Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nos86

My 2nd accutane journey

Okay, so this is my second time on accutane. First time was when I was 18 or 19. From what I remember it cleared me up pretty good, until last august i started noticing oily skin. Then the break outs started coming. I am 26 now and well you would think that be that age you would not have to deal with this anymore.. Any now i started my second course on 1/30/09.

It's really frustrating. I don't understand and personally am really tired of dealing with this ordeal. How is it that some people have such amazing skin and then the rest of us have to deal with this life changing catastrophe. I mean I do everything I can to prevent break outs. Wash twice a day, don't touch my face at all unless its to wash it. Try to eat healthy, exercise, the list goes on. And then there are people who do nothing to take care of their skin and it's near flawless. I am not asking much, just want to be able to wake up in the morning and not have to spend time in the mirror dreading what i will find. I want to be able to go all day with out worrying if my face is shiny or feel like its oily. And most importantly just be myself. I feel as if i've lost a part of me because of this disorder. I just want to enjoy life. Sometimes it feels like I am missing out on a lot in life because I am self concious of the way I look. I mean not being able to take pictures, or getting up in front of a group or crowd of people, always hiding out or making stupid excuses to why you can't or don't want to go out... Having to go to the doctors, getting your blood drawn, telling people that your on accutane and explain it to them because they have no idea what it is or why you are even on it. I'am just tired... tired of everything that surrounds acne.... not a zit here and there but straight up acne that is always there or skin that is never just balanced.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey. I know it's suppose to make you stronger but come on already. Sorry if this sounds like I'am bitching, because I am but we all need to vent and honestly who better to vent to than someone who at least understands what you're going through....

oh day 36 for me.

Dry everything. especially my eyes...small rashes on forearm and elbows. mood up and down obviously. small breakout on back. And allergies is kickin my ass.

just going to let accutane do it's thing.

DAY 40

my skin is doing okay...GOT two new cyst on the right side of my temple, still breaking out on my back.. kinda getting traces of oil but not really on my forehead.. it kinda feels like there is oil there but my skin is dry for the most part.... my skin tone is blotchy hard to explain its just not even. looks really rough

forehead is kinda shiny although there isn't really any oil frusterating for sure...

mood still up and down good day and then i see myself in the mirror and it turns into a bad day....

dry around the mouth as always....

I thought second run would be better....

thank you... i am trying too seriously I am......... ACNE FUCKING SUCKS and FUCK YOU ACNE....

its so stupid how something can effect your life so much.. your relationships, your confidence, your existance.....

I am doing the best to take everyday in stride...... its just too much sometimes....

It's really frustrating. I don't understand and personally am really tired of dealing with this ordeal. How is it that some people have such amazing skin and then the rest of us have to deal with this life changing catastrophe. I mean I do everything I can to prevent break outs. Wash twice a day, don't touch my face at all unless its to wash it. Try to eat healthy, exercise, the list goes on. And then there are people who do nothing to take care of their skin and it's near flawless. I am not asking much, just want to be able to wake up in the morning and not have to spend time in the mirror dreading what i will find. I want to be able to go all day with out worrying if my face is shiny or feel like its oily. And most importantly just be myself. I feel as if i've lost a part of me because of this disorder. I just want to enjoy life. Sometimes it feels like I am missing out on a lot in life because I am self concious of the way I look. I mean not being able to take pictures, or getting up in front of a group or crowd of people, always hiding out or making stupid excuses to why you can't or don't want to go out... Having to go to the doctors, getting your blood drawn, telling people that your on accutane and explain it to them because they have no idea what it is or why you are even on it. I'am just tired... tired of everything that surrounds acne.... not a zit here and there but straight up acne that is always there or skin that is never just balanced.

ahh i can totally relate to this. every word. it doesn't sound like bitching at all, it's just straight up honesty.

you're about 10 days ahead of me on the accutane. it's definitely been up and down so far.

and i wish you success too. please keep updating?! :wub:

Thanks for your kind words nichole....

you know what? tonight i was having one of those many tough nights where I kinda mixed between down and angry about my wonderful skin condition... but trying to stay positive as always...well i decided to get online and i read your message and HONESTLY it made me feel better... Sometimes people just don't understand and they probably never will which is fine but when you have someone who can relate it's like a huge weight has been lifted...

