Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lokimercury

Is the Accutane dosage purely based on weight?

Hi,

Is the Accutane dosage purely based on weight? Or does the severity of the acne come into it?

I have mild (yet extremely persistent) acne, and I would be concerned to be going on anything over 30mg, due to the fact that initial breakouts and side effects are apparently more severe with higher dosages.

I'm 19, and I'm quite slim so probably a little bit under the average weight for a 19 year old male. Considering I'm not overweight, can you request to go on a smaller dosage? I don't see any need to go on a massive dosage, but I obviously want to go on some sort of dosage, to get rid of my acne.

It is calculated with both the severity and your weight. Although my derm has me going on the same dosage that I had the first time I was on Accutane even though my acne is nowhere near what it was. I was on 60mg a day and I had moderate acne, and I weigh 110 pounds. That's high--but my acne was pretty moderate.

She said I had success with it the first time so she just wants to do it again. She doesn't want to take the chance.

How much do you weigh?

Im an 18 year old, with a thin body type like yours most probably weighing just under 9 stone, under what a typical 18 year old does for 5 foot 9 1/2.

How much do you weigh?

Im an 18 year old, with a thin body type like yours most probably weighing just under 9 stone, under what a typical 18 year old does for 5 foot 9 1/2.

I'm male and I weigh about 9-10 stone, similar to you. My acne is mild however (but very persistant) so do you reckon i'll be put on about 20mg?