Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greeneyes44

Help! Upcoming Job Interview

So I have been out of work for the past 6 months which is really depressing!

I have also gone through a bad bad breakout period right after I lost my job and only recently has my skin started to clear.

I don’t have to tell you how depressing it can be to have no job, no prospects, and horrible skin all to deal with at the same time. My dog died too from cancer the week before I lost my job and he was my best friend in the world. He was the only living creature I could really let me see me and I felt would love me no matter what I looked like.

Then the week after these two bad things happened the guy I was seeing (who was the only guy I’ve really liked in the last 5 years) dumped me for another girl….and guess what she has flawless sparkly skin! It has been a really depressing 6 months to say the least.

Now that my skin is improving thanks to spironolactone I am slowly starting to piece everything else back together and I was super excited today that I got a call from a company I sent my resume to and NEVER thought they would actually call me in for an interview.

The economy is so bad right now and the job market totally sucks its super competitive. This job has everything that I want. The position, title, salary, and commute are all exactly what I am looking for.

I really really need this job, financially and emotionally! I need to get back out into the world again and start being productive member of society. I know good things won’t happen if I continue to sit home on the couch obsessing over things like I have been.

The interview is Wed. next week and I am just praying that I don’t get any new stress pimples crop up between now and then! I tend to breakout more when I am stressed.

Under normal circumstances when my face is clear I am a confident person but I just feel so beaten down from life lately that it's really hard to get back to that place.

Even with clear skin I am so emotionally insecure right now that inside I still feel like I look horrible and have a hard time looking people in the eyes. My confidence level is extremely low b/c of everything I’ve been thru in the past year. How can I pull it altogether by next week to make a good impression?

I know that the key to a successful interview is to exude super confidence and look the hiring managers in the eye. I am confident I can do the job and am exactly what they are looking for….but I’m so afraid that I will blow it by seeming insecure or desperate….or that my skin will freak out beforehand…

Anyway, that’s my dilemma, thanks for the vent and support. This board has really been a lifesaver for me over the past couple of months.

Hey

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Unfortunately for myself I've done a few interviews with acne and it's a big confidence drain. Once i popped a big pimple before an interview, and during the interview the guy interrupts me to tell me face pimple is oozing, lets just say i didn't get the job.

You need to remember you confident self before the acne. When the interview day comes, wear clothes that make you fell happy, and confident. If you have any good luck charms or anything else use those too.

When you get to the interview tell yourself that you will succeed and just don't worry about the acne. Most interviewers will look past the acne if they see you are well qualified and confident. The acne isn't what will stop you from getting the job.

On an other note. You should read a book called introducing NLP by o'conner and seymore. It will teach you how to deal with difficult situations while remaining confident and clear minded. It will help you get over you dog, acne and regain your confidence. If you want to know more PM me.

Hey

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Unfortunately for myself I've done a few interviews with acne and it's a big confidence drain. Once i popped a big pimple before an interview, and during the interview the guy interrupts me to tell me face pimple is oozing, lets just say i didn't get the job.

You need to remember you confident self before the acne. When the interview day comes, wear clothes that make you fell happy, and confident. If you have any good luck charms or anything else use those too.

When you get to the interview tell yourself that you will succeed and just don't worry about the acne. Most interviewers will look past the acne if they see you are well qualified and confident. The acne isn't what will stop you from getting the job.

On an other note. You should read a book called introducing NLP by o'conner and seymore. It will teach you how to deal with difficult situations while remaining confident and clear minded. It will help you get over you dog, acne and regain your confidence. If you want to know more PM me.

ismoke thank you for the advice. I did save one of my dog's baby teeth and a couple of his whiskers. Maybe I will keep them in my pocket as a good luck charm on the day of the interview :)

You are right that it won't be the acne that stops me from getting the job, it will be the lack of confidence if I fail to exude it. I just find it really hard to "fake" feeling great about yourself when inside you really don't because of acne :(

I'll have to google that book and check it out.

Whenever I get nervous about interviews, I just take a few minutes before I go to bed every night during the week before interview to close my eyes, breathe deeply, and imagine exactly how everything will go down. I try to imagine what the other person will say, and how I'll respond. I picture everything going really well, and both of us smiling.

Not only does it feel good to picture everything going well, but imagining how it's going to go gives me a chance to plan out how I'll respond to any questions that might come up, so I feel more prepared.

And, like ismoke said, wear clothes that look good on you and that make you feel good about yourself. You can do this. Good luck. : )

Greeneyes44, if it's any comfort, know your chance at landing the job is based mostly on if they can find your resume among the stack of 10,000 other applicants!

SOS

Yes that is very true. The crazy thing is I am normally a very confident person. I'm confident with my

looks when my skin is clear and I am probably overly confident in my abilities to do my job. That's because I have 12 years of experience in my field. In fact in the past I have been told that I've come across as overly confident and that isn't a good thing either.

Having acne is a very humbling experience in so many ways.

Sword of Sorrow said it best - chances of even landing an interview in this job market when the hiring managers are being inundated with thousands of resumes for the same position, it's a miracle if your resume ever makes it to the top of the stack and they call. Well, they did so I should feel confident about that. But right now they are looking at paper, when I go there they will be looking at me and let's face it you are scrutinized in interviews.

It's Sunday and my skin is pretty much clear only one little bump but a lot of red scars that can be easily covered by makeup.. The emotional scars I carry however cannot as easily be covered.

I hate acne!

I just had a job interview for a very important position, if I get it it would open so many doors for me. Unfortunately, it went horribly. I tried so hard to not think of my skin, but this job is, like, based on how healthy you look so I just ruined it. I can't sleep now and all I think of is how incompetent I am. I don't want to go outside anymore and am just staying at home. I keep playing over and over the stupid things I said. I am sorry you are having this dillemma as well. My job wasn't necessary money-wise, so I can't imagine how much harder it must be. I am sure you will do well, esp. now that you are clearing up.

Well I wanted to let everyone know I had my interview today and for the most part I would say it went really well. I didn't think about or focus on my skin for even a minute (thanks to Yo Adrienne recommendation to wear Estee Lauder Double Wear it covers everything so you can feel ok in public). I just remained very focused and engaged in answering their questions appropriately and asking good questions back. I was so prepared and relaxed in fact and not thinking about my skin that when I left and used their restroom I looked in the mirror and noticed some of my eyeliner had run (thanks super oily eyelids) and was smeared under my eyes probably during the whole interview. like little spiders..Ugh! If it isn't a big honking zit it's runny makeup! I hope they didn't notice but other than that one faux pas I am feeling pretty good overall. Not sure if they will call me back because they want to pay about $10k less than what I had put down as my minimum salary requirement. But at least I went, made a good impression (eyeliner mishap aside) and felt good about myself for an hour. And hey if nothing else it was a great test so now I know that acne hasn't completely impaired my ability to still "sell" myself in my career, as I had feared.

Tagalong I'm very sorry to hear your interview did not go as well. You are fortunate that you are not in a financial position where you HAVE to take the jobs anyway,. but still I totally understand the feelings of inadequacy and how much confidence, etc that acne can really suck out of you. I hope you do well on your next one. Please keep your chin up, a positive attitude really can help.

I am off to the cosmetics forum to see what can be done about runny eye makeup due to super oily eyelids. It was even a powder eyeliner, on my upper lid only and it still managed to sludge right off after 45 minutes of application. I purposely wore the powder kind so this wouldn't happen..foiled again.