Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pmak

Seeing dermatologist on May 10... advice for Spironolactone?

I am a 22 year old male. I have been plagued by acne for the last 3-5 years.

I saw my GP today. Up until now, I have been using Retin-A cream, and it makes the acne get better sometimes, but it always gets worse again. I have also been put on antibiotics in the past without adequate results.

I asked my GP about putting me on Spironolactone, but he said that Spironolactone is not FDA-approved for treating acne. He did give me a referral to a dermatologist and suggested that I could ask the dermatologist about that, but I get the feeling the dermatologist would say the same thing and refuse to prescribe Spironolactone for me.

I am on a quest to obtain Spironolactone. Can anyone provide me with advice on how to get my dermatologist to prescribe it to me? My strong attitude towards wanting to obtain Spironolactone is based on two assumptions:

(1) Spironolactone will cure my acne 100%, since spironolactone lowers testosterone and acne cannot exist without testosterone. Anything else will not work 100% except maybe Accutane, and Accutane has significant health risks.

(2) Spironolactone will have negative effects on my sexual drive and function, but I don't really like sex anyway.