Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emeny

Accutane by Emeny

Day 1

I just popped the first pill.

I stared at it for about 5 minutes before I decided I had enough guts to take it. At that moment, I saw the similarities between the lovely 30 mg of Sotret sitting before me and an orange peanut M&M. That's when I decided it would be okay. I love snacks. Of course, not being able to chew it does cut down on the enjoyability aspect, but nonetheless, I did manage to convince myself to ingest it. I keep checking the mirror to see if I have magically morphed into someone/thing other than myself. So far, nothing spectacular has happened. Might be because I just took it 30 minutes ago.

Alright, so who am I? I am a 22 year old female graduate student. I'm taking 60 mg of Sotret daily starting today, and my weight is 123 lbs. My acne is severe, I guess. Cysts and the like, although I don't think I've ever had a nodule.

Once something happens, I'll let you know.

Until then,

E

Ha I love the M&M analogy thats one way to get them down! Good luck on the course, I've been taking accutane for 2 months but was increased to 60mg today so I guess we're in the same boat. Clear skin here we come :dance:

Day 1

I just popped the first pill.

I stared at it for about 5 minutes before I decided I had enough guts to take it. At that moment, I saw the similarities between the lovely 30 mg of Sotret sitting before me and an orange peanut M&M. That's when I decided it would be okay. I love snacks. Of course, not being able to chew it does cut down on the enjoyability aspect, but nonetheless, I did manage to convince myself to ingest it. I keep checking the mirror to see if I have magically morphed into someone/thing other than myself. So far, nothing spectacular has happened. Might be because I just took it 30 minutes ago.

Alright, so who am I? I am a 22 year old female graduate student. I'm taking 60 mg of Sotret daily starting today, and my weight is 123 lbs. My acne is severe, I guess. Cysts and the like, although I don't think I've ever had a nodule.

Once something happens, I'll let you know.

Until then,

E

Actually, a nodule is a cyst, just a different name. The college age was the time for my acne to be at its peak too. I didn't go to college, however, until the late eighty's. If it is deep, and swollen and firm to the touch (not to touch it more than once though), then it is a nodule. It will take about a week or more to fade. Sometimes they hang there and do nothing, bouncing from better to worse and back again, and then they could go either way... sometimes taking a month to go down. Most of the time, nodules are so deep that they have no head forming on them. The pore is closed around the plug and infection. Sometimes the nodule will be a cluster of two or three, those can get multiple white caps... I am sure you are aware...

But being on accutane is an uneasy experience. When I was taking it, it was 1985... my second round, it was still new and they didn't seem to have as many cases going bad. They also used a standard dose in about three or four variable sizes. Now, they go my your weight. yep... had to get the blood check monthly... No vitamin--A... or anything containing straight vitamin-A.. Best not to drink or take supplements. My son, who is now 20, had accutane once.. He had slow progress. He was disappointed in it because he did not get perfectly clear; I had only gotten a short IB, then I was perfectly clear. But my son stayed breaking out, although less, but it did not stop altogether for him until he was done with the course. He only got a little dried out..No other side effects. Since he is my biological son, I was mystified that he didn't have the same reaction and effects... Now he seems to get some on occasions, but they are small and heal fast.... Much better...... Thanks for letting me Ramble On.... Hey... I got to go learn that one.... That's a Led Zeppelin Tune...

Day 2

Alright, jimmyjammy, I'll keep myself updated on your log and I'll do my best to document all the most interesting bits about my experience here.

Thanks, Kimoko! I would have bought all the Aquaphor they owned if I could carry it. I'm ready as far as products go. And research. I feel like I've been studying for some big exam since December.

Oh man, Snugs. I was a little proud of the fact that there was at least ONE type of acne I didn't have. As if I was selective and only chose the best. Cysts only, please! Now I just look a fool. Well, I guess I've had it all. After your description of a nodule, I have indeed had them. Which leads me into the fact that...

