Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saleena

My Dermarolling Log

Hey guys, I found this forum about 3 1/2 months ago and it got me interested in dermarolling to help eliminate my scars. Here is a brief decription:

I suffered from acne most of my high school and into my college career. I mostly got it on my cheeks, however, had gotton some on my neck and forehead as well. However, all of the scarring is centered on my cheeks. I have about 5-6 noticeable box car and rolling scars on my left cheek and about 4 on my right. The rest of the scars are hardly noticeable compared to these.

I purchased a 1.5mm dermaroller last Deccember and have used it about 6 times since then. I know I have used it too frequently, however, I have only really properly rolled my face the past two times (significant redness and some bleeding).

So far, I have noticed slight improvement in skin tone and texture. As far as the scars go, I can say I have seen maybe a 5-10% improvement in them. The deeper ones still remain and are very noticeable in the right lighting conditions, however, I can say that the rolling I have done so far has improved my skin somewhat.

I have recently purchased terproline, diabetic lancets and 660nm LED array and will use all of these on my next roll (planned for next weekend). I think that this will significantly improve not only my results, but the speed in which it occurs, judging from what I have read on Lamarr's post. It should be noted that I excercise regularly, drink mostly water, and take 1000mg of vitamin C a day.

If you have any questions or pointers (because this will be my first time using the roller, needles, teproline and LED's), I would be happy to answer them and be extremely grateful for any tips on how to use these. I am starting this to help others out there who may be considering trying to heal themselves, rather than dropping $$$ on treatments that only get mixed results. I will start taking pics from here on out, however, will only post when I can visibly see results.

Good luck to everyone out there and remember to keep a positive spirit.

you look ready to go saleena..

My deep scars have been very very stubborn to..eventually they will meet there maker by the blade of the needle..

hope you achieve great results.. :)

Can you post some pics? A picture is worth a thousand words on these forums =)

I'll post some before and after pics after my next rolling session.

Glad to see you're on board Saleena. Your routine looks very good but you need to add a Vitamin A topical into the mix.

Dr. Fernandes considers it a must and the most important topical to add after rolling. The entire collagen building process begins with Vitamin A setting things off.

If you haven't already, read through some of the links in that "dermaroller support thread", where Bethany went through a lot of work and research putting together links validating the dermaroller process. The info concerning Vitamin A and other thoughts from Dr. Fernandes can be had there.

Best of Luck and thanks for sharing your progress with the rest of us.

Glad to see you're on board Saleena. Your routine looks very good but you need to add a Vitamin A topical into the mix.

Dr. Fernandes considers it a must and the most important topical to add after rolling. The entire collagen building process begins with Vitamin A setting things off.

If you haven't already, read through some of the links in that "dermaroller support thread", where Bethany went through a lot of work and research putting together links validating the dermaroller process. The info concerning Vitamin A and other thoughts from Dr. Fernandes can be had there.

Best of Luck and thanks for sharing your progress with the rest of us.

Thanks for the advice, what vit A topical do you use just another1?

UPDATE: I received my LED set up. It came faster than I thought, but it comes from South Cali, where I live, so I guess it makes sense ;) I am still waiting for my terproline. I hope I get it before next weekend as that is the scheduled date for my next rolling session. I have used the LED on my face the past two nights, 5 minutes each side to get my skin used to the LED's as well as start stimulation of the collagen underneath so it is already growing a bit before I roll.

I just want to say that i really am not a fan of topical retinoids or vitamin A. Especially if you have a tendency to blush or flush. If you have any rosacea in the family or if you have taken accutane i would stay well away from retinoids and topical vitamin A whilst doing dermaroller and needling atleast.

If you have very tough skin then i think a once daily application of a weak retinoid or vitamin A is OK. I have achieved very good results without any form of vitamin A though.

Just be very carefull not to cause any form of irritation from the retinoids/vitamin A.

Whereabouts did you get the LED from and how much did it cost? Thanks.

theledman.net prices are on the page

Hi everyone. I received my terproline yesterday. So I did my rolling session last night. I started out by putting 13 lancets in a rubbing alcohol solution along with my 1.5mm roller. I then put a pot of boiling water on the stove and put my face over it to soften up my skin and open up my pores.

Now I don't use a numbing solution on my skin. Believe it or not, individually needling my scars hurt more than rolling. I just couldn't needle very much. It got to the point where I would have to press my roller into the skin next to my scar to take away some of the emphasis on the pain the lancet caused. I know, it sounds barbaric but it worked.

Anywho, the worst of my scarring is on the left side of my face, so I concentrated more on that side. When I roll my cheeks, I usually put something in my mouth to elevate the outside of my cheek so I can get full penetration with the roller. I did many passes on my left side. There was considerable pain and blood- which is a good sign. I also needled a little bit, but not much. I noticed it hurt a lot more when I would try to roll/needle my right side. I did not roll my right side as much and it really shows this morning. My left side is pretty red and in some spots, a ruby red. I have darker skin so I don't expect it to be very bad after a few days, whereas in light skin, the redness usually should last about a week.

