Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
windskissbg

Is it normal or accutane is doing no good here?

Hey guys I am a sufferer of cystic acne. well i don't have them all over my face just have like 1-2 big cysts esp on my jawlines and upper part of cheeks at a time. They often develop from a clogged blackheads or whiteheads which lie deep down under the skin. I'm already 2 months into my accutane course but right now I'm still broken out with 2 cysts, one of which is small and the other is big and red but not very painful. I am wondering why they still can get too inflamed like that. I'm very dry right now and i suppose the oil production is much decreased so why, why can these black/whiteheads get that much inflamed when they want to get out? Does this mean that accutane is not working? Pls give me some advice cos i'm right now on the verge of depression and i think i've spent too much money on Accutane for nothing at all.

Besides that i've been noticing that whenever i'm broken out even only with 1 big cyst my entire face becomes very bad, the complexion is horrible and the red marks seem darker. Has anyone experienced this? 3 days ago i was still enjoying my very good conplexion but now I'm a sucker :(

Hang in there, as it likely does not mean that it isn't working.

The fact is that everyone reacts to accutane differently.

That means that some people might notice great improvements immediately, while others might not notice the full benefit of the drug until the end of treatment. And on top of that - some actually tend to improve after the treatment is finsihed - which is why they say you have to take a break before being put on a 2nd course of treatment.

For me personally, i saw some improvement after a month, but the next few months kind of remained constant with very slow and hard to notice improvements (which can definitely make you wonder whether it's working or not - but hang in there), and during my last month (which i'm currently in) the improvements have continuted to grow and my skin is the best shapes it has been in a long, long time.

But like you, i was still getting some cystic blemishes well into months 2, 3, and 4. Even now, month 5, i have a larger blemish on the back of my neck - but it's the only one, whereas during months 2-4 i might have had a couple at a time (especially along my jawline - like you).

So hang in there and remember that the treatment is a process, and you can't expect everything to be perfect at a certain set date. It varies, but you're likely to continue to see improvements - just be patient!

Hi,

May I ask which dose you're taking?

I'm kinda desperate cos not only Accutane is giving my some additional small scars which have nothing to do with acne scar at all and making my red marks from previous acne stay longer, but also my face still has a bunch of whiteheads which I have no vision that will eventually get out. They're like staying forever. Do they really need to get inflamed in order to get themselves out. Will accutane take care of these deep stubborn whiteheads?

Ohh the big cyst is still getting bigger i really want to go get a cortisone shot cos it makes me too self-conscious to go out and see people, but my derm isn't here until 11th March :(.

Hi,

May I ask which dose you're taking?

I'm kinda desperate cos not only Accutane is giving my some additional small scars which have nothing to do with acne scar at all and making my red marks from previous acne stay longer, but also my face still has a bunch of whiteheads which I have no vision that will eventually get out. They're like staying forever. Do they really need to get inflamed in order to get themselves out. Will accutane take care of these deep stubborn whiteheads?

Ohh the big cyst is still getting bigger i really want to go get a cortisone shot cos it makes me too self-conscious to go out and see people, but my derm isn't here until 11th March :(.

I started off at 20mg/day for the first month.

The next two months i was on 40mg/day.

The following month i was back on 20mg/day.

The last month (and a 1/2) i'm back to 40mg/day.

So i was on a light dose, but at the same time i'm a lightweight.

Accutane has proven to be successfully with pretty much all types of acne, so i'm sure you'll be fine.

Like i said, it can just take a while before your skin fully shows the signs. And for a lot of people, like myself, your skin actually will get worse before it gets better. That's just part of the process.

But the process is only temporary, so hang in there and let the medication do its job!

And yes, red marks will occur. But these are not scars, and they will eventually fade after treatment. And even if they take a while to fade, they're something that can be easily treated.

I'm on 40 mg/day too and i'm about 53kg. I guess the dose is ok right?

So you started seeing great improvements from ur last month and u said ur face is in the best shape it has ever been in a long time, meaning u are acne free atm right? Do you have any red marks/or scars? Are they serious? Cos i have mostly huge cysts and when they're gone they left behind big dark red patches which are pain in the ass :( . I don't really know if any post-tane therapy can make them go away. Does your face glow? is your skin getting as soft as baby skin like some of the taners out there have had the luck to achieve such a miraculous thing?