funny how that works

You're definitely on the right website if you're looking for encouragement! It's great that you know what your skin will turn out like, since this is your second course. Just hold tight and things will get better. I am hoping to get into the derm this week to discuss Accutane, so you are definitely ahead of me! Keep your head up and know it's only a matter of time before your skin is great!

oh yeah i can definitely relate.

sometimes when i'm sitting in class/wherever my eyes start to wander around the room and i notice everybody's clear skin and sometimes i just get SOO pissed. like i just want to scream. those people probably just get to roll out of bed and go about their day. they probably don't have to watch what they eat or worry about stupid face washes and creams. it drives me crazy some days.

and it SUCKS when people are always asking me 'why do you go to the doctors so much' or 'why do you get your blood drawn every month. wtf is wrong with you'

so now i just keep my business low key. i'm sick of being questioned. nobody really understands anyways. they just look at you sideways and think you're weird or something.

but honestly, F everybody else. just do it for you. you'll get through it and it'll all be over soon and hopefully all this crap will just be a distant memory.

'MissAngie'

Thank you for your kind words. And good luck on your accutane journey as well...

I just wanted to mention a few things while on my second course of accutane...

Suppressed appetite . It's really hard for me to eat because nothing really sounds good and I just am never really hungry. This is especially hard because you need to take your accutane with a meal and a fatty one at that.

Rash on back of hands and forearms sometimes. I notice i need to moisturize the back of my neck as well cause it gets dry too.

Very very dry eyes. I need to use eye drops often.

Very flaky skin especially on the outer edges of my lips. The skin there seems to continuously peels. Like the edges of my mouth can never be moisturized properly. I notice that I am peeling skin off of that area often.

Sometimes lethargic and lazy to do anything. Its tough to be motivated. I like to sleep.

Lower back pains but only on the right side. This is occasional.

My gums seem to be more sensitive. I floss everyday and before accutane i didn't bleed and now I am noticing blood when I spit into the sink after I floss.

And the mood changes. But I think this will fade as my acne fades.

Day 40 update.

My skin is okay I have one active on my right temple. My skin tone is not even at all . It looks uneven kinda like plasticy (don't know if that helps) it's hard to describe but it just doesn't look like healthy skin right now. there's redness too.

Okay good luck to everyone and their acne...

Hello all. just a quick update.

Day 42-

It's funny how we count huh. Okay today marks the end of week 6 and the start of week 7.

- The zit on the right side of my temple is starting to go away.

- My skin is dry as usual. My back is still breaking out. Old zits are healing though but overall it's not too too bad.

I think things are starting to look up. but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Been moisturizing regularly on my hands but there are small traces of the rash still.

Taking Vitamin E once a day as well.

Okay good luck to everyone and have a wonderful weekend.

I feel exactly the same way. Its even worse when I look at my siblings who really haven't had to go through all the stuff I've had to deal with my face. It really damages the self esteem. There has to be light at the end of this tunnel!

hey anyone having this happen to them as well. I notice that when I get out of the shower after washing my face and drying it off my skin looks shiny although it is not oily?

Does anyone know why this is? Or how to prevent it? thanks.

okay so today is day 45 or 46....

just something I wanted to post... emotions seem to be very high lately. I am just trying to be patient and what not but the littlest thing seems to set me off. And I know it's because of my frustration. I think it's really difficult to talk to people who are not dealing with this because it's hard for them to understand. I think that talking to people who are going through the same thing really helps but then again what can we do.....

Just frustration but in time things WILL get better...... be strong... hold on......

I am using cetaphil which is okay, anyone using something out there that works really well?

Day 49-

Today marks the end of week 7 and the start of week 8. and let me start off by saying wooooooooo hooooooooooooo!..

Okay so what's going on. The zits on my temple are fading super fast. It seemed to hang around for a while when they were active but when they were done the fading seemed to go really fast.

My back has two actives and 3 that are healing. Gay...

Eyes dry as always, anyone using anything that they notice really helps Iam currently on Optive, but may switch to Systane when I run out.

Sharp back pains occasionally.

Rash on hands are gone just have to keep using the curel.

dry skin around mouth like usual. dry lips.

Skin is not looking really healthy, complexion is uneven and blotchy.ugh

Also my lady is coming to visit in two weeks and a day. I haven't seen her since Christmas. So I hope my skin gets decent when she comes to visit. fingers crossed... I love you guys and good luck on this life changing journey... best of luck to all and myself...

Day 54.

Okay so my skin started to look really really good two days ago. the skin tone was evening out nicely. Then I had to go to a BBQ at the park and it was sunny.. I put on aveeno sunblock spf 30 and tried to minimize my time in the sun. When I got home my skin was a little red but more importantly it felt warm so i knew that it got burned for sure.

Anyhow today i had to work out in the sun for a few hours trying desperately to stay out of direct sunlight. Seems like just being out even in shade and what not my skin is very sensitive to uV rays because of the accutane.

Well now' iam a little flushed all over. I hope this subsides as I hide out indoors.. Too bad because it sure is getting nice out.

No new actives on the face. Back is starting to heal up too. I think/hope that this is the healing phase... but as always don't want to get ahead of myself...

oh and my lips were so chapped today i think because i didn't use much aquaphor last night. dam oh well.

good luck all on this journey.

Day 56

Today marks the end of month 2. Start of month 3. Start of week 9. What a milestone. I am so happy to be here.

Okay here's what's up. My skin is starting to even out. NO new actives. A little bit of redness here and there but for the most part, Im feeling good. Month two is the magic month. I hope month 3 i'll see the majority of results/changes.

My skin is still dry, eyes dry, lips dry, but I think that Iam getting used to putting moisturizer and vaseline on the lips.

Backs not too bad pain wise. emotions are still high. I have a short fuse but my skin is starting to look okay and that makes me soo so so happy.

Got the rash thing under control pretty well with curel. I love that stuff.

just looking for a good moisturizer for the face. One that's light and not greasy but helps with the dryness. And still looking for a good SPF moisturizer. Any suggestions.

okay good luck to everyone on this tough journey....

day 59

redness all over it sucks ass. i need to get a good moisturizer... and spf any suggestionss. ugh

Hey bro, age 25 here and beginning my second round with accutane on Tuesday. Glad to see your continuing progress and I wish you the best the rest of the way!! I can't wait for the days when I wake up and don't think about my skin all day long!! Cheers to us.

As for the moisturizer thing - I've been searching the boards looking for the best moisturizer to use while on the tane. The consensus seems to be the Cetaphil with SPF 15, but I've also seen that a lot of people like some Aveeno product. It also seems as if the key to hydrated skin (without looking like a grease face all day) is to super-hydrate the skin at night with an over-the-top moisturizer, then use a light moisturizer during the day.

For me, I think I'm going to use Eucerin at night (seems like it REALLY hydrates the skin, but too much where you defintely could not put it on before you go out for the day) then put Cetaphil on in the morning - I'll while keeping Aquaphor on the lips of course.

Anyway, I've started a log - let me know if you find an awesome moisturizer!

DAY 61

Today my skin is doing pretty good. no new breakouts. tone is getting even.. but skin is still far from looking healthy.

Iam using olay complete spf 30. Derm said to use at least 30 and that anything higher was not really necessary.

using cerave lotion at night and olay in during the day. I hope things will continue to improve and go well...

Good luck all on this journey...ohh piece of advice find an accutane buddy or buddies to talk to cause it really helps you get through the tough times which we all have... much love ....

Day 63

end of week 9 start of week 10..

Okay so today my skin is not doing so well it looks really flushed with red marks.. ughhh... and once again the overall complexion does not look healthy. Like my skin is not even. you know how on some people their skin is nice around the areas that are not active well my skin all over the place seems to just be blotchy. it sucks. some days are better than others and today sucks... oh well.. good luck to all on their treatment.

Bad day today....face looks kinda shiny although there is no oil... what the...oh and my skin at the end of the day lets say 12 hours feels like it wants to produce oil, how gay is that.

OH ON A POSITIVE NOTE.

this goes out to everyone including myself..

This ordeal has changed my life, who I am, my personality and how I look at things. It is tough going through skin issues...Some people will never understand and honestly it doesn't matter...What happens to you does not define you as a person it is how you re act to it that does...

I know we all do not want to deal with this problem but none the less it is the hand we were dealt. And all we can do is try to overcome these obstacles. It will and can only make us stronger. I know that one day things will get better and I must stay positive and not let acne ruin everything I've built and been blessed with in my life... This journey is a test, that will define who I am... So I must not let it get to me...

Be strong, be calm, this too shall pass..... have faith.... nos86

Day 75 the middle of week 11.

so i broke out this last week... one on the forehead and one on my left jawline. super gay. but what ever.... skin has been extra dry lately.... iam currently using cetaphil cleanser and cerave moisturizer.. not sure i like the moisturizer too much. anyone using something else they really like or could recommend.

anyhow mood is still up and down.. i'v been extra hungry lately. I hope my skin starts to improve... redness is still apparent..... thanks good luck to all and me too.

Hey There,

Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain ! And I hope this is the last time u ever have to see a zit again. Just try to stay positive it cant hurt right ? Im only on my first week .. this is going to be a long couple of months! Keep in touch , cant wait to hear about ur results !

- Kait

Day 77 End of week 11 Start of week 12.

went to get blood drawn.. and the first tube was no good for some reason so she had to try and hold the needle still while getting another one, no fun but it's done, hope results go well... kinda sucks sitting in the waiting room, mostly it's older people getting bloodwork and iam the youngest one there. oh well only three more months...

so my skin is okay... skin tone is still not even.. redness here and there. no new break outs. skin is dry most of the day then it feels like it wants to get oily at the end of the day...

Iam currently using cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and cerave moisturizer but am looking to switch.... Any suggestions?

I am thinking maybe purpose because it laters or give the cetaphil normal to oily skin cleanser a try? anyone use this with any luck?

Also thinking about getting the cetaphil moisturizer but the ingredients has oil in it and not to mention people say it's greasy please chime in. thanks...

Okay, so this is my second time on accutane. First time was when I was 18 or 19. From what I remember it cleared me up pretty good, until last august i started noticing oily skin. Then the break outs started coming. I am 26 now and well you would think that be that age you would not have to deal with this anymore.. Any now i started my second course on 1/30/09.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey. I know it's suppose to make you stronger but come on already. Sorry if this sounds like I'am bitching, because I am but we all need to vent and honestly who better to vent to than someone who at least understands what you're going through....

oh day 36 for me.

Dry everything. especially my eyes...small rashes on forearm and elbows. mood up and down obviously. small breakout on back. And allergies is kickin my ass.

just going to let accutane do it's thing.

hey man, i didnt even read the rest of your log yet cause your first post summed up exactly how I have felt as well. Only difference between us is I am 26 and have had acne non-stop since like 15. Just now, past 2 months, have I cleared up thanks to accutane.

I had a friend much like the people your referred too. Dood did not do SHIT to his face. Didnt wash it, nothing. He smoked, didnt work out, ate whatever he wanted, etc. Had clear skin. The one day he gets a little pimple and he comes to me freaking out like its the end of the world. I wanted to say like, "ummmm look at me!", but didnt.

My journey with the battle is similar to yours. I workout at least 5 times a week. At times I have tried switching to just drinking water and eating super healthy, too no real help. Not wanting to take pictures and using different excuses to get out of taking them. I too feel like a lot of my "good" years have been taken away from me because of acne. Not being able to do everything I wanted to, and not having pictures to look back on to remember the things I did do.

My goal right now is a few months into 2010, I wanna be done with it. OVER. Im getting off accutane in 2 months I think, then need to wait 6 months to get some laser surgery to remove redness and scarring. That will take me into 2010 and hopefully,i can finally put this behind me for ever.

Dont get me wrong, I am very happy where I am now, compared to where i was a year ago, but i am not where i ultimately want to be.

Good luck man.

Day 84 end of week 12 start of week 13. And start of Month 4.

So I was in vegas for three days for work.. and it's really hot out there. my skin has been okay. Still have redness.... Skin has been really dry lately.. kinda flaking.. I started using Cetaphil normal to oily skin cleanser and found out that it is way too drying.. So back to cetaphil gentle skin cleanser.....

My skin has been really ichy lately... all over... no more rash at all... dry eyes and really tired lately but maybe because so much is going on..

i have to one final speech due on saturday for my public speaking classs... gotta register for summer classes.. spanish and history.. and work has been stupid.. but other than that... whatever.. iam too tired to think anymore... good luck all and to myself as well.

I hope month 4 is a good one..