After I rolled (which took about an hour), I had gone through so much pain I was dizzy. But you know what they say- no pain no gain :-) I sterilized my roller in alcohol again for about 30-40 minutes and let it air dry.

I then applied terproline in fairly generous amounts. My skin absorbed the first coat pretty quickly. After this I used my 660nm LED array on each cheek for about 10 minutes- then took a break. Then I used it again for another 5 minutes each, but moved it around a larger area of my face. Then I applied more terproline and went to bed.

Like I said, my left cheek is pretty red, my right side not so bad. Ill tell you something though, If my skin could stay the way it is after a rolling (minus the redness), I would be soo happy. Dermarolling really does plump up the depressed scars and smooths out the skin. This has been really only my second quality rolling sessions. The other ones were not as thorough. I will wait about 4-6 weeks and do the same thing.

As for after care of my face, are there any suggestions on helping along the recovery for the best results?? I'm just gonna apply terproline twice and day and some cocoa butter with vitamin E moisturizer in between for the top layer of skin. I will also use my LED array for 10 minutes a cheek every night.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I am posting here for you guys :surprised:

post-91901-1236987671_thumb.jpg

This is the scarring before I rolled. This is basically the best lighting to see the scars in.

post-91901-1236987808_thumb.jpg

This is the same cheek as of today. Its been about 14 hours. You can see the redness very well. Also you can use the birthmark as a guiding point to see the scars. The scars are still visible, however, the swelling has minimized their visibleness. I will take another pic when the redness goes away.

post-91901-1236987671_thumb.jpg

post-91901-1236987808_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, I am going in for my firs subcision treatment tomorrow at 11am. I really don't know what to expect. The only thing I am scared of is further scarring, but I'm sure things will be fine, especially if I use neosporin coupled with my LED array. This should help close and heal the wounds as well as promote collagen production. I already posted before pictures. I will post after as soon as I can. Wish me luck guys! Oh and a big thanks to Mr. Matt for helping me out!

UPDATE: I received my LED set up. It came faster than I thought, but it comes from South Cali, where I live, so I guess it makes sense ;) I am still waiting for my terproline. I hope I get it before next weekend as that is the scheduled date for my next rolling session. I have used the LED on my face the past two nights, 5 minutes each side to get my skin used to the LED's as well as start stimulation of the collagen underneath so it is already growing a bit before I roll.

Sorry Selena, I didn't see this post as I don't often frequent the board much. I currently use Green Cream Level 9. I has done wonders for me. There are other brand retinols available and the price varies as well.

Hope everything is going well with your therapy! Good Luck!

I just want to say that i really am not a fan of topical retinoids or vitamin A. Especially if you have a tendency to blush or flush. If you have any rosacea in the family or if you have taken accutane i would stay well away from retinoids and topical vitamin A whilst doing dermaroller and needling atleast.

If you have very tough skin then i think a once daily application of a weak retinoid or vitamin A is OK. I have achieved very good results without any form of vitamin A though.

Just be very carefull not to cause any form of irritation from the retinoids/vitamin A.

Yea that's a shame bud. Think of how fast your progress could have been if you added it.

Hey guys, I just got back from getting my subcision procedure done. Here is what happened:

First we isolated the spots on my cheek that I wanted to get done. Then he numbed me. This was the most painful part. He must have injected me at least 15 times on each cheek. Some hurt very bad. Some weren't bad at all. But it sure worked.

He then got a special needle, not the Nokor needle, where it is used like a knife, but another needle with a knife shaped angle at the end. He inserted it under each scar from different angles and really moved it around a lot to break up the scar tissue. Although I didn't feel any pain, I did feel extreme pressure where he was trying to break through some of the thick scar tissue. He did this pretty thoroughly on both cheeks. This took about 20 minutes, as I only have about 11 scars centered in a small area.

Then he injected fillers under the skin (I forgot the name of the material). There are two reasons why I decided to have the fillers put in. 1) It will keep the skin raised as it heals, so when the fillers wear away, the skin will be higher than if they fillers were not there. 2) It raises the scars higher than they would normally be after the swelling subsides for a better appearance.

He said I could expect up to about 50% improvement in my scars, however, I only expect around 15-20% improvement, which is still pretty good considering the high-priced alternatives. I will probably need an additional treatment on scars he may have missed, however, I know I will get SOME improvement. The reason he may have missed some areas is because my skin swelled up A LOT after the numbing and it really reduced some otherwise noticeable scars. But I am confident he got most of the bad ones. I need to remember its a process and it will only get better with time.

