Notifications
Clear all

Does ivory soap work?

MemberMember
(@pbjlee29)

Posted : 03/03/2009 5:57 pm

hi im new to acne.org and im tryin to get rid of my pimples like everyone else here. i once heard from a friend that ivory soap works really well against pimples and that it can get rid of them. is that true?

MemberMember
(@alyssa2008-2008)

Posted : 03/03/2009 6:01 pm

For me I love ivory soap. Its what I wash my body with. I do have chest acne though so it hasn't gotten rid of that. I don't use it to wash my face either. Its up to you to give it a try or not...good luck

MemberMember
(@pbjlee29)

Posted : 03/03/2009 10:34 pm

For me I love ivory soap. Its what I wash my body with. I do have chest acne though so it hasn't gotten rid of that. I don't use it to wash my face either. Its up to you to give it a try or not...good luck

:P lol im sorta scared to try it. thanks for ur advice anyway:) wat do u use then for your acne if not the ivory soap??

MemberMember
(@jenaphile)

Posted : 03/04/2009 1:44 am

I wouldn't recommend a bath soap for the face. Dan recommends his cleanser, or you can use Cetaphil or Purpose. The regimen specifically recommends using a soap-free product, since soap can be drying to the face.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 03/04/2009 2:25 am

No. Ivory soap strips the skin. And not only that, it leaves a residue on the skin. Both are bad news. Get yourself a mild, non-overdrying cleanser, not a soap. I should do a daily video on this...

MemberMember
(@alyssa2008-2008)

Posted : 03/04/2009 1:45 pm

hey Dan do you use anything to wash your hands before cleansing with your soap?? I always wash my hands with ivory soap, then after my hands are washed, I apply the cleanser...thanks...

MemberMember
(@pbjlee29)

Posted : 03/04/2009 10:04 pm

No. Ivory soap strips the skin. And not only that, it leaves a residue on the skin. Both are bad news. Get yourself a mild, non-overdrying cleanser, not a soap. I should do a daily video on this...

Hm....so no soap or like the bar stuff? im not sure what the cleanser stuff is but ill look it up. im just trying to find basic and simple remedies or things that can make my acne go down a bit even if it doesnt go all the way. im not saying that your products are bad or anything(because i really wanna try them haha) but im not as fortunate as other people to buy things as freely as other people can:( as u know, the economy is pretty bad and my family is hanging on, but any support or ideas would be great! thank you mr. dan!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/29/2009 9:46 pm

I'm going to have to politely disagree w/ Dan here--Ivory soap is one of the mildest bar soaps, it's also 99.4% free from impurities which is why it floats. As a woman I've used probably hundreds of body washes and soap brands and Ivory is the only one that doesn't leave a layer of soap film, so idk where he got that little factoid.

I had severe acne from age 10 all the way through high school. I have rather oily yet sensitive skin. I absolutely cannot use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide because it dries my face to the point where moisturizer cannot repair it.

As you can see from my icon my skin is relatively clear now. I still get the occasional spot but who here doesn't, honestly? If you want to see how red, irritated, and swollen my face looked before, look at my post in the intro topic from my profile. Be warned though.

I tried everything from Proactiv to Arbonne and spent major $$$ yet the only thing that worked for me was plain basic Ivory soap. Any spots I do get, I use pure Tea Tree Oil which works so amazingly.

When using the soap, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, rinse, re-lather and then splash the soapy warm-hot-water mixture on your face. You will actually feel your skin getting that clean feeling. Rub your face vigorously and use your fingertips to massage around the hairline and jawline, two places that are easy-to-miss trouble spots. Once you're through, rinse your face with cold water (this part is essential--the cool water rinses the soap clean and also tightens your pores and brightens your skin) and pat dry with a clean towel.

Rinse it whenever, after sports or work or whenever your face feels unclean.

That's what I do. It actually works. Don't diss it til you try it.

MemberMember
(@metaregina)

Posted : 10/10/2009 6:06 am

I've been using Ivory soap on my face for the past couple of days now, and my skin feels wonderful. Not tight or "stripped" at all. I've also noticed my skin seems to be clearing a bit! But I've also been severely limiting my dairy intake for the past two months, so that could be contributing too.

