Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been hearing really good things about Cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser, but I'd like to hear from people who actually use it. I'm considering Accutane, so I am in the market for a good skin care regimen.

Thoughts?

I think it is a personal preference. I personally find cetaphil moisturizer to be too gooey but I love their cleanser. I swear by it. It's great for sensitive skin. Eucerin face lotion for sensitive skin works for accutane pretty well. I used it for my first course, and for my second I think I will use that with jojoba oil to really keep the flakiness away.

I love cetaphil :wub: great stuff I think. Here's what I use...

wash once in the moring once at night.

SPF 15 lotion in the morning

moisturizing cream at night

Thanks for the input ladies! I am going to head out this evening to grab the cleanser at least. Right now I use the Clinique Acne bar and it's okay. Will consider the moisturizer, especially if it has SPF in it.

I think it all depends...I tried using the cetephil cleanser when my acne started to really act up. I wanted to give my skin a break from all the harsh medicated products I had been using. After a week I started to get cystic bumps under hte skin. That sucked! So I switched to Purpose Gentle Face wash and it has been absolutely wonderful. As for the moisturizer, I have been prescribed Retin A so I needed a mild moisturizer so I bought the cetephil lotion for night and cetephil face moisturizer with SPF 15 for daytime. Seriously, by the end of the day my face is literally an oil slick. It has always been a bit oily in the tzone are but never on my cheeks. With this my ENTIRE face gets sooooo oily that I am actually aware of the feeling of oil all over my face. Now, I don't know if this is the moisturizer or if it is due to the retin A biut from what people tell me Retin A is supposed to DRY out your skin. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my ex[perience with you :)

Just wanted to give you some info about the Clinique soap you said you're using.....

Using any type of "bar" soap is bad for acne-prone skin. All bar soaps contain ingredients (those that help the soap keep it's solid-bar shape) that are comedogenic. You would be much better off using a liquid soap cleanser. Cetaphil is a good no-frills, no-fragnance cleanser that is mild to sensitive skin, however it doesn't do a good job getting your makeup off! I am using Olay Sensitive Skin liquid cleanser that really does a good job washing everything away, including eye makup. It's also pretty cheap! Good luck to you!

xLKphotox: Thanks for your experience! I've only been using the Cetaphil gentle cleanser for a few days, and so far my skin is clearing up a little, probably due to the lack of irritation. My skin is a lot less oily, which is nice, but I'm not keeping high hopes as things usually work quickly for me and then stop working. I've heard about Purpose, maybe I'll look into it!

soon2bnurse: Thanks for the info about Clinique. Out of everything I've ever used, both the pump form and the bar have been the least taxing on my skin. It definitely gets the makeup off, which Cetaphil does not! I like the way Cetaphil cleanses, but I have to use the bar first to get my makeup off. In the morning it doesn't matter since there is no makeup to take off.

So you've had some brief success with using Cetaphil gentle cleanser? Good to hear. I've been using this for over two years and it has never irritated my skin, except in the beginning (noticed it dried out my skin for the first few days). I've never had any problems with Cetaphil moisturizer either.

I think it is a personal preference. I personally find cetaphil moisturizer to be too gooey but I love their cleanser. I swear by it. It's great for sensitive skin. Eucerin face lotion for sensitive skin works for accutane pretty well. I used it for my first course, and for my second I think I will use that with jojoba oil to really keep the flakiness away.

Isnt eucerin oilbased not waterbased?

I used Cetaphil and I hate it. It leaves a white film on my face and gives me red bumps all over my face. My dad has the same reaction

I think it's safe to say that cetaphil is quite a mild cleanser and should not make your acne worse. I personally like the moisturizer, you just adjust the amount you use depending how dry your skin is during different times of year. I wouldn't say it gets rid of acne by itself, atleast not with moderate/stubborn cases, for those who are wondering.

Cetaphil moisturizer makes me break out for some reason. But it seems to work well for most people so you can try it. The only products that have worked for me have been Cerave-I would highly recommend their products.

I'm going to pick up the Purpose Facial Cleanser since it sounds pretty amazing. I just got prescribed Accutane, so I'm searching for moisturizers. In addition to one during the day, I need to find a thick one for nighttime, but I'm still debating on which one I will look into.

Purpose Facial Cleanser has the same ingredients as Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Sensitive and Johnson's baby head to toe baby wash; they are all made by the same company; the last one is the cheapest from the three cleansers.

