Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr man

Effects of sun exposure after fraxel lazer treatment

Hey everyone!

I am new to this site so please don’t shout if this has been covered elsewhere!

I have some questions concerning the fraxel treatment relating to sun exposure. I am thinking of having the treatment before I am heading of to a trip to China in the summer and i have been looking at the temperatures in China and it will be very hot!

I have been told by the nurse that too much sun exposure can cause a darkening of the effected area causing it to go a different shade to the rest of your face. If i was to have the treatment i was planning to wear factor 50 at all times. My concern is however that because i tan fairly easily (I am Caucasian btw), and will no doubt be exposed to the sun to a certain extent it is highly likely that even if i am very careful i will get some sun exposure on my face and potentially tan to some degree.

What are the implications of this? If it is not possible to have any sun exposure after this treatment than i think the risk would be to high and I will have to leave it until I get back. Also if the worst was to happen and my face darkened where i had the treatment is it reversible? Has anyone any experiences of this?

Thanks

Just apply the sunblock (use SPF 50 and above) every 2 to 4 hours and wear a hat and try not to walk directly under the sun or be out for long. A few minutes of sun exposure here and there AFTER a week or two can be tolerated this way. This is the best one can do right.

If that’s the case I think its too risky I am there for three months and it will be like 30 degrees I am bound to get exposed more that that.

Any experiences people have had with this?

TB

its really hard to say, i personally have had problems with fraxel and the sun. there are people on this board who have had no problems. they do offer fraxel in asian countries so i cant imagine that those people can avoid the sun and warm temperatures for that long. but again i have reviewed this a lot and it seems to be a crapshoot, some people are extremely sensitive (like me), others not so much.

The more time in between your treatment and your trip, the better off you will be. I had Repair done last May 22 and I am an avid walker. I used SPF 50 sunscreen from Walgreens and wore a mesh pith helmet, and never had any problems. I certainly don't believe you have to avoid the sun for the rest of your life.