There are a few things I think I should mention that I haven't already.

#1 - I had trouble locating the drug in 30 mg capsules, so I didn't actually get the prescription filled until yesterday afternoon and decided that shoving in two doses was not smart. Therefore, I just took 30 mg's yesterday. Today will be my first day of 60 mg, but I'm still counting yesterday as Day 1 because otherwise it would have to be Day 0.5 and things would start getting confusing.

#2 - I forgot to update you on the current condition of my face. I've been on Bactrim for the past month or so, so I have no actives currently. Well...I have a dying cyst (nasty little guy that falls under the description of definite nodule as defined by Snugs) along my left jawline and one lump underneath the skin by the corner of my mouth that has been lingering around for months but does nothing. It isn't even red, and it doesn't hurt. Obviously, it is lying dormant and planning its attack.

#3 - I will probably not write everyday. If nothing happens, and I'm the same for 3 days in a row, I'll just lump all those days together. Of course, all the important haps will be promptly documented, I promise. I'm an accountant; I love documentation.

As for a real update, I look exactly the same as when I started. I'm not dry or anything, but again, I do believe that has to do with it being Day 2 and the fact that I just had 30 mg's yesterday. The only thing I noticed after taking the first pill was that I felt pretty tired. I was eyeing up the bed at 8:30 PM last night. Other than that, life as usual.

Am currently entertained by things like this:

http://www.break.com/index/sleeping-dog-runs-into-wall.html

Day 2

Alright, jimmyjammy, I'll keep myself updated on your log and I'll do my best to document all the most interesting bits about my experience here.

Thanks, Kimoko! I would have bought all the Aquaphor they owned if I could carry it. I'm ready as far as products go. And research. I feel like I've been studying for some big exam since December.

Oh man, Snugs. I was a little proud of the fact that there was at least ONE type of acne I didn't have. As if I was selective and only chose the best. Cysts only, please! Now I just look a fool. Well, I guess I've had it all. After your description of a nodule, I have indeed had them. Which leads me into the fact that...

#1 - I had trouble locating the drug in 30 mg capsules, so I didn't actually get the prescription filled until yesterday afternoon and decided that shoving in two doses was not smart. Therefore, I just took 30 mg's yesterday. Today will be my first day of 60 mg, but I'm still counting yesterday as Day 1 because otherwise it would have to be Day 0.5 and things would start getting confusing.

#2 - I forgot to update you on the current condition of my face. I've been on Bactrim for the past month or so, so I have no actives currently. Well...I have a dying cyst (nasty little guy) along my left jawline and one lump underneath the skin by the corner of my mouth that has been lingering around for months but does nothing. It isn't even red, and it doesn't hurt. Obviously, it is lying dormant and planning its attack.

#3 - I will probably not write everyday. If nothing happens, and I'm the same for 3 days in a row, I'll just lump all those days together. Of course, all the important haps will be promptly documented, I promise. I'm an accountant; I love documentation.

As for a real update, I look exactly the same as when I started. I'm not dry or anything, but again, I do believe that has to do with it being Day 2 and the fact that I just had 20 mg's yesterday. The only thing I noticed after taking the first pill was that I felt pretty tired. I was eyeing up the bed at 8:30 PM last night. Other than that, life as usual.

You should post pictures for your progess as something for other people to look on in the future (for encouragement) or for you to see how far you've gone. Keep truckin'! ;)

Day 3

Pictures, Kimoko? Have you not checked out my nice profile picture? Heyyy, Einstein! :drool: Okay, so I have not quite warmed up to posting my actual photos on the internet. Am I afraid that someone I know will see them and know I have acne? Can't be that because, unless they're blind, they're already aware. Am I afraid of you guys seeing my acne? Nope. You have it too. Once I figure out what my deal is and deal with it, perhaps pictures will get posted. They would be an excellent form of the documentation to which I am so fond.

