Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r0ckst4r

Accutane- 20 years ago VS. now!

i get my bad skin from my mom and grandfather, and i have a few cousins who have it as bad as me.

back in the seventies when accutane first came out, my mom tried it (after trying everything else for about ten years) and it cured her for life! she had two two-month courses, but i dont know what kind of dosage.

but she's also told me that they would do strange things like put her under an intense sun lamp for hours! i showed her some accutane stories from this site, and she couldn't BELIEVE that people had been on it for more than 150-200 days!

so my question is, will accutane most likely work for me, since it works in the family? or has too much changed since the past?

i get my bad skin from my mom and grandfather, and i have a few cousins who have it as bad as me.

back in the seventies when accutane first came out, my mom tried it (after trying everything else for about ten years) and it cured her for life! she had two two-month courses, but i dont know what kind of dosage.

but she's also told me that they would do strange things like put her under an intense sun lamp for hours! i showed her some accutane stories from this site, and she couldn't BELIEVE that people had been on it for more than 150-200 days!

so my question is, will accutane most likely work for me, since it works in the family? or has too much changed since the past?

It honestly doesn't matter who has tried it in your family... Accutane doesn't run in the family genetically. :think:

Anyways, Accutane has a HIGh success rate, and you can read people's successful logs, too! And Dermatologists don't put their patients under sun lamps... in fact, they strongly advise against going out into the sun OR the tanning bed on Accutane, because your skin is already so fragile. Being on a 5-6 (sometimes more) months course gives you more time to clear up and its more guarenteed to stay away. If anything, Accutane will likely work better now in the present than the past. I highly think it will work for you.

It honestly doesn't matter who has tried it in your family... Accutane doesn't run in the family genetically. :think:

Anyways, Accutane has a HIGh success rate, and you can read people's successful logs, too! And Dermatologists don't put their patients under sun lamps... in fact, they strongly advise against going out into the sun OR the tanning bed on Accutane, because your skin is already so fragile. Being on a 5-6 (sometimes more) months course gives you more time to clear up and its more guarenteed to stay away. If anything, Accutane will likely work better now in the present than the past. I highly think it will work for you.

thanks for the advice! i'm pretty sure accutane would work for me, too, but my doctor wants to try some milder medications first. right now i'm using the over-the-counter stuff called CETAPHIL.

my biggest problem isnt cysts or hard, under the skin acne. my biggest problem is SCARRING. i don't have much active acne, but i have lots of spotty leftovers from past pimples. is accutane helpful for scarring, or does it make skin even more sensitive and slower to heal?

thanks for the advice! i'm pretty sure accutane would work for me, too, but my doctor wants to try some milder medications first. right now i'm using the over-the-counter stuff called CETAPHIL.

my biggest problem isnt cysts or hard, under the skin acne. my biggest problem is SCARRING. i don't have much active acne, but i have lots of spotty leftovers from past pimples. is accutane helpful for scarring, or does it make skin even more sensitive and slower to heal?

Accutane in FACT makes it easier to scar ... that's why everybody says don't pick! It takes slower to heal whilst on Accutane, too... and skin is more sensitive, flaky, peeling and in some cases, red. Some people have said their scarring has faded with time, but Accutane does NOT heal scarring.

There are studies that show accutane helps scarring. Probably because it builds collagen. It also helps wrinkles.

to both of ya:

i've heard that accutane DOES make the scars go away, but if your skin gets sunburned or hurt at all, then it makes NEW scars a lot easier.

so i think you're actually both right. :]

haha my mom always tells me about crazy things they used to do for acne back in the day. haha she said that one time she went to a dermatologist and they made her sit in some light thingy for awhile and then she got huge blisters on her face the size of quarters.

ahhh thank god times have changed. haha :cool:

and to answer your question, yes, i think accutane will work for you.

i've been on it for almost a month, and the side effects honestly aren't that bad (i'm on 40 MG though, this is considered a 'medium' dose')

acne also runs in my family...but nobody has ever taken accutane (well not that i know of)

There are studies that show accutane helps scarring. Probably because it builds collagen. It also helps wrinkles.

to both of ya:

i've heard that accutane DOES make the scars go away, but if your skin gets sunburned or hurt at all, then it makes NEW scars a lot easier.

so i think you're actually both right. :]

Yeah. If it makes your skin really fragile and you get cysts and pimples, you will scar easily, just like with retin-a, which is the same thing as tane, but tane is better at remodeling skin.

im sure acne has evolved since then, and so have we. Im on accutane currently, and so far my face is less oily, best thing to do is try it. Im sure your family will support you.