Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadliest catch

I'm confused on how acne works.

There's 3 things that make acne.

1. Bacteria

2. pores being clogged

3. oil (sebum)

There's a lot of treatments out there that combat the bacteria like Benzoyl peroxide, blue and red lights that kill the p. bacteria, and drugs that kill the bacteria. I think theses treatments that focus on the bacteria are just solving the symptoms rather then solving the problem.

Now lets go into the oil part of acne. When we go though puberty we produce a lot of hormones that trigger excessive sebum oil on areas like your face, back and neck. I've read somewhere why we only have it on are faces is because thats were we have the most sebum glands. So obvilously this most be the root of the problem. Drugs like Accutane have shown decreasing the amount of oil will cure acne.

Questions:

1. Im just wondering does everyone when going though puberty produce the same amount of oil?

2. does the type of sebum oil we produce differ from one person to another in terms of thickness and stickiness?

3. was there ever a advantage of a human producing more sebum oil then another human, what's the propose of having more oil?

4. How long have people been suffering from acne, was there acne in ancient times? Yes there was, The Romans suffered from acne and they tried to treat it by taking warm baths. http://ezinearticles.com/?Severe-Acne-Reme...r&id=428323

5. Is acne not a genetic problem, is it just a symptom of having p. bacteria on are faces?

6. has p. bacteria mutated into a deadly strain that causes acne?

7. why does your hormones trigger you to produce more oils, what's the reasons?

8. does the pore's shape and size play a role in acne?

9. why do we need more sebum glands on are face, necks and backs, are legs seem to be fine with out them?

10. how come acne stops at your hair line, why isn't there acne in your hair? Acne can grow in your hair, its called folliculatis.

11. is there any animals that have acne as severe as humans?

12. could acne be caused by humans evolving and losing there monkey hair.

13. does this guy have acne? http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zu05.jpg

14. could those small hairs be a factor on are acne?

15.(wapak) Why do people keep on using topicals, anti-biotics and accutane even if it does not solve the problem and they even have negative side effects?

16. could the reason why people suffer from acne could be because those acne suffers have a weak defense in there own body to battle off the p. bacteria?

17. Whats the stuff that comes out when you pop a pimple? whats in the pimple whitehead? is it sebum with white blood cells?

Your Conclusions:

1. My conclusion is that Acne is the side effect of excessive sebum oil. I don't think the other 2 factors bacteria and clogged pores are the main cause. I think the reason why are pores are clogged is because of having excessive sebum oil, I know that the cells in the Sebaceous follicles get clogged for some "unknown reason" but I think the unknown reason has a lot to do with sebum oil. Then since the Sebaceous follicles are clogged the bacteria thrive in a good habitat without any oxygen, btw oxygen kills p bacteria. I think when excessive sebum oil is stop or normal then the other factors will disappear because they all play a role together. What I'm wondering is if we could measure the amount of sebum oil in one Sebaceous follicle in a "acne free person" to a "severe acne victim".

Post more questions if I think of them, also if you want to post a question feel free and please feel free to post a conclusion.

I've read somewhere why we only have it on are faces is because thats were we have the most sebum glands. So obvilously this most be the root of the problem.

Alas, many of us have acne on places besides our faces. I find nothing about acne obvious. Every halfway decent theory has some big holes in it. When someone can take a person who's never had acne and induce acne in them in a short period, then I'll start to believe the mystery is being solved. :D

But, in the meantime, what to do with all these acne-free people walking around with high testosterone levels, greasy skin, no hygiene, eating wheat and gluten, insulin resistant, and guzzling high-fructose corn syrup out of containers I cannot lift with one hand? They are living testaments to how little we understand about this disease...

I've read somewhere why we only have it on are faces is because thats were we have the most sebum glands. So obvilously this most be the root of the problem.

Alas, many of us have acne on places besides our faces. I find nothing about acne obvious. Every halfway decent theory has some big holes in it. When someone can take a person who's never had acne and induce acne in them in a short period, then I'll start to believe the mystery is being solved. :D

But, in the meantime, what to do with all these acne-free people walking around with high testosterone levels, greasy skin, no hygiene, eating wheat and gluten, insulin resistant, and guzzling high-fructose corn syrup out of containers I cannot lift with one hand? They are living testaments to how little we understand about this disease...

your 100% right. we know nothing about it.

Well I can answere one question I know for sure, "10. how come acne stops at your hair line, why isn't there acne in your hair?".

False, since I have acne in my hair at this very moment... :cool:

I will answer your questions based on my experience and from my research, and they will be in bold.

Questions:

1. Im just wondering does everyone when going though puberty produce the same amount of oil?

No, every person is different.

2. does the type of sebum oil we produce differ from one person to another in terms of thickness and stickiness?

I don't know about this one.

3. was there ever a advantage of a human producing more sebum oil then another human, what's the propose of having more oil?

Yes, sebum oil increases during our puberty because our body evolved that when we get into adult we will face harsh environment so it develops defense system for that. And sebum oil along with sweat and other things form the "acid mantle" which is a protective layer on the skin. It kills bacteria and keeps your skin hydrated.

4. How long have people been suffering from acne, was there acne in ancient times?

I don't know. Time machine please!