Alright, so not much is going on, but this is what I know:

#1 - The area around my nasty little guy cyst is getting pretty dry. I believe this is because the area was receiving a healthy dose of Differin and Duac prior to Accutane. That said, other parts of my face have a slightly rough feel to them, I am noticing. I am slightly bummed to be going straight from oil ball to dry as popcorn fart. I thought there would be a nice in between period I could enjoy wherein I appeared to have normal skin. Ah well, this is fine. Whatever it takes to get it gone.

#2 - Experienced a nice headache for about 4 hours yesterday. I drank an entire lake's worth of water, but apparently that was not enough. Today's goal is an ocean. As much of a job as it is to ingest gallons of water, we must remember that what goes in must come out. The water alone is a full-time job.

#3 - I look the same. I developed this theory that this is because my body is able to combat all the side effects right now, and this is why I'm sleepy. But once my body surrenders, we will get to see some action. Also, perhaps the Bactrim is still in my system. I am basically just making up theories to explain things that have already happened. I have done enough research to know that Accutane is not this kind.

Hmmm....I do believe that's it. Today is a BEAUTIFUL day. I think I will go enjoy it. But I will leave you with a video made by a great, little known musician named Julia Nunes. She plays the ukelele, writes her own songs, once opened for Ben Folds, and is guaranteed to make you laugh. Check her out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8cGEKzSwI...re=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xby9d4XtXM...feature=channel

Okay, so add this to the list. I just discovered a rash on my right wrist. It's not particularly tiny, either. I'm going to put some eczema cream on it and see if that helps.

Day 2

#2 - I forgot to update you on the current condition of my face. I've been on Bactrim for the past month or so, so I have no actives currently. Well...I have a dying cyst (nasty little guy that falls under the description of definite nodule as defined by Snugs) along my left jawline and one lump underneath the skin by the corner of my mouth that has been lingering around for months but does nothing. It isn't even red, and it doesn't hurt. Obviously, it is lying dormant and planning its attack.

As for a real update, I look exactly the same as when I started. I'm not dry or anything, but again, I do believe that has to do with it being Day 2 and the fact that I just had 30 mg's yesterday. The only thing I noticed after taking the first pill was that I felt pretty tired. I was eyeing up the bed at 8:30 PM last night. Other than that, life as usual.

Yes, sorry, I did not intend on making you seem foolish. I learned about what kind was what with acne from reading and talking with my dermatologist. Seems he has been a part of my life for the last 23 years. And I had two other derms before him.

Now you probably will not notice any changes for five days to a little more than a week. You might get an IB. I did on my second course, but not on the first. It lasted about a week and then I stopped getting new ones and the old ones healed fast. It was remarkable. My first accutane went more like this:

By about the fourth or fifth day I seemed to stop getting any new ones, and by two weeks, I was clear with only small pink spots. I get tanned easily, so I can't see the red marks like fair skinned folks do. So many people that go on accutane, as I read these logs on here, are getting worse for a while before getting better. I had a theory that the less oiliness you have (that is, the more normal and balanced your skin is) to start, the harder accutane is on you. NOt all of the people putting logs out remark on the type of acne or skin they have.

Those nodules are deep and is an infection in the sebaceous gland, so they get firm and form a sac around the gland ---cyst. That is what I have read and understood. I could be wrong.

Now, that is the worst acne to have. What I have given the name "Pin-prick-acne" is just what pin pricks look like: tiny red dots with a small area upraised. If you got to make a choice, that is the best kind of acne to have. I am not trying to be funny, and not to belittle anyone or minimize the effect that any acne has, but i would have been thankful to have pin-prick type acne over cystic. Also, most know the most dreaded thing--- to have to live with the permanent effects after the breakouts subside. Sounds like you have the benefit of pre-clear skin before accutane. So I wish you well in the treatment process. Oh, that strange colorless lump should be watched. I hope it isn't anything bad...

I like that picture of Einstein; he is a favorite of mine... read some biographies of his..

