry this week, though. Idk? I also noticed that my skin is feeling smoother. I have do have some little marks from the microdermabrasion/extraction incident two weeks ago. Hopefully with week seven I'll improve some more!

Week 7: So, this week has been very strange. There were days I looked in the mirror and things looked pretty good, and then there were days that were complete opposite. All in all, I think my purging is finally dying down, slowly. Very slowly. The breakouts this week basically were near my laugh lines. I have had very bad comodones there since last summer, and this week they finally started to diminish. Unfortunately, the are all becoming inflamed. Currently, I have two red bumps on my right cheek. There don't have very big heads, but are red so that makes it noticeable. Another positive note aside from the purging slowing down, is my old red marks are definitely almost faded. My only problem now is the red marks from the purging pimples. We'll see what happens this week. It'll be my eigth week and this is supposed to be a good one according to what I've read. Wish me luck! I'm going to need it.

Oh! Two more things I want to add - My skin isn't as dry and it doesn't hurt to eat or talk as much anymore. During the more intense purging, I was getting pimples in the worst possible spots and it was quite painful to smile, eat and move my mouth or scrunch my face. This is definitely a huge improvement for me.

Hey I've been using differin for over 5months my skin defenetly has gotten better I am only left with red marks on my cheeks which I hate but they will occasionally fade ! Anyway it was a bad choice for you getting microdermabrasion done that's a no no when using differin gel ! U need to stay away from any laser procdledure anyway I hope you will see more improvements! Keep In mind what I told u!

Kevin

Hey I've been using differin for over 5months my skin defenetly has gotten better I am only left with red marks on my cheeks which I hate but they will occasionally fade ! Anyway it was a bad choice for you getting microdermabrasion done that's a no no when using differin gel ! U need to stay away from any laser procdledure anyway I hope you will see more improvements! Keep In mind what I told u!

Kevin

Thanks for the reply!

& yeah... the micro was STUPID. I've learned my lesson, forsure. :)

Week 8: Not much improvement from week 7. Purging is still SLOWLY decreasing. However, I noticed this morning my forehead is acting very strange. I'm getting all these little pimples all over. Hopefully the clear up soon. The comodones on my laugh line area I told you all about before are still purging. Very understandable though because they were incredibly deep (after all, they've been there since the summer). My high cheeks are very clear with just a hyperpigmentation. I would really like to add a cleanser to my routine, but I don't know what's good for being on Differin. My goal for week nine is to really get my forehead straightened out. It's really bothering me.

Week 9: Pretty good week, I must say! I'll start with the good news first... My cheeks are looking much better! The purging definately is almost gone (I hope) because I only broke out in these areas like 3/4 times. I've noticed my skin feels a lot better, too. There was a little bit of flakiness, though, and I'm still dealing with some hyperpigmentation. Now for the bad news... My forehead continued to breakout. It's weird because it was never my problem area until Differin. I guess it's really cleaning everything out good, haha. I think I broke out in that area almost daily. The second bit of bad news, is I had three cysts this week. The first two were on my nose. One was on the very bottom of my left nostril where it meets the skin of my cheek, and the other was on the side of my nose. Neither really were red. The last one just began to form heavily yesterday. It's on my chin and kind of hurts. It's pretty big, too. I'm now starting week 10 and I am happy with what Differin has done so far. Even though the purging was horrendous, I think it's all going to be worth it in the end.

Week 10: Wow! So much improvement this week! Believe it or not, I only had about 4 new pimples this whole week. So exciting! I hope I don't jinx myself, though... My skin feels so much better. It doesn't hurt to talk, move, or eat. Amazing! A lot of my flakiness on my cheeks cleared up, too. I think it's because I added natural aloe vera to my nightly regimen. I think using that is helping my scars diminish as well. The big thing that happened this week, though, is all of those extremely deep last comedones/whiteheads I had on my cheek since the summer finally erupted. They all became inflamed at the same time, but now they are gone for good and that makes me feel so good! This week have been very good and I hope next week can show more improvements. Is my skin perfect? Hell no! But I see the progression it's making.

I've been thinking about going to a local dermatologist and asking about Differin. I'm 20 now with mild acne and benzoyl peroxide has been my most used acne treatment throughout the years, but I'd like to try something different. I don't know if you've ever used benzoyl peroxide or not, but it's pretty drying on my skin and although it does work for my acne, overall I'm not too happy with the dryness and flakiness it causes. Do you know how Differin compares to benzoyl peroxide as far as this goes? If I were to go on Differin, I'd use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer as well.

Oh, and what's the price like for Differin? Is it expensive or relatively cheap? Thanks.

Sounds like its doing good for you :) Ive just started on Differin today after being on Duac for a few months. The duac helped a little but I soon realised that my big problem was with LOADS of blocked pores which BP doesn't help with. Hopefully it'll be as good with me as you've found it so far!

Ive never had a reaction to Benzoyl Peroxide even at 10% in terms of redness, dryness, etc. My skin is pretty good at handling it, so Im hoping Differin won't be too harsh on it.

And for T.J. I live in the UK, and it's free on the NHS, just had to pay the £7.20 prescription charge.

I've been thinking about going to a local dermatologist and asking about Differin. I'm 20 now with mild acne and benzoyl peroxide has been my most used acne treatment throughout the years, but I'd like to try something different. I don't know if you've ever used benzoyl peroxide or not, but it's pretty drying on my skin and although it does work for my acne, overall I'm not too happy with the dryness and flakiness it causes. Do you know how Differin compares to benzoyl peroxide as far as this goes? If I were to go on Differin, I'd use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer as well.