MemberMember
(@jennifer81)

Posted : 12/29/2009 11:29 pm

hi im new to acne.org and im tryin to get rid of my pimples like everyone else here. i once heard from a friend that ivory soap works really well against pimples and that it can get rid of them. is that true?

yes is absolutely true. as a teenager i started to get a lot of pimples and one day i heard on the news that it was discovered that the people with oily skin who get acne alot should wash their rface with ivory soap and really cold water . so i tried it and when i tried it i started to see major improvement now as i write i can guaranteed anyone that ivory soap is the best remedy for pimples, an you have to wash your face as many times as you think is possible, when you touch your face if you see that your face is oily it means is time to wash it, but remember with cold water, a week late you will see a difference, i recommended this to two of my co-workers and you have no 9idea how greatful they are, give it a try you wont regret it, o yeah and if you use makeup try to avoid it as much as possible

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 12/30/2009 12:57 pm

Ive been using the 99% pure Ivory soap for 10 years now and my skin loves it.....its actually the only thing i can use on my face that wont break me out and has never over dried my skin either. I tried numerous things to wash my face and was a disaster! I wont use anything but Ivory Soap :)

MemberMember
(@sm9k)

Posted : 01/30/2010 6:38 pm

I'm going to have to politely disagree w/ Dan here--Ivory soap is one of the mildest bar soaps, it's also 99.4% free from impurities which is why it floats. As a woman I've used probably hundreds of body washes and soap brands and Ivory is the only one that doesn't leave a layer of soap film, so idk where he got that little factoid.

I had severe acne from age 10 all the way through high school. I have rather oily yet sensitive skin.

This is similar to my experience with regard to all the other "cleanser" and "body wash" products. They all would leave my skin oily, broken out, and not very clean-feeling. I started using Ivory bar soap with a washcloth after trying the regimen with other cleansers, and it has made a world of difference.

The difference of opinion might have to do with the section of text I bolded up in that quote. My skin is naturally very oily -- a major annoyance my whole life -- and the soap (which I use on my face, too) helps dry it out to more of a normal state.

MemberMember
(@soundtrack2mylife)

Posted : 01/31/2010 12:51 am

you can still use a bar soap, but I recommend Cetaphil.. you can buy it at any drug store, I'm with Dan, dont use Ivory.

MemberMember
(@justin-m)

Posted : 06/25/2020 3:42 pm

I have the answer! My acne was very severe - cystic acne. I always hadblemishes and whiteheads in my skin. Growing a beard made my skin underneath breakout. I was washing my face repeatedly with Dove and other liquid cleansers in the past. I was NOT rubbing my skin. I was cleaning very lightly topically, then applying a moisturizer. It always made my skin acne prone. I thought I was being too tough on my skin when I used a wash rag, bar soap, etc. I still think wash rags are really bad for the skin - all over the body.

Ivory soap is the best answer. There is a complete misunderstanding of what Ivory soap does.... Let me clarify... What Dan and others are saying is correct! On the surface, yes, Ivory soap seems to over dry the skin, leave it flakey, etc. What Dan is referring to as a white film being left behind because of Ivory is a misunderstanding. Those are dead skin cells - not film from Ivory soap. When a person begins to use Ivory soap, the dead skin on the top of your epidermis is immediately obvious. Using Ivory is like shining a big spot light on the dead skin clogging your pores up.

What I discovered is that using Ivory, and lightlyrubbing up and down, removes the dead skin very quickly. Once the dead skin is gone, your face and skin will never feel dried out. What I did was I kept adding water to the soap, over and over, and kept rubbing up and down over and over. I did this for about 5 minutes, while also adding more and more water. I also did this all over my body.

This removed all of the topical dead skin very quickly. After my skin dried from my shower, it felt very soft and healthy. Not dried out and rigid. This is BEFORE any moisturizer was applied to my face! Ivory soap makes your skin feel dried out and rigid when you DONT rub lightly adding more and more water to remove the dead skin. The dry flakey skin is left of the surface, and it feels horrible! It SEEMS like a film is being left behind because of the soap. Not the truth!

This idea will cureyour cystic acne. Also - always use luke warm water, use your fingertips very gently, and never use a rag on your face or body. I found that moisturizers can make my skin feel clogged, I think this has more to do with not getting your dead skin off topically.

I do know for a certainty that using Ivory to lightly exfoliate (always adding water until satisfied) while gently using your fingertips works the best to clear up acne, cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, and other skin issues from dry skin (eczema, rashes, etc.). Ivoryis better than anything else I have ever used before in terms of making my face and skinfeel good. Anywhere there is dead, unhealthy skin, Ivory will make obvious. It will make these areas of your skin feel uncomfortable until those dead skin cells flake off or exfoliated out with very gentle motions of your fingers!

If you read the reviews on Amazon for Ivory soap, you will see that I am not the only one with a high opinion of Ivory soap. There is simply no other soap that will clear pores out, remove dead skin, and make your skin feel soft at the same time. My skin doesnt feel stripped of oil. It feels pretty soft! Also, using facial sponges with Ivory soap may also be a good option!