Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
f*ck_me

what can i expect on my first derm visit

hi. i made an appointment with a dermatologist and the earliest slot that was available was 1 month away! anyway, this will be my first time going to a derm.

i have mild but persistent acne, and some hyper pigmentation. i suspect the doctor will give me some antibiotics and some cream.

just how much time do they spend with you? is it just looking at your face for a few seconds and then writing a scrpit (like so many other doctors?) do they perform any tests, or anything like that? usually when do i schedule a followup?

just how much time do they spend with you? is it just looking at your face for a few seconds and then writing a scrpit (like so many other doctors?) do they perform any tests, or anything like that? usually when do i schedule a followup?

Any decent dermatologist around here seems to have at least a two week wait to get in.

What to expect from them really varies. I had one who wanted to lance every pimple on my face. It hurt like a bitch. He tried telling me it prevented scaring, but my aunt went to the same guy 20 years prior for her acne and she has terrible acne scars. Needless to say I stopped going to that guy shortly after.

My next derm seemed popular and successful. In short time he built a brand new building and modeled it as some sort of high class dermatologists office. He was kinda a douche too. Wanted you to buy these special overpriced soaps and toners that he peddled. I had slightly better results with him. He put me on benzclin and I had some success. What I didn't like was that he would assume the patients weren't using their meds if they had any sort of breakout or relapse. His office visits were better though. He would use the nitrogen to freeze my active breakouts, rather than physically breaking the skin like my first derm.

I wish you luck though, and if you don't like what they do then find a new derm!

My first visit was 10-15 minutes. She asked the basic questions about my skin and inspected it. Some derms are impersonal, so hope that yours is understanding and willing to listen. Mild acne is treated with a gentle face wash and a topical like Differin. Follow up visits vary, and expect those visits to be spaced out from 1-3 months. It's tough getting into a derm's office, but they sure get you out in a hurry.

depends on whether your dermatologist is a good person or not. my first derm spend less than two minutes with me, I'm not joking. And he prescribed something that I told him about 5 times I knew I was allergic to! Usually it will be closer to 10 minutes, no longer than that unless you're getting injections or extractions which can take time...cortisone injections only take about two to five minutes depending on how many injections you need but extractions can take longer even if you're only having a few...

my first derm visit was pretty quick. she asked me why i was there, took a look at my face and wrote a prescription. not too different from what my doctor did. she gave me the opportunity to schedule a follow up before i left. i don't think it was a waste of time for me because the tazorac did help more than the retin-a, but i was hoping for the appointment to be more personal.

well i finally had my appointment yesterday. it was a pretty good experience overall. my derm was very nice and pretty :blush: she made me feel very comfortable.

it was very quick. she came in, shook my hand, and asked me a few questions about my family history, products used in the past, drug allergies, etc. then she sat me down in the examining chair and looked closely at my face and felt the texture with her hands. all this took about 3 minutes. she then left and came back with a prescription, samples, hand written instructions, and some savings cards for the meds. she explained how i should use everything and told me to schedule an appointment in 8 weeks.

the whole appointment with the doc was probably 5 minutes or so. she prescribed me an antibotic called Doryx, and also a topical called Ziana, which contains tretinoin and also an antibiotic.

oh yeah, while i was in the waiting room, every patient there was like 65 and older! seems like a lot of Americans have skin issues when they get older.

oh yeah, while i was in the waiting room, every patient there was like 65 and older! seems like a lot of Americans have skin issues when they get older.

HAhaha!! Thats like my derm office...weird

Sounds like a nice derm. Mine was pretty nice about handing me samples to use. She would always give me a few Retin-a coupons to use, because she knew my insurance didn't cover it, and RAM is expensive.