Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squeuty

What do y'all think about tanning beds?

Alright so my father is 45 ans still suffers from acne. However, during the summer, he spends most of his days outside and barely has any spots. So I was wodnering ( since my acne obviously came form his genes ) if sun wouldnt help me as well? Of course I would take sun moderately. Recently, after accutane failure, I decided I'd stop using any chemical products on my skin or in my body.

Also are there non-comedogenic tanning lotions?

exposing yourself to tanning beds is a waste of time...and actually tanning in general is lame.i never get why people think it's a smart idea..whether it's to get that nasty orange "glow" or to rid acne. [no offense to anyone who loves tanning, i just personally don't get it]

i highly doubt it'll help w/ acne. i live in a very sunny state, and i still have light/moderate acne, but i wear enough sunscreen to protect my skin.

anyway...

if you don't want to use chemicals or whatever..you still have to wash your face twice a day and exfoliate once a week...there is no way getting around that if you have acne...

and why not try changing your eating habits...

try to drink water instead of soda

switch cow milk for soy "milk"

eliminate any milk-based product

eat a lot more veggies

eat lean meat only, and don't over do it

make sure you are getting all your vitamins

make sure you get your 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids.

seriously just get the book...The Clear Skin Diet

but along w/ eating healthy you still have to take care of your skin...so don't ruin it by going to tanning beds.

I already eat healthy. Accutane as of now got rid of *most* of my acne. Hope it doesnt come back. Also I dont plan to spend hours upon hours every months in tannaing beds. But 2 of my friends who had acne stopped having it after tanning

Well, I think if you want to tan you have a right to do so! Just do so carefuly.

I too live in a sunny state but usually tan for about a month before summer begins just to get a little color. I don't like to be too tan, but I don't want to be a ghost either.

When I lived in Florida I would of course just go to the beach when I could but I don't have that luxury now. As long as you wear some sunscreen and don't overdo it to the point that you burn or are in the sun all the time, I think it's fine.

As far as sunscreens go, I have read good things about Alba. Their products are usually sold in health food stores. I went to get myself some the other day but the store I went to had all their products, accept for the sunscreen. :rolleyes:

Oh, also wanted to say that my skin looks better tanned as well. I am normally very pale and red spots on pale skin look hideous! So, it may not take them away, but it does help minimize the look of them, I think anyway.

Well, it's better to tan in the sun...because of the important vitamin D you get from the sun and you get a more natural looking color. There is also the safety factor- they say beds are safe and no different than the sun but who knows...

So if you have a choice, I would do the sun.

My skin is literally 100% clear during my summer vacations. Check my gallery - the BB pic. It's only oily skin that I'm dealing with during these periods. The problem here is that acne appears sooner after I come back in the city and every single zit becomes bright white spot and it takes from a month to a 3-4 months for those spots to disappear. This means if you consider taking tanning beds or tanning under the sun you should plan to do it regularly. Other thing you should take in mind with tanning beds: you can't get vit D from them. So.. go for natural sun.

Personally tanning is a cure and not a cure at the same time. I mean, my skin gets clear from tanning but I don't have the option to stay under the sun all year long and on the other hand staying too much under the sun is not very healthy.

Sun/Tanning works because UV light kills bacteria on the surface of the skin. In no way is it a "cure" just a temporary solution. But yeh, during summer I can get my back 100% clear just going to the beach every week.