Oh, and what's the price like for Differin? Is it expensive or relatively cheap? Thanks.

Honestly, I don't think Differin would be a product for you. If you only have mild acne, I would stick to BP. Maybe try a BHA. I don't know? You could talk to your derm, but I don't think he would recommend it for you. About the flakiness - Differin causes it too. During the heavy purging cycles my skin got pretty dry and flaky. It's basically fine now, but I used a moisturizer in the morning and one at night. Also, 100% natural aloe vera works wonders for flakiness. You should try it! The price of Differin is different for everyone according to your insurance. Regulary, it can be very expensive (over $100), but with my insurance I got it for about $70. Good luck and let me know what goes on!

Sounds like its doing good for you :) Ive just started on Differin today after being on Duac for a few months. The duac helped a little but I soon realised that my big problem was with LOADS of blocked pores which BP doesn't help with. Hopefully it'll be as good with me as you've found it so far!

Ive never had a reaction to Benzoyl Peroxide even at 10% in terms of redness, dryness, etc. My skin is pretty good at handling it, so Im hoping Differin won't be too harsh on it.

And for T.J. I live in the UK, and it's free on the NHS, just had to pay the £7.20 prescription charge.

Congrats for getting on Differin! One thing... Don't stop using it! Your skin will probably go through a horrible cycle in which you break out like crazy. That means Differin is working. It's cleaning all those blackheads, whiteheads, blocked pores out and surfacing them. Stick with it and you will be happy. Good luck!

Well, my acne goes from mild to moderate. It's those dang whiteheads, and let me tell ya - nothing takes my confidence away more than some dang ugly whiteheads on my face. I've just been hearing a lot of bad things about BP lately. I like Cetaphil and I saw on their website that they linked off to Differin for acne, so that got me interested. If the effects are similar to BP, I could deal with 'em. BHA's have never worked well for me. Also, I don't have insurance. To be completely honest, I'd rather go through Accutane and get rid of this persistent acne I've had since middle school for good (now 20). But like I said, no insurance and Accutane's a DQ in the military, which I'm thinking about joining. /sadface hehe

Oh, by the way, just tonight I started using Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion instead of Dan's after BP application. And I just bought the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser to use. Hopefully this takes care of flakiness and dryness completely. You think this combo would work just as good as 100% Natural Aloe Vera? I hope it does, I'm spending too much money, lol.

Well, my acne goes from mild to moderate. It's those dang whiteheads, and let me tell ya - nothing takes my confidence away more than some dang ugly whiteheads on my face. I've just been hearing a lot of bad things about BP lately. I like Cetaphil and I saw on their website that they linked off to Differin for acne, so that got me interested. If the effects are similar to BP, I could deal with 'em. BHA's have never worked well for me. Also, I don't have insurance. To be completely honest, I'd rather go through Accutane and get rid of this persistent acne I've had since middle school for good (now 20). But like I said, no insurance and Accutane's a DQ in the military, which I'm thinking about joining. /sadface hehe

Oh, by the way, just tonight I started using Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion instead of Dan's after BP application. And I just bought the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser to use. Hopefully this takes care of flakiness and dryness completely. You think this combo would work just as good as 100% Natural Aloe Vera? I hope it does, I'm spending too much money, lol.

I'm not too familiar with Cetaphil, but a lot of people on the boards use and it and seem to like it. I think you'll be fine. Try reading some reviews on the site: http://www.acne.org/rate.php.

Week 11: I can't believe how fast this week went! My skin is continuing to progress. Still had a few pimples here and there, but they all were pretty small and nothing to be concerned about. It's funny because during my purging process, I noticed each week focused on a certain area. One week it was my chin that broke out, the next was my cheeks, etc. My forehead definitely cleared up but I'm still getting random little pimples on it. My big problem now is the hyperpigmentation. The left side of my face is manageable, but the right side is bad. Sorry there wasn't much to report this week, but not much really happened. To some this week up, I had improvements.

Week 12: I think I can officially say my purging is done! (*Fingers crossed* I hope I'm not jinxing myself.) Another good week. I think I probably broke out 2/3 times at the most. My skin feels so nice to touch, too. Putting the Differin and moisturizer on makes me feel good because my skin isn't as bumpy as it used to be. Yesterday this recurring cyst that comes in between my eyebrows showed up again. It's pretty big but not that red yet. I've been taking ibuprofen for that, so hopefully that will do the trick. The only problem that bothers me now is the hyperpigmentation. My left cheek is manageable, but the right is pretty bad. I guess it's better than having actual pimples, though. Forehead is also looking better too, minus the red marks.

Week 13: This week was weird. There were times I thought my face was contining to progress, and other times I thought it looked worse. Overall, though I think it has improved. My left side continues to stay consistent and my right side is still the bad area. My scars on fading on that side, though. However, I got this painful-to-touch/cyst-like thing. It hasn't formed a head but it is red. Hmm... We'll see what happens.

dude Im 2 weeks into differin and just starting to breakout.. ur in week 13?? shit man Im so scared.. these purple marks that are left behind too.. if I break out like crazy Im gonna be so screwed cause my skin takes months to heal. Not feeling good.