I am planning on rolling/needling again either next week, or two weeks from now after the swelling goes down. Then I will wait a good 6 to 8 weeks before I do anything else. I will also be using my 660nm LED array nightly for about 10 minutes per cheek for the next couple weeks to help promote collagen growth. I will also apply terproline nightly to help with that as well.

As for my appearance, my face is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Again, my skin reacts very well to trauma and my skin is darker. It is a little red and swollen although not very noticeable. In fact, I could go out tonight and probably not have anyone notice.

I will take a few pics now an in a couple weeks after the swelling goes down to judge on the improvement I can expect. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. Wish me luck as I fight these freakin' scars!!

just wonder when did you acne go away and did you have any treatments like accutane that got rid of it?

I got acne right before the 9th grade. It was never severe, however, it persisted for about 4-5 years right after I graduated. I never went on any medications for it. I just washed my face regularly. Luckily for me the acne subsided at a fairly young age. However it seems like every pimple I had left a scar.

Sorry Selena, I didn't see this post as I don't often frequent the board much. I currently use Green Cream Level 9. I has done wonders for me. There are other brand retinols available and the price varies as well.

Hope everything is going well with your therapy! Good Luck!

Yea that's a shame bud. Think of how fast your progress could have been if you added it.

I'm glad to hear that your procedure went well, Saleena.

Can you find out what type of filler was used by your doctor?

Keep us all posted on your progress.

Im also on Green Cream, but level 6...no redness, some dryness...only causes peeling if I get it on the under-eye area

But it HAS smoothed my skin out quite a bit :) Less oily and less small breakouts

I alternate it with my Vitamin C Serum (Jason's Hyper-C anti-aging)

I am planning on rolling/needling again either next week, or two weeks from now after the swelling goes down.

I would wait longer before rolling, especially if you roll aggressively. Don't interfere with the healing process. It's hard to be patient when going through scar revision but it's always better to err on the side of caution. I would wait a couple of months before rolling.

Can you roll if you have fillers?

I am planning on rolling/needling again either next week, or two weeks from now after the swelling goes down.

I would wait longer before rolling, especially if you roll aggressively. Don't interfere with the healing process. It's hard to be patient when going through scar revision but it's always better to err on the side of caution. I would wait a couple of months before rolling.

Can you roll if you have fillers?

Saleena,

I agree with Pogo. I believe that your skin will need some time to heal from the injection sites and from the subcision treatment itself.

I would wait at least six weeks before you do anything to your skin and would talk to your doctor first especially since you had Restalyne injected. I'm not sure what will happen if you put needles into your skin after such a short time.

I made the mistake of doing a chemical peel one week after my subcision procedure. Like everyone else, I want to get rid of my scars. However, in looking back, it was way too soon to do a chemical peel. My face was bright red for three days.

Matt

Hi! I haven't read all the posts yet, but i'm pretty sure my scars are very similar to yours... I've never heard about Dermarolling, but i will read some about it here and on the web. The pictures you posted were amazing... I will pass here from time to time... Sorry my bad english... Take care*

Hey Matt, the swelling is pretty much gone. There is really no more bruising. 3 of my scars are barely noticeable. The others you can still see in the right lighting, however, they look better. I don't want to get my hopes up just yet because I know there is still some micro swelling underneath the skin, however, I am very optimistic that I will see some good results. I think after my next rolling session I will see some great results. I may need another round of subcision, though.

How is your recovery coming along?

Hey Matt, the swelling is pretty much gone. There is really no more bruising. 3 of my scars are barely noticeable. The others you can still see in the right lighting, however, they look better. I don't want to get my hopes up just yet because I know there is still some micro swelling underneath the skin, however, I am very optimistic that I will see some good results. I think after my next rolling session I will see some great results. I may need another round of subcision, though.

How is your recovery coming along?

Saleena:

My left cheek seems to have responded better to subcision than my right cheek. My right cheek has seem very deep rolling scars, so I think that it may take multiple sessions of subcision and perhaps a dermal filler to correct those scars.

I'm glad that I took before and after pictures because the progress is truly incremental. I can see that the subcision has made a difference.

Did I read that you ordered Terpoline? Hasn't made any difference in the rate of your healing? How about LED lighting? Any difference with that?

I'll be posting my pictures this Monday.

Make it a great week.

Matt

Yes I am using Terproline and LED's. I couldn't tell you if it is visually making a difference because I started using both after my first REAL rolling session. However I have noticed an improvement in my skin tone as of late. Some of my larger pores have decreased in size. I have used the LED's for about 15 minutes each cheek since last Friday night.

With that said, I am sure it is making a difference from all the research that has been conducted on both. Like you said, it i incremental. I know that I am speeding up the healing process by using the LED's.

I think that if I keep up with the Terproline and LED's, I should see a significant improvement in the next month or so.