Snugs

Beat me by 3 days! I'll keep a eye on your log, maybe it will warn me before something happens :P

That video of the dog running into the wall was hilarious!! It's absolutely necessary to have a sense of humor while on the tane. The rash you've experienced on your arm will be an ongoing battle, so just moisturize well to minimize the severity. Good luck with your course!

Day 4

Alright, dudes. I know I said I wouldn't update unless something happened, but I think I lied. I feel like I'm in one of those scary thriller movies, and I'm waiting for my killer to show up in the mirror behind me, holding a big weapon. I know it's going to happen, so I am left waiting in suspense.

#1 - I'm oily again, so my face remains unchanged.

#2 - No more headaches. Also not extremely tired anymore. I don't think. :think:

#3 - Lingering wrist rash. It isn't very cute, but if that is the worst side effect I experience, I won't complain. I can deal as long as the rash isn't a plea from my liver or other organs for mercy. I can take a rash, but I shouldn't speak for my organs. My joints are still fabulous, hair is still attached to my head, I remember my own name, life is good.

#4 - I am taking fish oil for joints as a precaution. That's the only supplement I'm taking at the moment. Saw a commercial for Krill oil which is supposed to be even more potent than the fish oil, so if I feel that is necessary, perhaps I will switch.

#5 - I'm starting to feel like an old lady. I thought my medicine cabinet looked like a pharmacy, but suddenly my purse has transformed into one as well! I have all my pills plus my lotions floating around in there. Today, I went for the Aquaphor, and instead ended up with a big tube of Cortizone 10. O_O

George Carlin is more interesting than I am.

Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement. You guys are alright.

Hopefully something entertaining will happen soon. :dot:

Day 5

Today is still not the day I will sign up for a beauty pageant.

The weather changed suddenly, and it is 80 degrees Fahrenheit here. Perhaps that is why my face is a nasty, oily thing. Either that or the change in moisturizer. I am now using Cetaphil UltraHydrating at night because I was prepared for extremely dry skin. Either one of those two, both, or neither and this is what Accutane does. :shrug:

Anyway, it wasn't that dry a few days ago when I first reported getting dry skin. It was really dry in one area, so I assumed that was just the beginning. False alarm.

Still have a rash on my right wrist and on the back of my left hand. Itchy, ugly, red.

No new actives.

No new side effects. I hear you korbels...let's gooooo. Perhaps saying that after listing the side effects is not exactly what I was going for. Hold the side effects, bring on the healing.

In other news, I've watched a couple really good movies this week, Slumdog Millionaire among them. The soundtrack is awesome as well. Am listening to it right now.

:wiggle:

And then American History X and Primal Fear are the others. Edward Norton. Mmm... :wub:

Keep it real, homies.

Day 6

I think they really are peanut M&M's.

Update:

Rash is looking much better. Currently moisturizing twice a day with Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion, applying Cortizone 10 in the morning after moisturizing and applying Rex Eme Cream after moisturizing at night. Redness and bumpiness has noticeably subsided. Much more comfy now. :angel:

Day 6

I think they really are peanut M&M's.

Update:

Rash is looking much better. Currently moisturizing twice a day with Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion, applying Cortizone 10 in the morning after moisturizing and applying Rex Eme Cream after moisturizing at night. Redness and bumpiness has noticeably subsided. Much more comfy now. :angel:

Yeah, I notice that Cortizone helps A LOT with my rashes. Are yours persistant? I find that if I don't put Cortizone & Moisturizer on it everyday they will stay. However, I heard that I will build a resistance to it and it won't work anymore. Which leaves me clueless as to how I will keep the rash at bay while on my Accutane treatment, haha.

Since I've only had the rashes since Friday, I hate to say for sure, but so far they are persistent. After I wake up and shower, they get kind of aggravated (itchy & red), and I have to apply the Cortizone 10 which usually calms them down within an hour. I feel like I've just gotten them under control as of this morning. But, if I quit moisturizing and cortizoning and rex emeing, I have no doubt they would come back with a vengeance. At the moment, they're barely noticeable and not itchy if I don't fool with them. Don't know what I'll do if I build up an immunity. Oh geez. I guess I should start researching that now. Thanks so much for your help with the Cortizone recommendation, KL. I'll let you know if I come up with anything we can start using after this stops working. Ha.

Also something I might as well add:

I am oily and grossing myself out. I'm used to being oily, but daaang. It's odd because there are little bits of dry skin, but especially on my T-zone, I'm producing more oil than Saudi Arabia. Not sure how this is possible. I sincerely hope this is the Accutane purging all of my oil reserves in preparation for lovely, NORMAL skin. The only plus side I can see to this is that if there's oil on my face, there must be some in my joints. Haven't had to pull out the walker yet. :banana:

Has anyone else experienced this?

OMG, I loved that dog video. That was too funny. Anyhoo, good luck with your course! Hre we come clear skin.

I love that you compared Accutane to peanut M & M's...I'm pretty sure I'm going to think of a Peanut M & M every time I take mine now! Good Luck with your course!!!!

Day 7

Carmelle - Glad you liked the dog video and also glad to see that it seems everyone found it as hilarious as I did.

Kaelyn - Thanks and keep enjoying those M&M's! ;)

Good luck to both of you. I love how we say "good luck with your course!" I feel like I'm taking a class. Hope I get an A.

So....

Rash looks great...mainly because I can't see it or feel it. I will stop mentioning unless it goes away completely or gets worse.

Haven't snapped on anyone, gone on any mass murdering sprees, or anything of the sort. Happy as a clam. Although, I have my doubts as to whether or not clams are really happy. Seems suspect.

Doing good. :nod:

I keep checking the mirror to see if I have magically morphed into someone/thing other than myself. So far, nothing spectacular has happened. Might be because I just took it 30 minutes ago.

Hahaha I just took my first one like 20 minutes ago and I'm doing the exact same!!! Checking the mirror and keep like gently rubbing my lips together to check if they are going dry yet lol.

HI ENEMY! :D

thank you for ur kind words!!!!! i totally feel ur empathy =]

GOOD lUCK ON THE COURSE!!

and haha i read ur other posts and they are very informative!!! i believe my acnes are primiarily due to genetics i.e. excessive testosterone too....... it is quite obvious as i have hairy arms and legs... they are all from my dad =.= he had severe acne when he was young so i guess theres no way i can avoid it =\

Day 7

Carmelle - Glad you liked the dog video and also glad to see that it seems everyone found it as hilarious as I did.

Good luck to both of you. I love how we say "good luck with your course!" I feel like I'm taking a class. Hope I get an A.

So....

Rash looks great...mainly because I can't see it or feel it. I will stop mentioning unless it goes away completely or gets worse.

Haven't snapped on anyone, gone on any mass murdering sprees, or anything of the sort. Happy as a clam. Although, I have my doubts as to whether or not clams are really happy. Seems suspect.

HI ENEMY! :D

thank you for ur kind words!!!!! i totally feel ur empathy =]

GOOD lUCK ON THE COURSE!!

and haha i read ur other posts and they are very informative!!! i believe my acnes are primiarily due to genetics i.e. excessive testosterone too....... it is quite obvious as i have hairy arms and legs... they are all from my dad =.= he had severe acne when he was young so i guess theres no way i can avoid it =\

Day 7

So....

i am getting rash too! and they are on my hands!! and they look fugly, even strangers at the bus stop asked me sincerely if i got hurt T_____T

Da da da daaa. Time for Cortizoneee.

My dad also had acne and went to the dermatologist as a teen, RB. I'm glad you found my posts informative. I would definitely recommend the regimen I described for the rash. KL got me using Cortizone, and it's working great in addition to the other treatments I mentioned using.

Good luck. Let's do this thing. :ninja: