Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm having a hard time finding a good make-up/moisturizer combo. I'm on my 8th week of Dan's regimen, & I'm still dealing with some dryness (yuck).. So here's my problem:

To start with, my skin was really, really flakey, so when I put make-up on, it just made it look even worse. No amount of Dan's moisturizer & jojoba oil would help, & if I put too much on, my skin would look really oily, & you could still see where the dry patches were.. My face had little lines ALL over it, & you could see the flakes hanging out in my make-up. Not so pretty.

When I first started the regimen, & was really having a problem with this, I was only using Physician's Formula mineral foundation (liquid), & there was nothing I could do to make my skin look half-way decent. It was a mess. It got to the point where I would just skip the moisturizer in the mornings, for the most part, & pile it on extra thick at night, hoping that I wouldn't even need to moisturize the next day. Usually, that wasn't the case.

So now.. I've been on the regimen for a while, & I've started using AHA+ along with the moisturizer. I don't use it TOO often (every other night or morning), but I figured I would try using it under make-up, to see if my skin would still look really oily. New problem! My skin doesn't really look oily, but since the AHA+ is a chemical exfoliant, it well.. Exfoliates.. & as I put on make-up all the dead skin clumps up WITH the make-up.

I'm still using Physician's Formula foundation, but now I'm also using Bare Naturale mineral make-up over it.. I've found that the buffing helps get rid of the clumps of make-up & dead skin.. It looks okay at first, but as the day goes on.. Eh. Not so great. I have to touch it up a lot, & I hate that I'm using so much make-up.

Sorry for the big, long post, but I really need some advice here.. Has anyone had these same problems while on the regimen? Is there something that works better than what I'm doing? I need a good moisturizer that really, really works & gets rid of flakes, but won't make my skin look greasy with make-up.

Does that even exist? :shifty:

To get rid of the flakes, I would recommend exfoliating with a microbead scrub or a baby hair brush + Jojoba Oil.

I use Olay Complete SPF 15 moisturizer for Oily/Combination skin, and it works well at not making my face shiny. But when you wear makeup and have acne, a shiny face is unavoidable, so I use oil blotting sheets when needed. :)

To get rid of the flakes, I would recommend exfoliating with a microbead scrub or a baby hair brush + Jojoba Oil.

I use Olay Complete SPF 15 moisturizer for Oily/Combination skin, and it works well at not making my face shiny. But when you wear makeup and have acne, a shiny face is unavoidable, so I use oil blotting sheets when needed. :)

Looks like I should get some blotting sheets, then! What kind of scrub do you use? I use St. Ives gentle scrub every once in a while.. It doesn't break me out, but it doesn't really exfoliate that well either. :confused:

i feel like the perfect moisturizer doesn't exist either. lol. it sucks .. right now i'm using cetaphil moisturizing cream and it really moisturizes all day, but it gives you that greasy look you're talking about. i have to blot before putting on a primer. unfortunately, i can't get rid of the shine either. it's a crazy ordeal. good luck and i love the physician's formula pressed powder. it's so easy to apply.

Looks like I should get some blotting sheets, then! What kind of scrub do you use? I use St. Ives gentle scrub every once in a while.. It doesn't break me out, but it doesn't really exfoliate that well either. :confused:

I <333 that scrub

It's been ages since I used a St. Ives scrub, but if the scrubby particles in it aren't smooth ball particles and are jagged nut shell type particles, then you're probably doing more damage than good to your flakies. I far prefer manual exfoliation with a washcloth, which is a lot gentler IME.

So far as moisture goes, try applying your jojoba or moisturizer while your face is still slightly damp with water, or spritz with a hydrosol, and instead of smoothing your moisturizer on, warm it by rubbing it between your fingertips and press it into your skin. Less friction on your skin.

i feel your pain.... finding the right moisturizer, and the right amount of moisturizer to use can be difficult. i posted in another thread you made, but besides the whole moisturizer thing, if you're into your 8th week of the regimen and still having flaking issues, your skin sounds like it's not acclimated to the bp yet. maybe try cutting down a bit and see if your flaking subsides. i went through the same thing. after several months of doing the regimen, i found my skin just couldn't tolerate that much bp, and i only use it once a day now.

one of the things that really helped me was mac's cleanse-off oil. i bought it to remove my make-up before using my cleanser, but found when i worked it into my skin, it loosened up all the flakes so i could just wash them away. i tried this with jojoba oil too like cool as kim deal suggests, but it just didn't work the same for me. you can also try using a washcloth or the baby brush method. cetaphil cream is also an awesome heavy moisturizer that i found to be much better than cetaphil lotion. it absorbs better and doesn't leave you as greasy (which is ironic as it's actually heavier than the lotion.) jojoba oil and cetaphil lotion seem to always leave me oily mid-day despite my dry skin, but i'm too cheap to go out and find something else right now. blotting takes care of it anyway.

