Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Lactic Peels advice

Hi all

I had a very nice/helpful email from Richard from www.loganwoodskincare.com about the way we were using our lactic peels.

He was concerned that we were leaving it on our faces for too long. He suggests we should leave it on for only 5 minutes at the maximum end. He feels that we should NOT be over processing our skin.

I have asked Richard to kindly post here for our benefit (as I know he is an honest and professional supplier of lactic peels, also he is a practitioner and sees clients too).

I am emailing Richard this link in the hope he will respond.

i usually leave on for 10minutes, but last time i did 20minutes. So is this a no no?

As it never caused any flaking or anything.

Hi Chappy, Even though I use high strength/low pH Lactic I am still very conservative with its use. I have found that on most clients ( and myself too ) that the results are just as good with applications lasting only 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes at the higher pH levels I will leave it on up to 10 minutes (pH 2.15). Lactic is a great, gentle treatment but left on too long it will only irritate the skin, it can do its job just as effectively with the shorter timing even at higher pH levels and lower concentrations. I would rather use it more frequently than one long treatment. Lactic works very well with Malic Acid, they seem to have a synergistic effect, processing the skin with too many different acids too frequently will only cause more inflamation and can lead to more breakouts. Always remember to use a sunblock after ANY chemical treatment, and treat your skin gently !!!

Richard, how frequently can you use the lactic acid peel? I have been using 40% from puredemming.

And is it ok to use under the eyes? Thanks in advance for the reply.

James

Hi, I don't know the pH of the lactic you are using, you said it is 40% but it can range from .23 to 3.5 ph the higher the pH the less irritating ( also less effective ). I use the strong stuff on myself and apply it 2 to 3 times per week, but only for 1 or 2 minutes. I do use it under my eyes, but be very careful not ot get it in your eyes, keep them closed tightlly when rinsing too. Keep a bottle of saline handy in case you need to rinse your eyes. It has done the best under my eyes of any mild peel, it made the skin tighter and also helped the discoloration. I also use a 4% hydroquinone cream after and of course a sunblock when I'm outside. I use it before I go to bed and never see much redness in the morning.

By the way, for all of you who use acid based products, there is a small pocket sized pH tester made by Hanna that is not too $$ and it is very accurate. I use them for test large volumes of base products and they're pretty good. For the finished products we use the more $$$ benchtop equipment. But it is a good investmement just to test your products, especially if you're using homemade mixtures or even the vinegar treatments. I buy them from proaquatica.com and they are very helpful if you have any problems using them, I think they start at about $39.00

Richard - thanks for posting!!

For deeply pigmented skin, do you suggest lactic or TCA?

Hello Maya, I have many Asian clients( also very dark African clients) who hyperpigment easily, and I have had great success using a 25% TCA then when completely healed we maintain it with Lactic Acid, and of course SUNBLOCK !! Using 4% hydroquinone before and also after the peel heals helps greatly too. Some people are sensitive to hydroquinone, so usre it once a day first then you can use it twice daily if there is no irritation. I use it after the lactic peel, I think it penetrates better, but it is best try a small test area first. If you don't use a sunblock the hyperpigmentation will reappear very quickly !

Thanks for your reply Richard. O:)

I heard several negative reports on hydroquinone before and it scared me off using it. You feel it's safe long term? It's precription only at 4% isn't it?

I know some have suggested the use of retin-a in between peels ... how do you feel about that? (Retin-a has always irritated my skin and caused breakouts).

Also, does TCA have different PH levels in the same way as lactic? (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question!)

Thanks! biggrin.gif

I know about the sunblock and do use it, but I will be out by the beach soon. How long should one wait before going out in the sun after using a 55% Lactic Peel? I've only done four peels so far over a span of one month, and I tan very, very, well and have olive skin (if that helps).

Hi Maya, In the US 4% Hydroquinone is byRx only, but you can order it from Canada where it is an "over the counter cream" The best one is Lustra, it is available with and without sunscreen. I have a 2% that is quite safe and gentle "Hydra Q Fade cream" and it contains a sunscreen too. It works quite well and no RX is required for it. Pregnant or nursing women should not use any Hydroquinone ( no TCA either ) Even tho the 2% is my own product I use the 4% Lustra. The only problem I have ever seen with either strength is a slight irritation, some people are just more sensitive to it than others. and always use a titanium based sunblock when outside.

I forgot to answer your other question about TCA. We never buffer TCA when it is used for a peel, so it should be pure TCA diluted with purified water. TCA is a self neutralizing acid so if you buffer it, it will not do its job. It will not cause a "peel" because the acid will be neutralized before it can destroy the top layers of skin ! I still always neutralize after the peel, just to be sure all the action of the acid has stopped. As far as Retin A or Renova, I am not a big fan of the retinoids, I think they cause more irritation than anything. I'm sure some people do get good results but it hasn't worked for me, I always felt like I had a sunburn.

Hi Speeedracer, You can go out in the sun as long as you use a sunblock on your face, I wear a hat too. I'm only a short distance from you and last week(summer was here ) was out by the pool and wore a sunblock, and was fine ( I had done a Lactic the nite before ) Just reapply the sunblock after swimming to be sure you're protected. You'll still tan even with a 45 sunblock, but you won't burn.

Richard, for how long will skin be more sensitive to sunlight after a peel, tca or lactic?

Also, the area below my eyes is still a little red from a glycolic acid peel i did a month ago -- it kind of looks like i have a mild sunburn. Would it help or hurt the appearance of my skin to do a lactic peel?

Hi John, I am a sunblock person !! Most skin stays sensitive to the sun for a few months after a TCA. If you are still red after doing a glycolic peel one month ago, I think you over processed the peel. Glycolics can be quite harsh. You can use the Lactic but stick to the lower % and higher pH and only leave it on for a few minutes ! Always wear sunblock !!!

Thanks Richard for your answers...I dont reapply my sunblock, just slap it on in the am and I'm out. I've never burned in my life. My main concern is that I hear of horror stories of people doing a peel, go out in the sun and end up with more hyperpig than they started off with. Everyone is differnent, but thanks again for youre responses.

What a cool modality. I know that if I did lactic acid peels 2-3 times a week I would at least feel like I was continuously working on my looks. That was a problem with doing peels 7-10 days apart--I would get so antsy in the downtime that I'd start feeling helpless. And if it would curtail most of the irritation... Hmmm...

Richard, what would you think about retin-a while doing this?

I would not suggest using Retin A while using the Lactic Acid, you can use Malic Acid along with the Lactic, but using Retin A daily along with these acids may be too much.

Benzamycin is a combination of 3% benzoyl peroxide and 5% erythromycin ( an antibiotic ) and has shown very promising results, but again because BP can cause irritation and erythromycin can cuase hypersensitivity to the sun, I would not try both regimens at the same time unless you check with a Doc.

so acne almost gone. red or like brownishish hyperpigmentation though.. would chemical peels help? nd how many to make big diff?

umm and is a lactic peel the same as a chemical peel?

thanks