I just saw this post - I tried Cetaphil cleanser after hearing a lot of people rave about it. After a week of use - it made me break out horribly. Not cystic, but small pimples everywhere. I think it was TOO gentle for my skin. Some people have also complained about Cetaphil making water "bead up" on their skin? It did that for me, too. Not sure if it's residue or what - but I had to stop using it. It's great for other parts of the body - but my face needed something more drying.

The Cetaphil lotion - I've actually used on my face - and not broken out. It's thick - and it tends to "show up" over other acne products (like I used Dan's BP) and it will show white where you put it.

I've also tried Purpose liquid face wash - and that was a huge mistake (at least for me.) I thought it was the "same" as Cetaphil - it isn't. It varies from person to person. I didn't get hives from Cetaphil but I got immediate hives from Purpose. Purpose has Quantum-15 in it - which some people claim can make them break out. For me - I think it was the "Fragrance" in it. Not sure - but for my face - it definitely wasn't the same as Cetaphil.

I ended up going back to using Dan's face wash - and it's cleared me up completely :) But I really think it's a "trial and error." For me to figure out what worked for MY face - I had to give each product a try. Everyone's skin is different. Some people love Purpose - but I can't touch it. If you have the courage - buy one of each - and try it. I did that. I even bought OXY Maxiumum wash (to see if a medicated wash would work, versus a gentle one) and the OXY took 4 weeks to start making me break out (or for the strength/agitation to finally get to me.) But it was trial and error. I did Cetaphil wash for a week - and kept a log on my computer. The comparison photos helped me see that I was slowly getting worse. Purpose - that was instant allergic. Trying all of them was hard - but it was the only way I could know, you know?

All depends on your skin :)

GOOD LUCK! :)

Cetaphil is wonderful. I use it in my regimen now, and have in many many previous regimens. some people argue that it doesn't get the job done fast enough (because it has no Benzoyl, or other harsh chemicles) but what they gotta understand is the cleanser should only be step 1 in a routine! Cetaphil works great for me, it cleans the skin, smells very lite, and even leaves my skin feeling nice. I don't know about the moisturizer, but def. give the cleanser a try.

Cetaphil is wonderful. I use it in my regimen now, and have in many many previous regimens. some people argue that it doesn't get the job done fast enough (because it has no Benzoyl, or other harsh chemicles) but what they gotta understand is the cleanser should only be step 1 in a routine! Cetaphil works great for me, it cleans the skin, smells very lite, and even leaves my skin feeling nice. I don't know about the moisturizer, but def. give the cleanser a try.

I also like the Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizing lotion with SPF 15.

If I stray from using Cetaphil or Purpose cleansers (even bar form is fine for me), I WILL break out. They wash off my makeup just fine, but I do use a baby's hair brush, too.

Can someone explain the "babies hairbrush" thing to me? What is it? Until today I have never even heard of such a thing . . . but I have read it like 3 times tonight! What do you use it for? Does it help?

I used the Walmart knockoff version of Cetaphil Cleanser when I had clear skin on minocycline...it worked really well.

Hasn't worked for me since antibiotics, though. :( It's too gentle - doesn't get off heavy makeup - and too lotiony - leaves my oily face feeling clogged.

Cetaphil lotion is kind of heavy, and I haven't used it much. I like Dan's Moisturizer better, it's light while still being moisturizing enough.

If I stray from using Cetaphil or Purpose cleansers (even bar form is fine for me), I WILL break out. They wash off my makeup just fine, but I do use a baby's hair brush, too.

For me, Cetaphil could not wash off my makeup after even three times of washing. It's been a while since I've used it, so I can't remember if it broke me out, but I do love Purpose. Also, I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion all over except for my face-it's irritating there.

been using Cetaphill gentle skin cleanser for the past 4 months, does the job for me, i use it without the water and use it as a shaving cream as well, i orded Dan's BP a week ago, so when i get that i will also buy Cetaphill's moisturizer and use them 3 in a regimen, hopefully it works out well.

been using Cetaphill gentle skin cleanser for the past 4 months, does the job for me, i use it without the water and use it as a shaving cream as well, i orded Dan's BP a week ago, so when i get that i will also buy Cetaphill's moisturizer and use them 3 in a regimen, hopefully it works out well.

It's great that it's been working for you. It does for some and not for others apparently. I like the moisturizer on my body but it irritates my face. Good luck with the regimen!

Yay to another purpose gentle cleanser user! I think it's nice how it lathers nicely in your palms and then you can massage it to your face to wash off the make-up.

I'm a cetaphil all skin type lotion user, since I used to have dry patches near the corners of my mouth and the sides of my face and it was the only thing that did was it does. Other than cetaphil I used Olay.