Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
makemebetter

I think I want to take Accutane

So lately i've been considering accutane more and more, and i think i'm going to seriously talk to my derm about it at my next appointment which is in about 2 weeks. i'm 17 and have had moderate cystic acne for over 2 years now. just lately it seems to have been a LITTLE better, but i have a lot of red marks all over my face. i want to take accutane because i feel like i'll most likely continue getting cysts. i also have really oily skin but often times i get really dry spots that are incredibly hard for me to moisturize. SO, my questions are:

1) how bad does the dry skin get? if any of you are in high school and have taken or are taking accutane, did you have to walk around with dry, peeling or flaking skin?

2) how much does it cost?

3) can you eat pretty much whatever you want while on it and not get breakouts? (i already eat pretty healthy anyways, but i'm just wondering)

4) if i were to start taking it mid-april, when should i expect the purging period or big breakout? is it often a bad one?

5) this is kinda rediculous... i know i would have to get blood tests, but i've never had to do any of those and i'm nervous about shots so what's that like?! is it like an IV shot? :(

6) and lastly, i'd just really like to know how you feel about the drug. are you 100% happy you took it? did it take that long to clear you up? would you recommend it?

thank you so much for your time and help! i'm eager to hear your answers :)

1. The dry skin gets pretty bad, to the point of peeling. My whole face and back were peeling off in large amounts for the first two months. It got a little better because I found a fantastic moisturizer. You don't have to walk around with it if you take care of your skin. I find on accutane if I was my face twice a day I get more dry skin. Just moisturize frequently and it shouldn't be THAT bad. Lips are way worse. ALWAYS ALWAYS cary chap stick with you!

2. That is something that depends on insurance. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield in the Washington DC area and am on the PPO preferred list. It's my dad's insurance, and I go to the derm for free and accutane generic brand (Amnesteem) costs 30 bucks. So that's all I will have to pay for. My blood work costs 9 bucks which is easy to do. I was on Anthem insurance under my mother for my first course. Derm visits cost 20 bucks, Amnesteem cost 50 bucks, and blood work cost 45 bucks. So as you can see, the insurance plays a big part of it. I can tell you that generic brands cost less than actual brand name Accutane.

3. Yup. Pig out! It's actually better to eat fatty meals on accutane when you are taking the pills. The accutane absorbs in the body better.

4. That varies. Most people experience an initial break out sometime in the first month. The severity of it and how long it lasts varies for everyone. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It's a scary thought, but one last break out in comparison to a million more is much easier to think about.

5. I have had three surgeries, and it is nothing compared to to IV. You won't even feel it. Stubbing your toe or biting your tongue hurts ten times more than getting blood work done.

6. Yes I loved it!!! I was 100 percent clear within 5 weeks on the drug. It was wonderful. I had moderate acne myself. I am going for a second course because I had to switch birth controls when my insurance changed, and it really messed with my hormones and brought my acne back. But it is really mild. I am going on the drug again because I did SO well on it before. Hardly any side effects.

So lately i've been considering accutane more and more, and i think i'm going to seriously talk to my derm about it at my next appointment which is in about 2 weeks. i'm 17 and have had moderate cystic acne for over 2 years now. just lately it seems to have been a LITTLE better, but i have a lot of red marks all over my face. i want to take accutane because i feel like i'll most likely continue getting cysts. i also have really oily skin but often times i get really dry spots that are incredibly hard for me to moisturize. SO, my questions are:

1) how bad does the dry skin get? if any of you are in high school and have taken or are taking accutane, did you have to walk around with dry, peeling or flaking skin?

2) how much does it cost?

3) can you eat pretty much whatever you want while on it and not get breakouts? (i already eat pretty healthy anyways, but i'm just wondering)

4) if i were to start taking it mid-april, when should i expect the purging period or big breakout? is it often a bad one?

5) this is kinda rediculous... i know i would have to get blood tests, but i've never had to do any of those and i'm nervous about shots so what's that like?! is it like an IV shot? :(

6) and lastly, i'd just really like to know how you feel about the drug. are you 100% happy you took it? did it take that long to clear you up? would you recommend it?

thank you so much for your time and help! i'm eager to hear your answers :)

1.) Yes and YES!! Moisturizing is the key here and I didn't do it much but I learned to do it VERY soon. I went to school with flaky, peeling skin, and it was gross. Especially my lips, as I did not have any Aquaphor and the chap stick I had sucked. I was embarrassed.

2.) Depends on your insurance, but I think mine costs about 5-10$ ... the insurance pays for the rest.

3.) It is actually better to eat fatty foods, anyways. Especially when taking your pills whenever you take them... if you're not eating a good meal or not eating at all when taking them, it won't be properly digested. If you can't take a fatty meal at the time, at least eat something with it at the least - or drink fatty milk.

4.) It's different for everyone.

5.) Honestly, I was freaking out when I had to get my bloodwork done the first time. The nurse was very nice and told me not to tense up (make sure to relax, otherwise it COULD be painful if you're tense!) ... it's just a pinch and barely takes no time at all. If you don't like blood, then look away when you're getting it done. Then they'll pull it out, which could feel like a pulling or a pinching feeling.

6.) Yes, I would recommend it to anyone who has MODERATE to SEVERE acne, especially persistant acne that will NOT go away with any other treatments (topicals, etc). Accutane should not be taken likely because there are serious un-fun side effects. I am 100% happy I am finally on the drug, and am in the third month. However, I cannot say I am satisfied from the course yet, because I have not finished. In a few months I will be able to tell if it was worth it.

Edited to add: I didn't mean to say likely ... meant to say lightly!!!

thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my questions! i really appreciate it. you've made it a lot easier to decide if i should do it or not. the only question i still have now is how different the generic brands work from actual Accutane? is there even a difference? could it be less effective?

thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my questions! i really appreciate it. you've made it a lot easier to decide if i should do it or not. the only question i still have now is how different the generic brands work from actual Accutane? is there even a difference? could it be less effective?

I had the same worry when I wasn't put on the exact brand of Accutane. My dermatologist assured me it was all the same and they worked just as the same as the Accutane. The only difference is that the one named Accutane is WAAAY more expensive because it's not generic.

As far as the initial outbreak goes, it varies for everyone - like others have already mentioned. But you have to keep in mind that even if you have a bad one, it'll likely only last a couple of weeks or so and it'll likely be your last bad breakout for quite some time - and even possibly forever. So if you get one, it suck at the moment, but could be totally worth it in the long run.

And as far as bloodwork goes - its a walk in the park. Everyone varies how they handle needles. Some people are more comfortable actually watching it happen, and some, like me, simply turn their head. I just got blood done 2 days ago and just like the other times, it literally takes seconds. It's nothing more than a tiny pinch when the needle first goes in - that's honestly all you'll feel. Nothing to be worried about there.