Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

Cellulase enzymes for Candida?

I was thinking of trying something about candida again and searched vitacost for anti-fungals and cleanses.

Among the usual combos with fiber, probiotics and anti-fungals like garlic and herbs, there were some that contained enzymes as well or instead.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Candida-Yeast-Management

http://www.vitacost.com/Rainbow-Light-Candida-Cleanse

http://www.vitacost.com/Enzymedica-Candidase

This is one of the product description:

Because the cell walls of candida are largely made up of fiber, cellulase enzymes have the ability to digest them and help move them out of the body. NSI® Candida Yeast Management contains several cellulase and hemicellulase enzymes that work together to break down the fibrous structure of candida. In addition, it contains natural enzymes that help digest carbohydrates, the main source of "food" for candida. So, in addition to breaking down/digesting the yeast, this supplement also denies it its food source.

I'd never heard of this before.

I found this from a study that says the cell walls are mostly a form of glucose.

Approximately 80 to 90% of the cell wall of C. albicans is carbohydrate. Three basic constituents represent the major polysaccharides of the cell wall: (i) branched polymers of glucose containing beta -1,3 and beta -1,6 linkages (beta -glucans); (ii) unbranched polymers of N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (GlcNAc) containing beta -1,4 bonds (chitin); and (iii) polymers of mannose (mannan) covalently associated with proteins (glyco[manno]proteins). In addition, cell walls contain proteins (6 to 25%) and minor amounts of lipid (1 to 7%) (50, 64, 490, 493).

Because the cell walls of candida are largely made up of fiber, cellulase enzymes have the ability to digest them and help move them out of the body.

Interesting--does cellulase operate properly in the small intestine where candida lives?

In addition, it contains natural enzymes that help digest carbohydrates, the main source of "food" for candida. So, in addition to breaking down/digesting the yeast, this supplement also denies it its food source.

That doesn't make sense. Breaking down carbohydrates will simply give candida an easier time getting food.

^ I don't know. So far my searches for info haven't been very successful.

I did find one researcher saying that candida has a very strong ability to repair it's walls and keep multiplying, though.

There do seem to be a lot of products with these enzymes though.

Question -

If you stopped eating carbohydrates and fiber for a brief period of time (like on a diet of meat, eggs, and fat or something for a month) would the candida die from lack of food?

Question -

If you stopped eating carbohydrates and fiber for a brief period of time (like on a diet of meat, eggs, and fat or something for a month) would the candida die from lack of food?

That's what the candida diet is supposed to do, although I think it's for more than a month.

I was thinking of trying something about candida again and searched vitacost for anti-fungals and cleanses.

Among the usual combos with fiber, probiotics and anti-fungals like garlic and herbs, there were some that contained enzymes as well or instead.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Candida-Yeast-Management

http://www.vitacost.com/Rainbow-Light-Candida-Cleanse

http://www.vitacost.com/Enzymedica-Candidase

This is one of the product description:

Because the cell walls of candida are largely made up of fiber, cellulase enzymes have the ability to digest them and help move them out of the body. NSI® Candida Yeast Management contains several cellulase and hemicellulase enzymes that work together to break down the fibrous structure of candida. In addition, it contains natural enzymes that help digest carbohydrates, the main source of "food" for candida. So, in addition to breaking down/digesting the yeast, this supplement also denies it its food source.

I'd never heard of this before.

I found this from a study that says the cell walls are mostly a form of glucose.

Approximately 80 to 90% of the cell wall of C. albicans is carbohydrate. Three basic constituents represent the major polysaccharides of the cell wall: (i) branched polymers of glucose containing beta -1,3 and beta -1,6 linkages (beta -glucans); (ii) unbranched polymers of N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (GlcNAc) containing beta -1,4 bonds (chitin); and (iii) polymers of mannose (mannan) covalently associated with proteins (glyco[manno]proteins). In addition, cell walls contain proteins (6 to 25%) and minor amounts of lipid (1 to 7%) (50, 64, 490, 493).

There is a well regarded candida product called candex that works along those lines.

As for the issue about carbohydrates, a person with candida or bacterial overgrowth is quite possibly going to have a weakened digestive system and trouble digesting carbohydrates. If the carbohydrates are left undigested in the gut that is going to provide food for the further growth of yeast and undesirable bacteria. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet operates on this principle.

From everything I've been reading this morning, cellulase has little impact on chitin, especially on Candida albicans. This report sums up what I've found nicely. It's lengthy, but an interesting read if you're into this sort of thing. The two enzymes that are most effective against Candida albicans are chitinase and glucanase. I'm thinking the anti-fungal pills claiming to kill off candida overload via cellulase are stretching the truth.

Along that train of thought, if the pills are claiming to break down cellulose in order to "starve" the candida, I agree...I think it would make it easier for the bacteria to feed on carbohydrates that are being broken down for them. Our bodies do not have cellulase which is why fiber from roughage is so great for scraping out the bowels and for regularity. If all of the fiber is actually going to be broken down so we could digest it, wouldn't that have a negative impact on regularity and elimination in general?

Candidase's explaination:

Candidase â„¢ includes two enzymes that help control Candida. In individuals with yeast overgrowth there is often a large amount of undigested fiber in the large intestine. Cellulase is the enzyme that breaks down fiber. It is also the only digestive enzyme our body does not make. By adding cellulase to the diet this fiber may be removed along with mucus and our body is able to achieve balance. The cell of yeast contains some fungal cellulose or a compound called chitin. Chitin is a polysaccharide, or carbohydrate, which is structurally very similar to cellulose. For the same reasons cellulase may help remove undigested fiber in the colon, it has been used in breaking down this cellulose-like chitin. The inside of the cell of yeast is mostly protein . The enzyme protease has the ability to hydrolyze (digest) protein. Protease has been used in clinics all over the world to break down this fungus and prevent its overgrowth. The addition of protease to this formula helps the body deal with excess "die-off" or common symptoms of cleansing.