Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello ,

I have severe panic attacks. I have a relapse these days .My psychologist prescribed Depram 20 mg for me (1/2 pill day and the same at night) .I break out occasionally when I am under stress or before my menstrual period .I am worried that this med might cause me to break out .I used to take it that was nearly 3 years ago but I can't remember the situation or it's relation ship with acne because I was not concentrating back then on acne problems I was keen on recovering .Please if any one had a similar situation any help would be appreciated .

Sara,

Hello ,

I have severe panic attacks. I have a relapse these days .My psychologist prescribed Depram 20 mg for me (1/2 pill day and the same at night) .I break out occasionally when I am under stress or before my menstrual period .I am worried that this med might cause me to break out .I used to take it that was nearly 3 years ago but I can't remember the situation or it's relation ship with acne because I was not concentrating back then on acne problems I was keen on recovering .Please if any one had a similar situation any help would be appreciated .

Sara,

Hi Sara. I am sorry you are experiencing these panic attacks. I've had this debilitating ailment for a few years. Now of course i am not a doctor but i do find it odd that your GP would prescribe a serious SSRI anti-depressant for panic attacks. Perhaps you could ask him for some benzodiazepines such as Lorazepam (Ativan), Diazepam (Valium) or Alprazolam (Xanax). This would allow you to take the drug as needed, when you actually feel the attack coming on. They work fast (faster with sublingual administration)and don't turn you into a long term zombie , gain a shit ton of weight, lower your libido, like the SSRI WILL DO.

Good Luck!

An SSRI is a much less serious drug than a benzodiazepine. Not only are the side effects greater for benzodiazepines, but they are also highly addictive. It is not good to get into the habit of popping a pill like Xanax every time you start to feel panic, because that is how drug addiction starts. I know this from the experiences of close family members. I think your prescriber made the right choice with an SSRI (if that is what Depram is) because it will stabilize your moods overall and therefore make it much less likely for panic attacks to occur in the first place. I'm sure your therapist can also go over techniques for dealing with panic attacks while they are occurring such as visualization, which has helped me a great deal. Also, to address the post above me, although some people report gaining weight from antidepressants, many people actually lose weight while taking SSRIs. Over my first month on Lexapro I lost 10 pounds and I was thin to begin with. I can assure you that I'm far from a zombie. I finally feel like myself again. The fear of having a panic attack no long keeps me from going out and living my life and socializing with my friends. Having my anxiety level under control has helped me to feel like a normal human being again. It does take about 4 weeks for most SSRIs to start working, but I know many people (unfortunately mental health issues run in my family) who have had positive results with SSRIs. Good luck with your treatment!

Well i know from personal experience not second hand. Taking a benzo at a reasonable dose regularly or when you need it has very little in ways of detrimental side effects. I wouldn't recommend popping a 5mg bar of xanax everyday , but something around 0.5-1mg will get the job done without causing physical or psychological dependence. These drugs have replaced the archaic, highly addictive and very dangerous barbiturates. It is very unlikely taking a closely monitored dosage will lead to dependence or even addiction. I would argue your naive belief that Benzos are more dangerous than SSRIs. In fact i'm trying not to laugh. There have been many studies, documented cases of serious brain damage, psychosis, suicides, increased depression, and DEATH. The german school shooting kid - anti depressants, Cho Seung Hui, Erick Harris Dylan Klebold ALL on anti depressants. I wont even go into the hundreds of class action law suits against Paxil, Prozac, etc. I'm sure some people have a positive reaction to these drugs, but alot more have had a negative reaction.

With anything it comes down to the individual. To the OP, keep all options on the table and discuss them with your GP.

I used to have panic attacks, but I've learned to deal with anxiety and the attacks naturally. Please, please get off of whatever antidepressants you are on, though it would be best to not have ever been on them. The damaging effects of antidepressants are much worse than any condition they "cure." I've seen people I love changed into monsters by antidepressants, so do yourself a favor and get off of them asap.

Panic attacks are completely mental. You feel like you're going to die, but you're not. The first step is to not let them control you. If you start thinking "screw this, I won't let them rule my life," they'll begin to recede. Someone once put it to me like this, "if you worry an hour a day about panic attacks, you'll waste over a year of your life, and what's the worst that can happen? you die? then you'll never have to worry about panic attacks ever again." You can take control of your mental state. Every single person who is on antidepressants for panic attacks has been misdiagnosed and is being harmed immensely. Remember, panic attacks aren't a biological problem, nor are they a disease. There is no magic pill.