Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aurelia

Horrible Face shots and some Scaring advice needed please...

I also posted this in the main acne folder but I think my biggest problem is the scaring:

Well I am using the Proactive solutions 3 step program substuting the Toner for ACV and then following up with the Proactiv Repairing Lotion. I also use that prescribed bleaching cream on spots (I forgot the name of it Hyquo...something.)

anyway As you can see my face is pretty BAD~ some days it is ok but it is HORRIBLE Lately. I had 2 cysts on each side of my nose that THANKFULLY ACV drained but they of course left ugly marks.

any advice for me. I really am comtemplating chaning my entire routine because this one isnt working (I've been on proactive for about 3months now and using the ACV for over a month). I hear that the Black Opal products are good for African American.

Any advice or tips would be great. Usually when my face looks this horrible I touch up some spots with the Proactiv Sheer power foundation.

Here are the pics sad.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks for any input you may have.

Aurelia (feeling like an ugly duckling) [email protected]

I've suffered with acne for most of my adolescent and adult life. It's a

never ending war. I have done everything. I have been to every celebrity dermatologist and every "expert". I spent thousands of dollars on every type of treatment. I did three courses of Accutane [1988, 1993, 2002]. [The first and strongest course kept my acne away for four years!!!!!!] II feel as though my skin is at war with me; it will be clear for a long time and then come back in worst condition with a vengeance! DO NOT USE BLACK OPAL! You might have really sensitive skin! There is no treatment to cure scars. You might want to try either mederma during the day, or msm 15% pure gel [make sure it is not a cream or lotion]. Try Retin-Gel at night only. These things might help you "reduce the appearance of the scars". I have the pitted marks and will be consulting a dermatologist who is expert in treating acne scars in people of color. There are some treatments that can be used with lasers but make sure you go to a very good dermatologst who has experience with people of color.

Id give you props for showing a full size pics, honestly tho you're scar is not that bad at all! i dont see any pitted scars so you're lucky there. I see you have some red marks or freckle just under you're eyes; maybe latic acid peel will help with that.

you look pretty good! your scarring isn't bad at all, i noticed minor scarring at your temple, but try using retin a in that area, it helps to smoothen out the uneven surface.

your acne is pretty mild, not bad at all, you look great.

Thanks ~ Yeah, its kind of embarrassing to post pictures like that but I know you all know what I am going thu' and Feel my pain so that makes it easier..UGLY as I am...LOL.

What you see under and around the eye area are small moles (all the women in my family have them. Its the cheek, chin and nose area that I am worried about.

Thanks for the advice...someone else suggested a peel also.

Aurelia

Id give you props for showing a full size pics, honestly tho you're scar is not that bad at all! i dont see any pitted scars so you're lucky there.  I see you have some red marks or freckle just under you're eyes; maybe latic acid peel will help with that.

Whats the deal with castor oil and baking soda? Never heard of that as a home remedy for moles.

Aurelia

For the moles look into castor oil and baking soda.

Don't try home remedies for your moles! You can end up getting an infection. Visit a dermatologist to have your moles examined and get advice on your acne. I tried Black Opal and developed blackheads. Aurelia - I implore you - try RETIN-A [only by prescription from dermatologist or general practitioner]. If you skin is oily, use the RETIN-A gel, if it isn't, the cream formula. IMPORTANT: only use RETIN-A at night and use it sparingly. Your skin might get worse before it gets better, so don't be alarmed, that is how it works. It takes about 8-10 weeks to show dramatic improvement. Always use sunscreen for acne/oily skin during the day and if you sweat it off - put more. There are some high quality acne treatment lines out there: BioMedic, MD Forte, Murad, just to name some. You have to be diligent and consistent. NEVER EVER scrape, pick or rub your skin too aggressively; this can cause permanent scarring. Accutane might be an option for you if you never tried it - the improvement might be miraculous. You must be very careful and diligent in using this properly and read all the warnings repeatedly and adhere to them!

thanks so much for your input. I've had my moles examined before and I was told they are ok and cold be removed but I'll just leave them be. ALL of the women in my family have them..when /if they start to HANG...I'll have those suckers ZAPPED biggrin.gif . The Derm. I saw just prescribed with me with anti's and then that BP cream and that was it.

sorry to cut right to the Chase here but are you saying that RETIN-A is a better option thatn Dan's regimine. I have a Dr. that is GREAT in providing me with scripts for what I need. Is Retin - A just a cream? Also I've read about accutane and something about it SCARES the DICKENS outta me..lol ~ I think I'll use that as my final option.

Thanks again!