in using the aha+, it does have a tendency to ball up a bit. i found that i can really only use a pea size amount and i can't overwork it like i do with bp. in my bp application, i spread it gently over my face until it's all absorbed. with aha+, i have to just smooth over my face and let it sink it on its own. it might be best to use it at night until your flakes subside.

sorry for the long post! i just know in doing the regimen, you really have to listen to your skin, and it can be difficult trying to figure things out. you'll start to notice what works and what doesn, and you can tweak things around to give you the best results. good luck!

i feel your pain.... finding the right moisturizer, and the right amount of moisturizer to use can be difficult. i posted in another thread you made, but besides the whole moisturizer thing, if you're into your 8th week of the regimen and still having flaking issues, your skin sounds like it's not acclimated to the bp yet. maybe try cutting down a bit and see if your flaking subsides. i went through the same thing. after several months of doing the regimen, i found my skin just couldn't tolerate that much bp, and i only use it once a day now.

one of the things that really helped me was mac's cleanse-off oil. i bought it to remove my make-up before using my cleanser, but found when i worked it into my skin, it loosened up all the flakes so i could just wash them away. i tried this with jojoba oil too like cool as kim deal suggests, but it just didn't work the same for me. you can also try using a washcloth or the baby brush method. cetaphil cream is also an awesome heavy moisturizer that i found to be much better than cetaphil lotion. it absorbs better and doesn't leave you as greasy (which is ironic as it's actually heavier than the lotion.) jojoba oil and cetaphil lotion seem to always leave me oily mid-day despite my dry skin, but i'm too cheap to go out and find something else right now. blotting takes care of it anyway.

in using the aha+, it does have a tendency to ball up a bit. i found that i can really only use a pea size amount and i can't overwork it like i do with bp. in my bp application, i spread it gently over my face until it's all absorbed. with aha+, i have to just smooth over my face and let it sink it on its own. it might be best to use it at night until your flakes subside.

sorry for the long post! i just know in doing the regimen, you really have to listen to your skin, and it can be difficult trying to figure things out. you'll start to notice what works and what doesn, and you can tweak things around to give you the best results. good luck!

No, thank you for the long post! Haha. It's good to know that someone understands what I'm dealing with..

But I really have no idea how much BP I need to use. It seems like I can barely use any at all, & I still have flakes. I know I'll never get up to 2 full pumps, much less one. I've also considered using it only at night, but I'm worried about how my skin would react. Guess I won't know until I try, though, right?

Also, reading your reply made me realize something.. About five years ago I was on Benzaclin for about a year. NEVER had problems with dryness, & when I did, just a little moisturizer would fix it. Honestly, I only remember my skin getting a little dry once, & it was no big deal. This was back before I had done my research on acne & sensitive skin, so when I was removing make-up & washing my face, I would just use a wash cloth.. Not sure if I would pat dry, like they always suggest, but yeah.. I know for a fact I wasn't nearly as gentle with my skin as I am now. That kind of makes me think that by using the wash cloth I was also exfoliating my skin, without realizing it.

Maybe?

& I had wonderful results with Benzaclin.. It took a little while, but it's the only thing that's ever cleared me up completely.

But I'm definitely going to stick to just using the AHA+ at night, & I'm also going to get some mac cleanse-off oil.. Just because it's been suggested so many times. :)

thanks again!

It's been ages since I used a St. Ives scrub, but if the scrubby particles in it aren't smooth ball particles and are jagged nut shell type particles, then you're probably doing more damage than good to your flakies. I far prefer manual exfoliation with a washcloth, which is a lot gentler IME.

So far as moisture goes, try applying your jojoba or moisturizer while your face is still slightly damp with water, or spritz with a hydrosol, and instead of smoothing your moisturizer on, warm it by rubbing it between your fingertips and press it into your skin. Less friction on your skin.

I don't use the St. Ives often, maybe once a week or so, & I've never broken out from it. It doesn't really seem to do muh of anything.. Like exfoliate. :shrug:

I actually read a post earlier today saying to apply jojoba oil when your skin's still a little damp.. & I think I might give it a try tonight. I'll figure this all out eventually!

Thanks for the reply. :)

i feel like the perfect moisturizer doesn't exist either. lol. it sucks .. right now i'm using cetaphil moisturizing cream and it really moisturizes all day, but it gives you that greasy look you're talking about. i have to blot before putting on a primer. unfortunately, i can't get rid of the shine either. it's a crazy ordeal. good luck and i love the physician's formula pressed powder. it's so easy to apply.

At least I'm not alone! I just finished up a tube of the Cetaphil cream, but I only used it at night since it's so thick.. I'm thinking I might get some more, though.. It definitely seems to help.

& I think I have EVERY product made by Physician's formula, except the pressed power.. I might need to get some. :)

No, thank you for the long post! Haha. It's good to know that someone understands what I'm dealing with..

But I really have no idea how much BP I need to use. It seems like I can barely use any at all, & I still have flakes. I know I'll never get up to 2 full pumps, much less one. I've also considered using it only at night, but I'm worried about how my skin would react. Guess I won't know until I try, though, right?

Also, reading your reply made me realize something.. About five years ago I was on Benzaclin for about a year. NEVER had problems with dryness, & when I did, just a little moisturizer would fix it. Honestly, I only remember my skin getting a little dry once, & it was no big deal. This was back before I had done my research on acne & sensitive skin, so when I was removing make-up & washing my face, I would just use a wash cloth.. Not sure if I would pat dry, like they always suggest, but yeah.. I know for a fact I wasn't nearly as gentle with my skin as I am now. That kind of makes me think that by using the wash cloth I was also exfoliating my skin, without realizing it.

Maybe?

& I had wonderful results with Benzaclin.. It took a little while, but it's the only thing that's ever cleared me up completely.

But I'm definitely going to stick to just using the AHA+ at night, & I'm also going to get some mac cleanse-off oil.. Just because it's been suggested so many times. :)

thanks again!

oh my gosh, i went through the exact same thing! i knew i had to change something, but i was terrified that if i cut down bp that i would end up breaking out. i went through several different phases to get to where i am now, and i must have started and stopped the regimen 3 or 4 times. it's not just about finding out what the right amount of bp to use is, it's also making sure you're using the right cleanser and moisturizer too. :wacko:

most cleansers tend to dry me out, even dan's. (at least the old formula did.) the only cleanser i found that made my skin feel comfortable after was cetaphil gentle, and it works great with the cleanse-off oil. (which i think you'll love. ask for a sample first just to make sure though. :)) i have to make sure i use an adequate moisturizer after i'm done with the whole process too, and i found jojoba oil to be a great additive. as for the aha+, some people claim that it's awesome, but i haven't really seen much of a difference in my skin. i guess it makes it a little smoother and my tone more even, but i wouldn't put a whole lot of stake in it. (sorry if i offended those of you that love it.)

i think a washcloth might be a good idea. my first time on the regimen, i used a washcloth every night and don't remember having a problem with flakes. just be careful though not to over scrub.

oh my gosh, i went through the exact same thing! i knew i had to change something, but i was terrified that if i cut down bp that i would end up breaking out. i went through several different phases to get to where i am now, and i must have started and stopped the regimen 3 or 4 times. it's not just about finding out what the right amount of bp to use is, it's also making sure you're using the right cleanser and moisturizer too. :wacko:

most cleansers tend to dry me out, even dan's. (at least the old formula did.) the only cleanser i found that made my skin feel comfortable after was cetaphil gentle, and it works great with the cleanse-off oil. (which i think you'll love. ask for a sample first just to make sure though. :)) i have to make sure i use an adequate moisturizer after i'm done with the whole process too, and i found jojoba oil to be a great additive. as for the aha+, some people claim that it's awesome, but i haven't really seen much of a difference in my skin. i guess it makes it a little smoother and my tone more even, but i wouldn't put a whole lot of stake in it. (sorry if i offended those of you that love it.)

i think a washcloth might be a good idea. my first time on the regimen, i used a washcloth every night and don't remember having a problem with flakes. just be careful though not to over scrub.

I've kinda wondered if Dan's cleanser might be drying me out.. But it's hard to tell, since I'm using BP, too. I was also using Cetaphil, or a generic form of it, when I was on Benzaclin. :think: Hmmm. I'm almost out of the cleanser, too.. So I'm thinking maybe I won't order anymore, & I'll go back to using Cetaphil, since I know it worked okay for me before.

I just started using the AHA+ about a week ago.. It definitely exfoliates like they say, but my problem is.. The dead skin that comes loose doesn't want to leave. & my skin feels kinda rough. :(

I'm thinking I definitely need to make a few small changes, though..

you have almost every product made my physcian's formula? lol. i think they're a really good brand. do you have an recommendations? i think the mineral face powder is nice. if you can find your shade it looks really natural .. but the lasting power isn't so good. that's my only complaint.

you have almost every product made my physcian's formula? lol. i think they're a really good brand. do you have an recommendations? i think the mineral face powder is nice. if you can find your shade it looks really natural .. but the lasting power isn't so good. that's my only complaint.

Okay not every one.. But I have a bunch.. I love their liquid mineral foundation. It's what I've used for.. A while. I don't even know how long. I always come across new things in the store & I'll be like.. Hmmm.. Think I'll try this.. But nothing ever works or covers as well.

I have their mineral face powder, too.. I just haven't used it much becacuse I don't really like the brush. I'm just so used to the brush in the Bare Naturale foundation. :shrug: I'm sure I'll use it eventually.

&.. I have their mineral concealer.. The kind that comes in the pen. It's nice, but it takes forever to get enough out to cover my nasty bumps & red marks. I've found that what works best for me is the regular concealer they have.. Not sure if it's mineral or not, but it's made for sensitive skin - the green kind. I always feel weird putting green dots all over my face, but it really does a good job covering. I'm out, though. :(

thanks for the suggestions ^_^ i know what you mean about putting green on your face .. lol. i just suck putting concealer on no matter what. i think i'll try something for the under eye. i like their liquid foundation, too.

Bio oil is working good for me. It moisturizes your skin, evens out your skin tone, and gets rid of your scars all at the same time. What I really like about it is that it doesn't make you break out, and it absorbs well so your face doesn't feel greasy or oily :) I've only been using this for a couple weeks though, so we shall see.

thanks for the suggestions ^_^ i know what you mean about putting green on your face .. lol. i just suck putting concealer on no matter what. i think i'll try something for the under eye. i like their liquid foundation, too.

Yeah, I suck at concealer, too.. I always get paranoid that you can see it through my make-up haha. I just bought some Revlon Colorstay (the mineral powder & liquid foundation) the other day.. I couldn't resist. I've read good things about it in the forums, & it was buy one get one free! But I've only used it once since I bought it, so.. All I can really say is.. I don't think it broke me out, & the color was perfect.

The only thing I've been able to do about the flakes that are causing all the problems is stop using BP for a few days.. So far I've only gotten a couple new pimples that aren't that big (the curse just arrived, so I'm going to get them whether I use BP or not), & my skin is no longer dry & flakey :boogie:

Bio oil is working good for me. It moisturizes your skin, evens out your skin tone, and gets rid of your scars all at the same time. What I really like about it is that it doesn't make you break out, and it absorbs well so your face doesn't feel greasy or oily :) I've only been using this for a couple weeks though, so we shall see.

I've thought about getting some, because I've heard lots of good things about it. :)

I'd quit the BP. It causes free radical damage and will accelerate aging. Or at least use sparingly and perhaps not daily. You might try rotating all the products so you don't use them daily.

Ever considered using a primer under your makeup? It helps minimize the look of pores and facilitates blending. It may feel oily when you first put it on, but after the makeup is applied, it looks great.

I use Skinprepfx, it's great for sensitive skin, and has acne fighting ingredients.

I'd quit the BP. It causes free radical damage and will accelerate aging. Or at least use sparingly and perhaps not daily. You might try rotating all the products so you don't use them daily.

I've tried not using anything & my skin looks horrible.. So quitting BP completely isn't really an option for me. I am, however, using less these days.. I don't think I really need to use a lot, plus I'm tired of having flakey skin. So I'd say I'm definitely using it sparingly.. Still every day, but.. Yeah.

Ever considered using a primer under your makeup? It helps minimize the look of pores and facilitates blending. It may feel oily when you first put it on, but after the makeup is applied, it looks great.

I use Skinprepfx, it's great for sensitive skin, and has acne fighting ingredients.

I've actually never used a primer before.. Sounds nice, though! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I would highly recommend Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. This stuff is amazing. It's very gentle and really really does the job. It's expensive, but I have had mine over a year. I use it only once a week or so, but it is gentle enough to use every day.

I would look into using a primer, too. It will help keep your foundation smooth and from sinking into the creases of your face. I use Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. It's less expensive than the Smashbox Primer and works just as well.

I am also having issues with flaky skin.... My derma recommended to me an aloe vera gel, the name is Hidraloe, and I´ve been using it as a moisturizer, and it´s very good! leaves my face fresh, not oily but quite moisturized... So far, I love the product.

I would highly recommend Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. This stuff is amazing. It's very gentle and really really does the job. It's expensive, but I have had mine over a year. I use it only once a week or so, but it is gentle enough to use every day.

I would look into using a primer, too. It will help keep your foundation smooth and from sinking into the creases of your face. I use Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. It's less expensive than the Smashbox Primer and works just as well.

Both of those sound really, really nice. I just wish I could afford them! :(

Maybe one day.. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

I am also having issues with flaky skin.... My derma recommended to me an aloe vera gel, the name is Hidraloe, and I´ve been using it as a moisturizer, and it´s very good! leaves my face fresh, not oily but quite moisturized... So far, I love the product.

Where do you get it? Sounds perfect. I'm looking for a good moisturizer to use during the day that looks okay under make-up, but I'm also looking for something that I can use at night.. Doesn't really matter how it looks since no one's going to see me.

Both of those sound really, really nice. I just wish I could afford them! :(

Maybe one day.. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Where do you get it? Sounds perfect. I'm looking for a good moisturizer to use during the day that looks okay under make-up, but I'm also looking for something that I can use at night.. Doesn't really matter how it looks since no one's going to see me.

Idk if you are still watching this thread or not, but I aboslutely LOVE my moisturizer from Biore!!!! It doesn't give you that icky greasy look (which cetaphil does to me) but it makes your skin feel SOOO hydrated. I don't use the night serum, I use the nourish moisturizer w/ SPF 15.

Link: http://www.biore.com/usa/products/productD...sp?productid=20

It wasn't UBER expensive either. It was about $8.94 at WalMart and about $11 at Walgreens. However, I used it nearly EVERy morning and night and it lasted me like 3-4 months!! I <3 it!!

Biore products are getting hard to find, but the 3 places I have seen them at are: Target, Walgreens and Walmart. And walmart has them cheapest unless somewhere else they're on sale. The Biore products have worked wonders for people I know..they did for a while for me, but they mostly controlled not treated my acne. However it cleared up a TON for me!!

Let me know if I can help anymore! (message me preferably)

Good luck!

~Me

That cleanse-off oil looks mighty appealing. Please update with your results if you do buy it!

I've also been looking for a good moisturizer, but the only thing I've been able to find that doesn't cause breakouts or clogged pores has been Complex 15. It's a good moisturizer (and I used to use it with the regimen, in fact), but it's definitely not moisturizing enough. At most, it's good for some surface dryness after washing the face, but won't really get rid of flakes. Right now I've got like a full surface layer of dry skin, and don't know quite how to get it off.

I'm thinking of looking into Cerave - have you tried that?

I've been using something similar to Vaseline Intensive Care, but it's the Walgreen's brand (99 cents a tube - sounds scary since it's so cheap, but it's fragrance free, hypoallergenic, enriched with vitamin E, & great for sensitive skin, which I definitely have..)

A few days ago I messed up by using Neutrogena's skin clearing concealer.. I guess I used it on too many spots on my face or something - either way it dried my skin out BAD.. It was really flakey, peeling off in big chunks, worse than it's ever been from using BP or anything else.. & this lotion really helped! I just used A LOT of it (didn't leave the house all day, since my skin looked so bad), put on a lot before I went to bed, & it fixed my skin completely - no more flakes! & best of all, it has yet to make me break out. I piled on a TON of it last night & my skin looks great today. :) But that's just me..

I only use it when my skin's really dry, though. When it's not, I do use Cerave.. But only at night since it doesn't work so well under the make-up I use. :doubt: I have yet to find a good moisturizer to use during the day..

Idk if you are still watching this thread or not, but I aboslutely LOVE my moisturizer from Biore!!!! It doesn't give you that icky greasy look (which cetaphil does to me) but it makes your skin feel SOOO hydrated. I don't use the night serum, I use the nourish moisturizer w/ SPF 15.

Link: http://www.biore.com/usa/products/productD...sp?productid=20

It wasn't UBER expensive either. It was about $8.94 at WalMart and about $11 at Walgreens. However, I used it nearly EVERy morning and night and it lasted me like 3-4 months!! I <3 it!!

Biore products are getting hard to find, but the 3 places I have seen them at are: Target, Walgreens and Walmart. And walmart has them cheapest unless somewhere else they're on sale. The Biore products have worked wonders for people I know..they did for a while for me, but they mostly controlled not treated my acne. However it cleared up a TON for me!!

Let me know if I can help anymore! (message me preferably)

Good luck!

~Me

That sounds really nice.. I just went to the website & if it actually does what it says, it's exactly what I'm looking for.. I'll have to look into it as soon as I run out of the moisturizer I'm currently using (Cerave.. I only use it at night, though. :() ..