Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emilion

Dermaroller + acne medication?

Hello,

I have recently been to a dermatologist that prescribed Duac (5% bp 1% Clindamycin) and Skinoren (same as Finacea, with azelaic acid) for my mild acne. I mostly have blackheads and some zits.

The derm prescribed these two medications, so that I could test and see which one that irritates my skin the least. I am very sensitive to BP, so if it doesn't work well with Duac, I will use Skinoren instead.

I have bought a dermaroller 1.5 mm from Nova Clinic in order to threat mild acne-scars and enlarged pores.

I'm not sure if I should use the roller at the same time when on treatment with these acne-gels. I was thinking that maybe it's possible to do it, if interrupt the use of the medication 1-2 days before my roller-treatment (and 1-2 days after), so that my skin doesn't get to irritated from the multiple treatments.

I was also thinking of using Vit C on my skin several times a day, 1-2 days after I have used the dermaroller.

My idea is to use the roller every third or fourth week.

So what is your experience and knowledge about combining these treatments?

Hello,

I have recently been to a dermatologist that prescribed Duac (5% bp 1% Clindamycin) and Skinoren (same as Finacea, with azelaic acid) for my mild acne. I mostly have blackheads and some zits.

The derm prescribed these two medications, so that I could test and see which one that irritates my skin the least. I am very sensitive to BP, so if it doesn't work well with Duac, I will use Skinoren instead.

I have bought a dermaroller 1.5 mm from Nova Clinic in order to threat mild acne-scars and enlarged pores.

I'm not sure if I should use the roller at the same time when on treatment with these acne-gels. I was thinking that maybe it's possible to do it, if interrupt the use of the medication 1-2 days before my roller-treatment (and 1-2 days after), so that my skin doesn't get to irritated from the multiple treatments.

I was also thinking of using Vit C on my skin several times a day, 1-2 days after I have used the dermaroller.

I wouldn't use a dermaroller if you still have active acne.

Hello,

Emilion, you can't use dermarolling while you are still treating active breakouts. You run the risk of creating far more/worse scarring than you would have had otherwise. Dermarolling is for those who have acne fully under control or have outgrown it.

Put your focus on staying clear. Help your current meds work better through diet changes, adding exercise to your lifestyle and avoiding anything that has been known to trigger outbreaks.

Be patient and good luck!

Blue/red home light therapy for your current acne is also a very good option. Once the acne is under control with the lights you can stop all topicals and then start dermarolling. This way you get the accelerated healing benefits from the red light, whilst keeping your acne clear with the blue light.

Read the laser/light section on this forum.

What if I roll on the places where I don't have any pustules? My acne is very very mild.

Is it dangerous to roll on skin with just blackheads?

And what about rolling on red marks left by acne?

Hello,

What if I roll on the places where I don't have any pustules? My acne is very very mild.

Is it dangerous to roll on skin with just blackheads?

And what about rolling on red marks left by acne?

Hello,

Rolling red marks is safe, and will help them heal faster. I'm not so sure about rolling on blackheads but I would avoid it. From my experience the dermaroller has greatly reduced my scarring (including keloid scars, and icepicks), I am very impressed. I am using the baby quasar pure silk after rolling sessions which is a combination of copper peptides and hylauronic acid which aids the skin in healing and helps create a safe enviorment for new cell growth. I also occasionally use the baby quasar along side to help promote healing. I do still have a few spots with acne but I don't roll those areas. GOOD LUCK to whoever is trying this, I hope it works just as good for you as it has for me.

i have very mild active acne(occasional spots mainly blackheads) and i dermaroll with a 1.5mm roller, i really dont have any problems with it at all but then again i dont roll over any infections..

edit- i use retinA for my acne treatment so i do use it after rolling

Edited by trampoline