Aurelia

Don't try home remedies for your moles! You can end up getting an infection.  Visit a dermatologist to have your moles examined and get advice on your acne. I tried Black Opal and developed blackheads.  Aurelia - I  implore you - try RETIN-A [only by prescription from dermatologist or general practitioner]. If you skin is oily, use the RETIN-A gel, if it isn't, the cream formula. IMPORTANT: only use RETIN-A at night and use it sparingly. Your skin might get worse before it gets better, so don't be alarmed, that is how it works. It takes about 8-10 weeks to show dramatic improvement. Always use sunscreen for acne/oily skin during the day and if you sweat it off - put more.  There are some high quality acne treatment lines out there: BioMedic, MD Forte, Murad, just to name some. You have to be diligent and consistent. NEVER EVER scrape, pick or rub your skin too aggressively; this can cause permanent scarring. Accutane might be an option for you if you never tried it - the improvement might be miraculous. You must be very careful and diligent in using this properly and read all the warnings repeatedly and adhere to them!

I posted pics months ago and I received some great responses. I have scars and hyperpigmentation - I started using the apple cider vinegar as toner for my hyperpigmented scars and SLOWLY but surely they started fading.

They can take up to a year to fade, usually. When I combine the ACV with the lemon water, I notice my skin is much better.

I've also been using Pure Deming's Intense Gel. That has helped my pocked scarring slightly, that may or may not have helped my hyperpigmentation. I put emu oil on before I go to bed at night - ordered from skinbiology.com. People actually started complimenting my skin's glow.

WEAR SPF 30!!! When you go out, the sun hits the darker spots just like it hits your regular complexion. I know sometimes you have to drill this into our heads, but it helps.

I've been to countless Los Angeles / Beverly Hills doctors and all they did was hand me Retin A. The above helped more than all of them combined.

Feel free to send me a message or post if you have any questions! I bet your face will lshow so much improvement soon - I even have days where I can look in the mirror in the sun (sounds like a hollow victory, but one everyone here understands, I'm sure).

Thanks, I'll admit I don't wear any SPF at all!!! so do I go about my routine (whatever that will be) and then lather on a sunscreen...any particular type.

What I am trying to decipher is what is the best course of action here. Retin-A, Dan's regimen, prayers...lol

Thanks again for your input!

I will continue to use the ACV as a toner.

aurelia

I posted pics months ago and I received some great responses. I have scars and hyperpigmentation - I started using the apple cider vinegar as toner for my hyperpigmented scars and SLOWLY but surely they started fading.  

They can take up to a year to fade, usually. When I combine the ACV with the lemon water, I notice my skin is much better.

I've also been using Pure Deming's Intense Gel. That has helped my pocked scarring slightly, that may or may not have helped my hyperpigmentation. I put emu oil on before I go to bed at night - ordered from skinbiology.com. People actually started complimenting my skin's glow.

WEAR SPF 30!!! When you go out, the sun hits the darker spots just like it hits your regular complexion. I know sometimes you have to drill this into our heads, but it helps.

I've been to countless Los Angeles / Beverly Hills doctors and all they did was hand me Retin A. The above helped more than all of them combined.  

Feel free to send me a message or post if you have any questions! I bet your face will lshow so much improvement soon - I even have days where I can look in the mirror in the sun (sounds like a hollow victory, but one everyone here understands, I'm sure).

I bet if I used lemon water, it would be even faster. Retin A did NOTHING for me...for years. I'd try Dan's first. I mean, it did stop my new pimples (I'm 29 and used Retin A from 19-26), but when I stopped eating sugar and milk, that stopped pimples just as well.

That's just my 2 cents on that.

When I used SPF, I saw a difference in my hyperpigmentation fading, too. I could have smacked myself at how simple a concept it is. Duh! The sun is going to cause color changes in anything and it causes freckles to come out on lighter people, so it would only make my hyperpigmentation worse.

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks, will any type of SPF work? Also can I only get the BP Cream from Dans site? I really don't mind but I'd like to try to save as much money as possible.

Aurelia

Aurelia,

I agree with others who have posted......your skin is not all that bad. A few things that I've found to REALLY help are:

1. tea tree oil for pimples (dries them up overnight if small, 1-2 days if

slightly bigger)

2. water, lots and lots of it......lemon water will help your liver and

kidneys cleanse so your skin doesn't have to help

3. SPF 25 or higher

4. fresh apples (3 a day) to also help cleanse along with lots of other

fiber

5. Spenco 2nd Skin to help heal and treat redness for healing pimples

6. Supplements like zinc, magnesium and ester-c

While Dan's regimen was good, it didn't help entirely clear my pimples like the above regimen does.....I can honestly say, that for the first time since I was 10 (I'm 34 now), I don't have any active pimples. I can't even tell you how great it feels knowing that I CAN keep them under control without expensive skin care or prescriptions!

Good luck!

Aurelia,

I agree with others who have posted......your skin is not all that bad.  A few things that I've found to REALLY help are:

1.  tea tree oil for pimples (dries them up overnight if small, 1-2 days if

slightly bigger)

2.  water, lots and lots of it......lemon water will help your liver and  

kidneys cleanse so your skin doesn't have to help

3.  SPF 25 or higher

4.  fresh apples (3 a day) to also help cleanse along with lots of other

fiber

5.  Spenco 2nd Skin to help heal and treat redness for healing pimples

6.  Supplements like zinc, magnesium and ester-c

!

AURELIA: I am and the product/drug/guinea pig! So if there is anything you want to know about ask! I used hydroquinone - it is great for fading spots; but! the only good one for oily/acne skin is MELANEX [by prescription only] - it is a solution [no oil]. Stay away from GLYQUIN, CLARIPEL, SOLAQUIN FORTE, LUSTRA, ELDOQUIN FORTE - they have oil in them and are not intended for people with active acne. Don’t buy Ambi, Esoterica or any of those creams - they make acne worse! Aurelia - if your skin is oily and you have enlarged pores - STAY AWAY from products that have oil! Tea Tree oil gave me a face full of blackheads! I use treatments that are GEL-based only and make sure oil is not part of the ingredients. Retin-A comes in GEL AND cream format - as someone with oily skin - I found the Retin-A gel [.01, .25 or .50%] to be the most effective. I tried Retin-a-Micro - it didn't do anything for me. Be sparing with how much Retin-A you use - make sure you skin is really dry before putting it on at night. Accutane is not that scary. I tried it three times. I think it didn't work the 2nd and 3rd time because the doses were miniscule. I read various people's statements about Accutane causing scaring. When you are on Accutane you can't rub, scratch or pick at your face at all - if you do - your skin could leave a permanent reminder. No harsh treatment of skin - you must treat it extra-gentle. Actually - when you are on Accutane - your skin might get really really dry - Cetaphil, Purpose and plain aloe gel is good. Even thought it's is dry - stay away from the oils - mineral oil is kryptonite for acne-prone skin and a lot of facial creams have mineral oil.

I think anything is worth a try but just because something is natural it doesn't mean it is better. My recent outbreak came from using Elicina cream, which is reported to be a "wonder cream" for acne and scars. It's 80% snail's helix which is a natural glycolic acid. (I'm still learning my lessons) But it was in 4% mineral oil base and can you say BLACKHEADS? Enlarged pores LOVE OILS so that they and create blackheads! I am not saying you should dry out your skin - be gentle and careful with it - don't ravage it and be gentle. Oh! Wait! I meant to tell you about yet another regimen. You might not yet be at the stage for micro-dermabrasions and peels - you acne might be too active for it. I tried it when I only had the scars - it works but you have to keep going. That gets expensive. It helps reduce the appearance of the scars. I also tried OBAJI - it's a system for hyper pigmented skin and high recommended for ethnic skin. I still use the facial cleanser gel, the toner [when skin is dry] and the exfoliating gel. It has a hydroquinone treatment lotion [oil-free] but I found it felt too heavy on my skin. Obaji is $250-$300+ for the entire line. I also didn't like the fact that there were about 7 steps and each one plopped another treatment on top of another. I didn't like mixing the RETIN-A with the "Blender" it seemed to "weaken" the effectiveness of retin-a.

I have a question for you - what is ACV? Also what is Dan's regimen?

Thanks for the suggerstions!! where can I find tea tree oil for pimples? do you apply it to your entire face?

also is there a place to get this Spenco 2nd Skin stuff online. I stopped by 2 stores on the way home and ZILCH!

I guess it is either the Tea tree/spenco combo or Dans regimen. to help heal and treat redness for healing pimples. Now I have oily skin and I hear the Tre Tree oil may cause more problems for me creating blackhead ](*,) this acne crap is confusing!!!

Thanks

Here is a link to Dan's Regimen http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar and I use it as a toner. There is a LONG Thread about it in this folder somewhere...lol

I was trying to decide to either use Dan's regimen or something else. I hear Tea Tree oil is GREAT but I do have oily skin (VERY BAD) and I don't want to use something that will make it worse. I want the acne under control and these horid marks to fade. My 1st step will be to get a good SPF to use I truly need to try something fast because the longer I go with no regimen...the worse I look

Thanks again

AURELIA: I am and the product/drug/guinea pig! I have a question for you - what is ACV? Also what is Dan's regimen?

AURELIA: No matter your skin color, you must use SUNSCREEN. Do not be fooled by a TAN!!!! A tan is nature's way of "fooling" your skin. It can mask acne temporarily, dry ut the pimples and when it fades - the acne comes back with a vengeance if you neglect to use sunscreen diligently. Do not use any cream sunscreens. Read the labels. Use a SPF GEL of 25 or higher on your face [and body]. Peter Thomas Roth makes a gel sunscreen along with coppertone "Shade" and neutrogena. Remember Gel, Aurelia! Read your ingredients when you are buying stuff for your skin - always read your ingredients! 25% pure vitamin C is great in a solution as well. I agree about the lemon to. A lot of people have negative results with retin-a when they use the cream format - it just sits on your skin and does nothing. The gel is always better - the skin absorbs it better.

WOW thanks so much for all of the info, tips and suggestions!!!

I will be purchasing some SPF Gel today on my way home and probably getting on Dan's Regimen next week. Not sure how long it takes for the BP Gel to come in when I order from him.

Thanks again!

Aurelia

just a suggestion, but if you go the prescription route, try tazorac instead of retin-a, it's the strongest retinoid available.

i used retin a for years and years and currently use tazorac, it is better.