Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JCfromNC

New Accutane User

Hi everyone,

I'm 31 year old female with moderate (sometimes cystic) acne, who finally after many years, got put on Accutane. I just started yesterday.... one 40mg capsule once a day for the 1st month... then I don't know what, until I go back to the derm April 2nd. I just wanted to hop on this board for any advice and/ support you guys might offer.... from anyone who has already taken the Accutane plunge.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all,

Jennifer

Hi everyone,

I'm 31 year old female with moderate (sometimes cystic) acne, who finally after many years, got put on Accutane. I just started yesterday.... one 40mg capsule once a day for the 1st month... then I don't know what, until I go back to the derm April 2nd. I just wanted to hop on this board for any advice and/ support you guys might offer.... from anyone who has already taken the Accutane plunge.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all,

Jennifer

Okay, I have a LOT of tips for you.

1. ALWAYS carry around chap stick or Aquaphor or whatever your cup of tea is (what you like to use) ;) The dry lips on Accutane are annoying and it drives ME insane! Also, if you like to carry around stuff in your purse, put some small bottles of moisturizer or something like that to carry around, too. Dry skin is no fun.

2. DON'T over-wash your face as it will already be sensitive. 1 wash a day is just FINE, but you can wash two times if you really want.

3. Always take your pill with a nice fatty meal... it'll be properly absorbed this way, and you'll get all you can out of the pill. If you can't have a fatty meal at the moment, at least eat something with it, or drink a glass of fatty milk.

4. Don't WAX!! That's a big no no. Your skin is already frail enough as it is on Accutane.

5. You can drink a little, but don't overdo it! Your liver is already taking a beating, as Accutane works hard on the liver, and over-drinking is not good. A couple of drinks over periods of time should be fine.

6. Find some good moisturizer, because it'll be your buddy until you're done with the treatment. I've been using Eucerin until I can find something else.

7. Absolutely do not pick at your face... Accutane DOUBLES your chance for scarring, and the whiteheads/pimples will eventually go away, so please don't pick. I'd rather have them on my face than scar. If you're in the habit of picking, you'll need to break it while you're on Accutane (and after, of course), because I used to be a bad picker, as well.

8. Don't expect improvemet to be like BAM! Because it won't. I'm in my third month and still have not seen significant improvement, and have been unconfidant about it A LOT, but I have seen people not improve until the very end of their course. Accutane works differently on everybody, and you may not see anything until the very end. You just gotta keep hangin' in there.

Also, if you want to keep track of your personal progress, then you can make an Accutane Log for others to read and see and encourage you as well. There you can post pictures of how you're improving, too.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. ;)

Hiya, Jennifer. We're the same age and neighbors to boot! :D My course ended about 7 months ago and I hope hope hope Accutane works as well for you as it did for me. :boogie: Keep us posted!

We all wish that. :rolleyes:

You might like Purpose more than I do - which I have been using the whole time, and am looking to switch to something else. I find that my face is really tight after I use it and for some reason it doesn't lather all too well. You'll be able to enjoy yourself at your cuz's wedding, for sure! Just don't go overboard. What's the fun in a wedding without any drinking, eh? If you're lucky, the only side effects you should experience are dry skin and lips, and even those are annoying, too!

As for the "hard to stop picking" deal, I have been given advice on this, too. Somebody told me to just put tons of moisturizer on my face and when you go to pick you'll feel the moisturizer and for some reason it'll be less appealing to pick at.

Yes, it could take five months or more, but it really is worth it at the end. I'd rather (honestly) suffer for five+ months to have a lifetime of clear, pretty skin. However, the usual treatment span is 5-6, from what I have heard. Hang in there!

We all wish that. :rolleyes:

You might like Purpose more than I do - which I have been using the whole time, and am looking to switch to something else. I find that my face is really tight after I use it and for some reason it doesn't lather all too well. You'll be able to enjoy yourself at your cuz's wedding, for sure! Just don't go overboard. What's the fun in a wedding without any drinking, eh? If you're lucky, the only side effects you should experience are dry skin and lips, and even those are annoying, too!

As for the "hard to stop picking" deal, I have been given advice on this, too. Somebody told me to just put tons of moisturizer on my face and when you go to pick you'll feel the moisturizer and for some reason it'll be less appealing to pick at.

Yes, it could take five months or more, but it really is worth it at the end. I'd rather (honestly) suffer for five+ months to have a lifetime of clear, pretty skin. However, the usual treatment span is 5-6, from what I have heard. Hang in there!

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your advice and support.... I'll keep you updated! :angel: