Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoldenRatio

Can anybody else no longer tolerate milk?

I've had acne (and found out that most of it was really folliculitis) for at least 14 years. I have noticed that I can no longer tolerate dairy products. I drink Lactaid but even that tears up my stomach. I've never been able to eat yogurt. I can sometimes eat icecream - only if it's all natural and doesn't have processed ingredients.

What weirds me out is that I used to be able to drink regular milk, eat cheese all the time, etc. Now I feel like I'm going to die if I eat a bowl of cereal, I don't like cheese anymore, and drinking milk, even Lactaid is something I am losing interest in. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast unless it's cereal. When I lived with my parents I would eat a lot of fruit (that's because we grew it) and I would make scrambled eggs and toast in the morning.

Now I'm in college and cereal is the fastest way to eat. The problem is now the Lactaid. I've often wondered since reading some dairy threads if milk could be affecting my skin. I've noticed when I drink more water and even juice, it's not as irritating. I could never find a pattern before but now I'm noticing what may be a connection to dairy products.

If there are others who can't tolerate dairy products or just don't like them - what do you eat for breakfast? I miss fruits and veggies but can't find any unless they are flown in from Chile, etc, where pesticides aren't strictly regulated. The Farmer's Market isn't open yet either.

I don't like oatmeal - unless it's in the form of a cookie! ;)

My usual diet consists of talipia, catfish, beef (lean ground and several cuts), chicken (usually breasts, and tender cuts because I don't fry chicken), pork (bacon, pork chops), fruits and veggies (cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, carrots, red potatoes, regular potatoes, strawberries, peaches, apricots, grapes, oranges, clementines). I've had lamb before but rarely eat it. I have to be very picky when I go to the store because most produce is flown in - so I may get stuck with just apples, cucumbers, and potatoes for a while. I only cook onions and bell peppers, and a few hot peppers. I really don't like the taste of cooked vegetables because they lose their flavor. ( I can't smell and I won't eat something after I've tried it and found it has no taste. Most vegetables are that way to me.)

I'm also a dark chocolate freak and eat small pieces on a regular basis. :dance::wub:

I used to have a lot more variety but I don't have the time or money to grow and maintain a vegetable garden. When I go home I pig out on home grown corn, blackberries, tomatoes, squash (fried in thin slices), cucumbers, hot peppers, peaches, PLUMS (they taste like candy I tell you), mulberries, etc. :( I now know why people who live in cities don't eat healthy - it's hard to find the good stuff or it's too expensive.

Does anyone know about any good breakfast foods that I've overlooked that don't require dairy? Is there a tasty way to get more fiber in my diet again? I miss the homegrown stuff really bad.

I have kids so I have to come up with things he likes to eat and his choices change a lot.

Any kind of breakfast bar is great on the go, tho they may start to cost you. There's a good amount in the boxes, but you may have to buy then very often or in bulk depending on how many you'll eat;

you said you don't like oatmeal but with the different flavors (strawberry, peach, cinnamon roll) maybe you could try it;

pop tarts are good;

dry cereal in like a zip loc bag?;

dried fruits (cranberries are our fave) these can get expensive too;

fresh/canned fruits - I like canned b/c they don't spoil as fast as fresh;

bagels;

applesauce - they come in diff flavors too

I just don't like milk anymore - I have no idea why. I don't like drinking it straight, prob for like my whole life I didn't do that; and just recently I didn't even want it in my cereal. I like yougurt tho... Hope I helped!

You want to eat less processed foods, therefore less cereal anyway.

You can premake and reheat foods for breakfast so it's fast enough for you. Like scramble a lot of eggs, make a lot of oatmeal and have with cooked apples or applesauce rather than milk. i also like sweet potatoes for breakfast, sprinkled with cinnamon.

You want to eat less processed foods, therefore less cereal anyway.

You can premake and reheat foods for breakfast so it's fast enough for you. Like scramble a lot of eggs, make a lot of oatmeal and have with cooked apples or applesauce rather than milk. i also like sweet potatoes for breakfast, sprinkled with cinnamon.

YUMM!!!! :angel:

I as well have problems now eating certain foods that I have ate for years and I believe that I know why. I took antibiotics for 8 years and they did a number on my stomach. One can develop dysbiosis(unbalanced intestinal flora) in their gut from taking antibiotics long term. This is especially true if you live an unhealthy lifestyle like myself. I was in college so I drank three nights a week, ate processed foods constantly and did not replenish the good bacteria in my stomach because I was unaware of antibiotic effects. Dysbiosis can lead to something called leaky gut which is basically intestinal permiability. If this happens, undigested food molecules can pass through your gut and into your blood stream causing a food sensitivity. Usuaully foods causing the most problems include; wheat, eggs, nuts and dairy.

If you have taken antibiotics this may be something to look into.

I really don't like the taste of cooked vegetables because they lose their flavor.

Really? How are you cooking your vegetables?

I as well have problems now eating certain foods that I have ate for years and I believe that I know why. I took antibiotics for 8 years and they did a number on my stomach. One can develop dysbiosis(unbalanced intestinal flora) in their gut from taking antibiotics long term. This is especially true if you live an unhealthy lifestyle like myself. I was in college so I drank three nights a week, ate processed foods constantly and did not replenish the good bacteria in my stomach because I was unaware of antibiotic effects. Dysbiosis can lead to something called leaky gut which is basically intestinal permiability. If this happens, undigested food molecules can pass through your gut and into your blood stream causing a food sensitivity. Usuaully foods causing the most problems include; wheat, eggs, nuts and dairy.

If you have taken antibiotics this may be something to look into.

Yes, quite a few issues can lead to poor digestion which can lead to food sensitivities that you didn't have before. And many can go away once you heal.

I have cut out dairy completely. It was the cause of my cysts. No more cysts for me. It's a sacrifice becaues it's in so many foods, but I feel so much better. Dairy made my sinuses all mucously too.