Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yepican

Acne cleared up after dropping topicals but....

So about 3 months ago I dropped my cleanser, Retin-A, and supplements to see how my skin would react by itself. It was a great leap of faith to do this, but I wanted to see if doing all this anti-acne stuff actually was helping my acne. Simply put, the cleanser, the iodine in my multivitamin, and the Retin-A were causing my acne. So my tone and complexion are the best they have been in years, my red marks are fading, I get maybe one teeny tiny little whitehead every week and a half BUT I keep getting this dead skin buildup over just about my entire face. I had been letting it go and not doing anything but for the past 2 weeks I've been scraping it off with my fingernail hoping that it won't return, but sure enough it's back the next night! This is really frustrating. I should add though that the dead skin mask is not as severe as weeks and months before, but I'm not sure I see that it's decreasing anymore over time. I've researched different skin conditions such as psorasis, excema, and seb derm but i dont think i have any of those cuz i don't get dandruff in my scalp, i dont get redness in these areas, and they definetly don't itch. This is pissing me off. I wanna be able to not have to maintainence my face again like I did for the first 14 years of my life! Nowhere else on my body does this freakin' dead skin buildup. As I've stated before in another topic, I think my skin might still be healing itself, but I was discouraged after reading about this guy's similar experience in which his lasted for like over a year.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Excessive...l&p=2064832

Anyone like to share a similar experience or advice? Thanks.

same experience as you here.

I'm in my 4th month of no water or anything

but I would wash away the dead skin mask every month(which I feel is a big no no)

Can't help it as I have to go to school and meet people

Gonna try not washing the dead skin off as I'm on holidays until April(on the 4th week of dead skin now)

One more thing,I feel strange reading Wapak's log cause it seems like his dead skin is gone while our are still there.

No worries regarding the link you posted as he is on water only twice everyday while we are on nothing at all. Plus I went from Water only for nine months to nothing last December.

same experience as you here.

I'm in my 4th month of no water or anything

but I would wash away the dead skin mask every month(which I feel is a big no no)

Can't help it as I have to go to school and meet people

Gonna try not washing the dead skin off as I'm on holidays until April(on the 4th week of dead skin now)

One more thing,I feel strange reading Wapak's log cause it seems like his dead skin is gone while our are still there.

No worries regarding the link you posted as he is on water only twice everyday while we are on nothing at all. Plus I went from Water only for nine months to nothing last December.

interesting. when u say nothing at all, do you mean u dont let water touch ur face at all?

yup. I don't let water touch my face at all unless there is any special event I have to attend.(which is like once every month)

While washing my hair,water might touch my face but I just ignore it and let it dry on its own.

Last time while on water only,I still break out.

Might be due to my hand rubbing my face while using water to wash it twice per day.

I had the dead skin buildup quite the entire time I was on the no water regimen. Now I am washing once a day with water and my skin is doing much better but still not where I'd like it. I'm considering going back to the no water regimen but unsure of what I will do when I swim in the summer.

Continue scraping the flakey parts off in the morning. One day, it will just stop appearing. Anyway, look at your face as a whole and don't zoom in on problem areas. That's what people see anyway. Your whole face. ;)

@ wapak

thats really good advice. i've come A LONG way on this and my skin looks so much better. I guess I'm just being a perfectionist when I need to realize the progress that I've made.

@ evasion

im currently washing 1X a day with water as well. It's not caused any breakouts or anything and actually I think my red marks are fading faster by doing this. And like you said, my skin is doing so much better, but I'm still not quite to where I want it yet.

@dle4u

i wish you continued good luck on your journey. if you ever decide to go back to washing with water perhaps try doing it 1x a day instead of 2?

@dle4e

I don't have the flakey dead skin anymore but I still have some dead skin buildup around my nose and around my mouth. They can only be seen when wet.

@yepican

My dead skin mask disappeared 30 days after doing nothing. A week or two after it disappeared, which is now, I'm currently doing a trial and error method introducing water to my face. So far, no breakout. ;)

ok here's my progress so far. dead skin mask is disappearing and everything seems ok. i'm in the third week i think. now i have a couple of questions regarding this regimen.

1.) i don't know if any of u have experienced this but my skin is kinda like getting dry. when i first started, day one, my skin was dried out. day after day, it was getting better and better. now it seems like it's getting dry slowly as i move on. can this somehow be related to weather? over here in my place has gotten a bit colder this week so i wondered.

2.) about the oiliness. my skin is MUCH less itchy now.(thank god) but it seems like the oil is still there. my skin no longer look oily but after morning i can see oil droplets on my pores. and at the end of the day my nose and forehead is oily as fuck. i never touch it or wipe it away but the oil disappears after night and i get oily again. when i first wake up i look golden, but after a while it get oily. afterall, it has been like about 3 weeks so how much longer do i have to put up with this or is this even normal? did i do something wrong?

besides that everything's fine i suppose.

@Boogerman

1) It must be the cold weather. Try drinking more water.

2) Yeah, I experience that too now. Golden skin in the morning but as the day pass on there are oil droplets on my pores too. But I don't let it bother me anyway since it is not noticeable when you look at your face as a whole.

The solution I can think of for this is to have a nap in the middle of your wake up hours for at least 30mins-1hour and this will make the oil disappear as if you slept for a whole night.

boogerman, if your face is dry by doing nothing, sleep with a humidifier running in your room, it will add some moisture to the air as if it were summer.

Allright, so I believe what I've been doing lately has been doing wonders. I found that just using my hands to wash was leaving some of that dead skin buildup, thus appearing like dry skin after I wash. But in fact it's just dead skin pancacked on there. So what I've been doing is taking a washcloth and using my index finger and one of the 4 corners of the cloth kind've buffing away the dead skin after I wet my face. It's been going pretty well I would say. The dead skin still looks like its subsiding weekly, but only time will tell.

My intention is not to do this forever. The only reason I do this now is to get the dead skin off, not to unclog pores or wash my face or whatever. Most areas on my neck (where I used to apply shaving cream and stuff but not wash religiously) used to have minor dead skin buildup, but that has gone away a long time ago. That gives me reason to believe that my skin on my face will do the same, it's just more damaged and will need yet more time.

I get kinda get discouraged sometimes thinking about how long this has taken/will take, but the reality is that guys like Adam08, waterwater, and others got off topicals along time before doing these more extreme regimens. So though their dead skin subsides quickly through this they have actually been letting their skin heal for quite some time before. I think the severity of the dead skin and initial breakouts has a lot to do with what you were using before and how long you were using it before. For me i.e. I had been washing my face daily for about 3 1/2 years prior to doing all this, and was using like oxy pads, bp, and salyclic acid for about 5 years. I don't know how that compares with everyone else as far as duration of topical use, but I think that's quite a long time. So my guess is that my skin needs longer to heal? I'd be interested to see other people's approximate duration of topical use/what products u used before this....

any updates?

I'm still washing once a day at night after my shower with a washcloth. Dead skin seems minimal in some areas of my face, but it's really hard to tell since I see myself everyday u know? If there was a way I could not look at myself for like a week I could better see if I'm making progress or just imagining things. :think:

UPDATE:

I'm still using water and a washcloth once at night....and still experiencing light dead/flakey skin buildup. This process has taken tremendous perserverance and will power on my part. My tone and complexion are awesome, but i've got one little whitehead to the right of my mouth. I'm still seeing a slow reduction in dead skin in certain areas of my face, but it's like taking forever! I keep thinking to myself, will this really go away on it's own? OR do i need to accept that i've got to wash this shit off everyday? i wanna f'ing fast-forward a month to see how my skin will look so I can know if I'm on the right track or not. Geez, this is really trying my patience.

Well, over the last 7-9 days I have seen a drastic reduction in the dead-skin buildup. At first I was skeptical thinking that It'll return to more thickness the next night, but to my delight it has not! Three weeks ago I could gently rub off the dead skin with a washcloth and visibly see like little rolled up dead skin balls coming off. But for the last few days there has been almost none of that! I'm praying and hoping that my skin has finally started to shed it's skin more naturally and efficiently. Someday soon (maybe a week or two) I'll go 2-3 days without physically washing my face to see if the dead skin returns given more than just 24 hours. My belief and hope is that it will not return. So now my goal is to not have to be washing my face at all (except for shower water) come late April, early May. Wish me luck! And good luck to all who are trying this! The best thing I ever did for my acne is getting off any topicals including face washes/cleansers and just go natural with water! :clap:

yepican thats good news! but why are you washing your face every night as opposed to not washing it at all? does washing it everyday help with the dead skin? are you using cold or warm water? where is the dead skin located on your face? cheeks, forehead, chin, all over your face? and how long did it take for you to see the reduction in dead skin?

yes, i use lukewarm/slightly cold water and a washcloth and gently buff away any lingering dead skin. The dead skin buildup is/was primarily based in my forehead (where my skin was hammered with topicals for years and years), t-zone area, and strangely enough in my lower temple area (not sure why here???). Last night there wasn't hardly any dead skin to buff away! So I'm really excited about that and the prospects of it never returning again!!!

i get dead skin on both my cheeks and nowhere else

i edited my previous post if you didnt see it

oh i forgot to ask, when you kept wiping away the dead skin with a washcloth, was the skin underneath red or normal?

do you eat healthy?

@random

The reason I wash 1x a day is to get that dead skin off. How long before I saw a reduction in dead skin? This is a very interesting question because I believe the answer is different for everyone. When I read that adam08 and waterwater took only about a month or two to get rid of their dead skin I was really discouraged and frustrated when after that time period my dead skin hadn't gone away yet. My hypothesis is that the recovery time for everyone depends on 1)how long you've been washing your face with products and applying topicals, 2)what you used on your face (i.e. stronger medications, exfoliating regularly, etc.) 3)and finally your body's own recovery time. Some people seem to heal from broken bones, scrapes, and cuts faster than others, so why would that not be true here too?

But to answer your question, I dropped everything back in early november of last year....in mid-december of last year I went back to Cetaphil for a couple weeks (which might have delayed my recovery time).....i let water only touch my face up until feb. 1st in which I scraped off all the dead skin.....i went 9 more days of water only......scraped that dead skin off and then went to physically washing with water, my hands, and a washcloth since then. I have seen a slow reduction in dead skin over this entire process but I think I'm getting to a point where it might be all gone for good. Again I'm anxious to go more than 24 hours w/o washing to see whether or not the dead skin will build up but I'm gunna wait a week or 2 for that. Only time will tell.

*The skin underneath is normal. What's my diet like? I eat whatever, whenever, for the most part. Here's a link to another topic I started on diet.....

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Who-s-ski...77#entry2572277

Let me know if you got anymore questions....I'll keep updating here too.

thanks yepican.

right now, my skin underneath the dead skin (both my cheeks) is still sensitive since i just started this regimen. its only been a week and i try not to wash at all, except maybe 2 or 3 times in the shower with water only. ill let my skin heal for like a month and then scrape it off. and then let it heal again for another 2-3 weeks, then scrap it off again. then ill gently scrape away the dead skin with a washcloth daily after i shower.

UPDATE: so i figured I'd drop a few lines to let everyone know how i wuz doing. first off, the dead skin still hasn't completely subsided, but is still seemingly decreasing slowly. i've driven myself crazy for why this might be.....has the constant washing w/ water and a washcloth once every day removed most of the skin buildup from the no washing days? has the dead skin truly decreased, meaning that it would not buildup as much if I stopped washing for a few days? Is my body rebalancing after taking supplements for over a year? or is it just that my skin is coincidentally transistioning to more normal skin? :think: ugh....it's killing me cuz i tend to over-analyze everything including my skin.

But what I also realized a few weeks ago is that i can take my fingernail and scratch my scalp in my hair and then wipe my fingernail off on dark clothing to reveal the same white, greasy, flakey stuff as what my face used to be. I even found that the same thing can be said for the middle of my chest, but it produces just a little bit of that white gunky stuff as well. what i'm getting at here is that i think my face is not really damaged anymore so i don't think i can attribute the gunky buildup to it being damaged like I previously thought. Although I believe I read a post by wapak not too long ago basically saying that because of all those years of chemicals being applied to his face that he notices his skin on his face is different than before he started using topicals. So I continue to lean on the mindset that all this will sort itself out with time.....but I'm running out of patience. There's also a little thought in the back of my head that maybe, yes, I do need to wash my face regularly because maybe I'm unfortunate and have skin that can't manage itself right now in this point in my life. This thought really bugs me cuz one of the attractive things about the no-wash regimen is that I didn't have to think about my skin as much and there wasn't a "routine" that I absolutely despise from all those years of having regimens and topicals everyday in the past.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to get my thoughts out in writing. As always, if anyone else is experiencing/has experienced a similar story please share!