Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnJay

How I got rid of blackheads on nose

I did a 5 day water fast in order to heal my digestive system. I noticed on the fourth day that although my face was a little bit oiler than normal around my nose and under my eyes, the blackheads in the area were clearing. The fast also brough some impurities under my skin to hte surface in the process. I have now been off the fast for only 2 days and they seem to still be going away.

My belief is that by allowing my body to rest and detox I was able to eliminate a great deal of toxins though my skin. Now I am NOT saying this is a cure. I am just saying that this is a start to eliminating blackheads. Ultimately, you need to make lifestyle changes to keep your skin looking good. My acne is a result of poor digestion and liver function or at least that is my belief. I am almost 23 so I now so I realize that it is no longer hormones although your liver could throw off your hormones. If you are older than 20 and have mild/moderate acne and antibiotics and topicals aren't cutting it anymore, take a more holistic approach and find out what it is that is causing your acne.

Interesting.. but unless it purges all the blackheads and unless your skin stays clear of them for atleast a month... this is not worth it. No one would want to keep doing this method as a regular regimen..

but... what if during the time your skin is clear of them, you find a way to strengthen it slowly.. so that one day it will just take care of itself. hmm

Interesting. Clinical studies have shown that longterm calorie restriction can dramatically decrease sebum production. Blackheads have nothing to do with having toxins in your liver. It has to do with a lack of keratinocyte flow in within the follicle caused by certain deficiencies and imbalances with various enzymes and other agents that normally prevent the cells that shed off from the pore wall from sticking together with the excreted sebum. When you inhibit sebum production, you simply lessen the load of stuff flowing out of your pores. It's more complicated than that, but in short, I would argue that blackheads have nothing to do with toxicity in the liver, but rather a dysfunction in the sebaceous mechanisms of the pore. I know plenty of unhealthy, "toxic" people with great skin.

Regardless, this is very interesting. I wish you luck with continued progress! Keep us up to date!!

Good info Hope. However, I said that my face was getting more oily the further I went on with the fast. Although blackheads may have nothing to do directly with your liver, would it be fair to say that if one's liver is not fully functioning that it could lead to certain deficiencies and imbalances that could lead acne and blackheads. Now that I have ended my fast and have been eating healthy foods(no processed, sugar, gluten) in order to get my digestion back to normal, my oil production is slowly decreasing and I haven't had any new breakouts. Its still wayyy to early to tell what the end result will be in all of this, but I am confident that once I get my digestion back to normal that my skin will clear up.

And yes, a water fast is just drinking water for 5 days with nothing else. Let me just say that I am not a very spiritual person. As a result of years of antibioitics, I have had some health problems. I started on a nutritional regimen in mid-january to get my digestion back to normal and after a month and a half I was not seeing the results I expected. So, I figured I would try a 5 day fast to speed the healing process. My stomach has felt good following the fast so at the moment I am hopeful. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

I was just wondering how do you know if your liver could be causing your acne. I have suspected that my liver could be causing my acne but i dont know how to really know. Also how much water did you drink a day on your fast? Thanks.

I was on antibiotics for 8 years and my acne was changing. I started breaking out in places that I almost never break out in. I also had some problems with my thyroid on and off and I would get sick quite during the winter. I think that a combination of the antibiotics depleting my good bacteria in my gut and the unhealthy college lifestyle I was living was having an effect on my health. So in January I threw out the antibiotics because I knew that they were making my health worse. I've been eating a healthy balanced diet, supplementing with probiotics, a good multivitamin, and glutamine to help heal my intestinal walls from the antibiotics.

I'm not a doctor so I cannot say for sure what is causing my adult acne. But I can tell you that since implementing this new lifestyle, my health is starting to come back. I think that I developed allergies to certain foods because my gut was in such bad shape. But since cutting out certain foods and allowing myself to heal I'm sure that I'll be able to get back to a more normal lifestyle soon and not have to worry about what I eat. Its all about patience.

When you say you had blackheads, are you saying you had traditional open pores filled with sebum/skin-cell clogs?

Also, how widespread were they? Were they numerous, like as in the hundreds, or just a few.

Thanks!!

Z

I'm actually starting a water fast tomorrow so I'll give you feedback on how my pores react it. I'm going for 21 days, let's see what happens.

I'll post every few days.

I'm actually starting a water fast tomorrow so I'll give you feedback on how my pores react it. I'm going for 21 days, let's see what happens.

You're not going to eat anything for 21 days? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding something here...

You're not going to eat anything for 21 days? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding something here...

Yes! Nothing but 2 liters of water a day.

Yes! Nothing but 2 liters of water a day.

I don't think that would be very good for you at all... even as an experiment. :\

lol @ the person who thinks they are going to drink water only for 21 days...

dream on.

I'm guessing that those who have done this water fast, are only drinking water and not eating anything. Because I drink nothing but water. For 8 years, no soda or alcohol. Just water.

So its probably not the water, but the absence of food. Maybe.

lol @ the person who thinks they are going to drink water only for 21 days...

dream on.

Lots of people go on fasts for as much as a month or more at a time. It's one of the healthiest things you can do for your body because it causes the body to purge itself and cleanse out the toxins and impurities that may of been inside of you for years. It gives your digestive system and intestinal track a chance to heal itself by you not putting any more foods into it that it's most likely had a food allergy to.

I would try something like a lemon cleanse though instead of just water only. It should do a lot more to cleanse you out since lemons are great for detoxifying the body. There is a regimen called the master cleanse which is popular and consists of a daily drink made of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water.

On top of that you will also need to do a salt water flush where you drink water and sea salt once a day because your not getting any fiber in your diet to have a bowel movement and you need to eliminate everything that's being cleansed out of you.

I was reading about it the other day and plan to try it for 10 days or more next month.

http://themastercleanse.org/

Most people should have no problem doing only a 10 day fast so I would advise everyone that feels they're able to to try some kind of fast of this nature at least once to see if it benefits them. You really have nothing to lose and fasting is something that is natural to the body's processes.

Water fasting is totally stupid AND dangerous for your body...and to the member going without food for 21 days is just mad....you will really suffer, and get sick at the same time....

The people who go on these 2, 3 even month long fasts usually reached that sequentially, they didn't just jump into it.

It might be spiritual, but it's not really physically healthy. You're expecting your body to do its job, by detoxification and healing, without giving it the proper fuel or nourishment. Sounds like it would mess up your digestive system, metabolism, muscles etc

Let me post my opinion on the matter. Yes, a fast is extremely detoxifing, it clears the system and as a result the skin like no other method in such a short duration. However, first off, fasting is not a long term method for clear skin. It's a way of wiping the slate clean so to speak; but afterwards you're going to have to give your body the nutrition it so badly needs. A fast followed by an lifestyle over-haul is the best way, with a diet which is high nutrient centred - particularly since you've deprived yourself for a period of time. Going back to your old ways after a fast will simply get you back to square one - and a dangerous cycle can be initiated.

Take it from me, I've been down that road; don't even think about going there yourself.

**A MUST READ**

If you do attempt a fast, then do some research first! In my opinion any longer than a week is overkill. Secondly; if at any point you feel extremeley faint or have your vision blurred or maybe even both, then this is a sign that your blood sugar is dangerously low. Eat an apple and have some honey, this will re-address the balance. Both will pass through your system quickly and not set you back for long. Failure to do this can lead to unconsciousness, so don't even think of doing nothing.

You're going to lose on average a pound a day on a water only fast; more if your body is retaining a significant amount of water. From about day 2 onwards, you'll be utilising your body's fat stores as fuel, as opposed to muscle (a process called protein sparing) however prolonged fasting will eventually mean your body has no other choice. Which nicely brings me back to my first point that any more than a week is over-kill.

Again, I've gotta stress, do some research before you dive into this. For those still interested in doing it, here's a good article on the issue from a physician I personally fully trust:

http://drbenkim.com/fasting.html

And one final thing: Please be careful - this isn't something to be taken lightly.

glad to hear your good news. fasting is incredibly great for your body. are you clear now for good or do you think you will have to fast constantly to maintain the effictiveness of the fast. If so, how often do you think you should fast?