5. Is acne not a genetic problem, is it just a symptom of having p. bacteria on are faces?

It is indirectly a genetic problem. You don't inherit acne, but you will inherit a skin that is more acne-prone than others.

6. has p. bacteria mutated into a deadly strain that causes acne?

No, it is the same as before.

7. why does your hormones trigger you to produce more oils, what's the reasons?

Read the answer to no.3

8. does the pore's shape and size play a role in acne?

No, not really. I see people with large pores with acne and people with the tiniest pores still with acne.

9. why do we need more sebum glands on are face, necks and backs, are legs seem to be fine with out them?

I really don't know, but our body evolves the way it has to adapt to its environment so there must be some reason for this.

10. how come acne stops at your hair line, why isn't there acne in your hair? Acne can grow in your hair, its called folliculatis.

It's probably because of the difference in skin composition from our face compared to our scalp.

11. is there any animals that have acne as severe as humans?

I don't know.

12. could acne be caused by humans evolving and losing there monkey hair.

No.

13. does this guy have acne? http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zu05.jpg

I'd probably ask him.

14. could those small hairs be a factor on are acne?

We have million of small hairs and yet only a number of zits. I'd say no.

Now, here is my question:

Why do people keep on using topicals, anti-biotics and accutane even if it does not solve the problem and they even have negative side effects?

regarding the accutane etc.... f or really many.. it is a cure, as in.. it doesnt come again... it givetheir life back, as it shrinks their glands... im one of the lucky guys ... ;o..

besides.. even if it did not help... wouldnt you go far to get to experience happiness for 6 months while on it? personally, i would almost give up my life after thoes 6 months if i was to be clear and social those 6 months. might be abit intensive ppl may say.. but we all differ in personality aight? my metrosexual one cant go along with it ... happily.. accutane despite side effects rescued me from the abyss :) and i cant start chatting with a nice girl :)... a gODLIKE! :D

accutane = pill of heavens.. thanks dermatologist..

your 100% right. we know nothing about it.

You may know nothing about it but your dermatologist sure does.

Some may flame me for this, but I truly believe we know the exact causes of acne but it is being kept a secret. Let me ask you this: What is more profitable? Selling treatment medications to someone for years on end, or offering the cure for the disease?

Once someone is "cured", they no longer need to buy treatment products. In today's society, it behooves me to think that we have not found a cure for something as simple as acne, yet we have sequenced the entire human genome.

I dont buy it. (Well, technically, I guess I do buy it.)

No, plenty of people have oily skin and no acne. Also, there's inflammation. And of course, at the root is hormones and various bodily functions.

Oh yeah, and allergies and food intolerances.

I am new to this board and it is so cool to see so many people sharing information. I recently came across a youtube thing that totally explains acne. It is done by a doctor that helped develop a lot of treatments - Dr. Fulton. Type in "acne dr. fulton" and you will see it. I think it is called Acne Epidemic.

Some may flame me for this, but I truly believe we know the exact causes of acne but it is being kept a secret. Let me ask you this: What is more profitable? Selling treatment medications to someone for years on end, or offering the cure for the disease?

Once someone is "cured", they no longer need to buy treatment products. In today's society, it behooves me to think that we have not found a cure for something as simple as acne, yet we have sequenced the entire human genome.

I dont buy it. (Well, technically, I guess I do buy it.)

I'm a bit leery of these conspiracy theories, mostly because they don't make much historic or economic sense. People have been using research dollars and hard work to find cures for a long time, and once a cheap cure is found, the old ineffective treatments disappear and nobody misses them. It's often more trouble than it's worth to push expensive, unnecessary treatments when a cure is readily available.

If the acne cure is slow to arrive, it's because acne is not as simple as you suggest. As diseases go, it's actually damn complicated. Similarly, sequencing the genome isn't as mystical and awe-inspiring as you may think. It's a reasonable and fairly straightforward problem that can be solved with enough computing power. Interpreting the genome, and figuring out how it applies to complex conditions like acne...that's the hard part.

In response to the original post, those are all really good questions. I wish I knew the answers, and I completely agree that killing off the bacteria is missing the point. There's nothing inherently wrong with bacteria on the skin.

It's worth adding to your list of basic acne causes: beyond oily skin and bacteria, many people experience acne because their skin has trouble with its natural turnover process. Some people's skin cells are stickier and less likely to shed than others, for reasons that are primarily genetic. I don't know the details about this, but there are people on the board who have studied the research very closely. As it turns out, Accutane does more than shrink oil glands; it has been shown to help with keratinization and reduce the "stickiness" of skin cells, so they slide out more easily and your skin can regenerate normally without breaking you out. This is why people can have clear skin even if they produce a lot of oil. Something to think about.

It really depends to be honest. Not everyone's acne or cause is the same. For me my acne was something that didn't need a visit to the dermatologist or prescriptions.

It was my lifestyle. Of course going to a dermatologist and getting a pill is much easier. That's why some people that accutante doesn't work for will never be able to fix their acne problem because it is damn hard to live healthy. I mean all aspects. Even the sleeping is hard. Sleeping early is hard. However the struggle is probably in exercising and eating healthy. Eating healthy doesn't neccesarily mean whole food market or whatever. That is kinda expensive and I don't know how many people can afford "whole...organic food"

mainly it's what you stated but there are also other factors.