Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I’ve been giving it a lot of thought and I think that there is a direct link between stress and my acne flare ups. I notice when I’m going through something emotionally difficult that my skin goes absolutely crazy even despite whatever treatments I am on.

Then of course the bad breakouts only cause more emotional stress and damage which perpetuates the vicious cycle stress + breakouts = more stress = more breakouts.

I am sure others must have noticed this same pattern..

So I guess the question is how do you stop stressing about it when it's the last thing you think about before going to bed and the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning?

I’ve been giving it a lot of thought and I think that there is a direct link between stress and my acne flare ups. I notice when I’m going through something emotionally difficult that my skin goes absolutely crazy even despite whatever treatments I am on.

Then of course the bad breakouts only cause more emotional stress and damage which perpetuates the vicious cycle stress + breakouts = more stress = more breakouts.

I am sure others must have noticed this same pattern..

So I guess the question is how do you stop stressing about it when it's the last thing you think about before going to bed and the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning?

i definitely think my acne gets worse when im sresssed out. your hormones probably play a huge role in that too. its very hard to get out of the cycle of stress and breakouts. maybe try to find somethat that relaxes you before bed that gets your mind off your skin. for me, driving around with my windows down or laying in bed with the windows open really relaxes me. or tanning (even though its bad! lol).

Acceptance. You're doing everything possible for your skin. Find other interests to keep your mind occupied. Take care of your body. Meditation and yoga are great for inner peace. Life is full of escapes ready to give us momentary relief from our problems. Stressing shortens your life.

I agree, yoga is a wonderful tool for de-stressing both mind and body.

Have you noticed anything in particular that stresses you out? My only source of stress is my autistic son, sometimes if he's having a bad day, Ill just go and stand at the back door and breathe for a bit before tackling him.

If its work related stress then your employer has a duty to relieve some of that pressure, if its school/study related you can talk to your tutors about it.

Stress has a HUGE impact on acne whether it is the cause of it or not, alleviate that stress and you will give your skin a rest too.

If its a kind of stress that you cant pin down, try getting lots of rest whenever possible, chamomile tea and warm baths (take the tea to the bath with you hehe) work wonders as does talking things through with people, personally I find talking to people here is the best thing Ive ever done, we all have a common interest and we all have different ideas on how to deal with it.

We are all here for you x x x

absolutely....i dont care what derms say, i had one or two pimples max, but my face exploded when i started to have huge amounts of stress. It made it worse. At first i thought it was the cold weather but this winter i had no pimples whatsoever, i think thats because im trying to take it easy, live relaxed....

Titch O'Binky Posted Mar 7 2009, 03:34 AM

I agree, yoga is a wonderful tool for de-stressing both mind and body.

Have you noticed anything in particular that stresses you out? My only source of stress is my autistic son, sometimes if he's having a bad day, Ill just go and stand at the back door and breathe for a bit before tackling him.

If its work related stress then your employer has a duty to relieve some of that pressure, if its school/study related you can talk to your tutors about it.

Stress has a HUGE impact on acne whether it is the cause of it or not, alleviate that stress and you will give your skin a rest too.

If its a kind of stress that you cant pin down, try getting lots of rest whenever possible, chamomile tea and warm baths (take the tea to the bath with you hehe) work wonders as does talking things through with people, personally I find talking to people here is the best thing Ive ever done, we all have a common interest and we all have different ideas on how to deal with it.

We are all here for you x x x

Yes a few months back I was going through a pretty stressful time. My dog died from cancer and a week later I was laid off from my job. Then two weeks after that I found out the guy I had been seeing was cheating on me.

I felt completely alone in the world and totally lost and unlovable with no future prospects.

At the time I wasn't able to go to church or do anything that made me feel good. I was barely able to get off the couch let alone tackle the gym or Yoga. Prior to all this I had occassional flare ups but nothing too dramatic. Then about a month after all these bad things happen and I let myself feel the emotions of it all, my skin just EXPLODED! I went from maybe 3 cysts a month to 3 new ones per day.

The root cause of my acne is hormonal but when I am under severe amounts of stress or emotional turmoil I definitley notice it makes my skin about 70% worse.

It's better now that I have been on sprironolactone to keep the hormonal stuff under control and I am almost clear. I am also back at the gym and church and other social activities which I had previously stopped because of the acne embarassment and funk I was in. It's definitely a vicious cycle. I feel so much better with clear skin, the acne totally added to my stress is my point. And I still have the scars and red marks to prove it. I look in the mirror now and feel like they are my war wounds from the shit I had to recover from. Losing my dog was the worst of it worse than losing the guy and the job. He was my best friend for 14 years and the only living creature to never judge me and completely accept me as I am, acne and all.