Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CF1200

Accutane at 44?

I have had acne since teen years and mild acne throughout my adult years. I currently am using blue light therapy (Tanda) and seeing good results - not perfect but encouraging. It also takes quite a bit of time out of my day. My derm suggested accutane. He says that adults seem to avoid the recurring outbreak. There is a good chance that's all I'll have to do after the cycle. I was on accutane in my early 20's. It worked well and the side effect were minimal. Chapped lips and dry skin that was fine with moisturizer. Can I expect similar side effects? Has anyone done a cycle earlier in life and again 20 years later?

It would be safer to try a low dose course; the liver's been taxed for longer with all sorts of lifestyle issues through some 40 years of living and you want to be gentle with it if possible. :) Your risks for side effects are also considerably lessened with a low-dose, longer term course of Accutane.

I have had acne since teen years and mild acne throughout my adult years. I currently am using blue light therapy (Tanda) and seeing good results - not perfect but encouraging. It also takes quite a bit of time out of my day. My derm suggested accutane. He says that adults seem to avoid the recurring outbreak. There is a good chance that's all I'll have to do after the cycle. I was on accutane in my early 20's. It worked well and the side effect were minimal. Chapped lips and dry skin that was fine with moisturizer. Can I expect similar side effects? Has anyone done a cycle earlier in life and again 20 years later?

Hello- well I am 40 and recently finished my course of Accutane. I started at 20mg then went to 40mg and finished with 60mg. Although it did help get rid of my acne, I feel it made me age by 10 years plus! Just my own opinion- I do not regret taking Accutane, but am battleing to get rid of some of the left overs (wrinkles, redness, etc) from being on it. :cry: