Poll: When did your IB end? PLEASE VOTE :(

When did your initial breakout stop?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. My IB lasted for:

• I never got an initial breakout!
    • Mine only lasted a short time; the first few weeks and then I was clear
    • The first two months or so
    • Much more than 2 months

Hey. I'm going through a REALLY rough breakout right now. I'm at the end of my second month - I've completed 7 weeks and just started my eighth week.

I'm so down on myself...I've been skipping classes and avoiding any social interaction at any cost. My doctor and dermatologist both said Accutane will suck for the first two months, generally, and then in the third month things normally clear up and it starts taking effect. I made a poll to get an idea of how long people's IBs lasted because I can't do this alone.

I'm in the exact same situation as you. just finished 2 months. It would help me a lot to see how long your IB lasted, just to give me some hope. cause i need it now:(

My initial breakout was a little different.

To begin, here's a description of what my skin was like prior to taken accutane:

Oily with smaller blemishes around my mouth (mainly whiteheads), and cycstic blemishes along my jawline.

Within a week of taking the drug, my mouth area went absolutely crazy (whiteheads all over the place and the worst it has ever been). This area cleared up after 2 weeks however, and it's been practically clear since the initial outbreak (the best it's been in years).

My jawline however, didn't go crazy within the first week, but probably within the 2nd, and it lasted a little bit longer (with the painful cystic blemishes - once again, probably the worst it's ever been). This probably lasted 2-3 weeks. I still got some blemished along my jawline into the later months of treatment (single ones though, nothing like the IB), but by month 5 it was pretty much clear.

The weird part was when my forehead went crazy. My forehead was never really a major problem, but it had a breakout for a few weeks like 2-3 months into treatment. It lasted a few weeks and has pretty much been clear ever since.

So, to sum it up, different areas of my face went through different time periods of breaking out while on the treatment, but most of them only seemed to last 2-3 weeks.

Now, i know first hand that the IB is basically a time where you wish you could disappear on an island and not have to see a soul. Like you, i also wanted to hide from everyone and avoid contact with people as much as i possibly could.. But, unfortunately that's probably not a practical option, as we have to face people on a daily basis. So my advice to you is just hang in there. And as tough as this part of the treatment is, remember that it's for the best and before you know it your skin will likely be greatly improved, and these times will be nothing more than memory.

My initial breakout was a little different.

To begin, here's a description of what my skin was like prior to taken accutane:

Oily with smaller blemishes around my mouth (mainly whiteheads), and cycstic blemishes along my jawline.

Within a week of taking the drug, my mouth area went absolutely crazy (whiteheads all over the place and the worst it has ever been). This area cleared up after 2 weeks however, and it's been practically clear since the initial outbreak (the best it's been in years).

My jawline however, didn't go crazy within the first week, but probably within the 2nd, and it lasted a little bit longer (with the painful cystic blemishes - once again, probably the worst it's ever been). This probably lasted 2-3 weeks. I still got some blemished along my jawline into the later months of treatment (single ones though, nothing like the IB), but by month 5 it was pretty much clear.

The weird part was when my forehead went crazy. My forehead was never really a major problem, but it had a breakout for a few weeks like 2-3 months into treatment. It lasted a few weeks and has pretty much been clear ever since.

So, to sum it up, different areas of my face went through different time periods of breaking out while on the treatment, but most of them only seemed to last 2-3 weeks.

Now, i know first hand that the IB is basically a time where you wish you could disappear on an island and not have to see a soul. Like you, i also wanted to hide from everyone and avoid contact with people as much as i possibly could.. But, unfortunately that's probably not a practical option, as we have to face people on a daily basis. So my advice to you is just hang in there. And as tough as this part of the treatment is, remember that it's for the best and before you know it your skin will likely be greatly improved, and these times will be nothing more than memory.

How long have you been on acuutane? And how is it now+

It's so good to hear that I'm not alone. And yeah, I'd wish i could go with you to that island,haha:)

It's so good to hear that I'm not alone. And yeah, I'd wish i could go with you to that island,haha:)

I've got about 2 weeks left (It will be a 5 month treatment - 150 day supply to be exact).

I'm going to try to get my Dr. to let me go 1 more month, but my skins pretty clear so i'm not sure she'll allow me to.

I've been on a low dose - 2 months of 20mg/day and 3 months of 40mg/day. I weigh about 125lb.

I had to take a 3 week pause right before the 3 month mark...

My first dose was 20mg/day and everything was fine. The 2nd dose we bumped it up to 40mg/day. But i had a lab come back and my liver was slightly abnormal, so they had to pause until it went back to normal. I was then put back on the 20mg/day for another month, the lab tests came back perfect so she put me back on 40mg/day for the "last month," but like i said i'm going to try to convince her for one more month.

Currently, my skin is greatly improved. Like i said, originally i would always have some blemishes around my mouth area and along my jawline. I can't even tell you the last time i had a blemish around my mouth now? Since the inital breakout, like i said which was very bad - but so worth it!, it's really stayed totally clear. My jawline (which was the area that had more of the cystic acne) still had some blemishes the whole way along but it was drastically improved, to the point where i might have only 1 or 2 blemishes on my entire face by the end of month 4. And right now, i only have one blemish - on the back of my neck (which was also an area that i initally always had blemshes pop up at). My face is basically clear, excluding some red marks along the jawline - which will begin to fade and disappear after treatment. So all in all, accutane has been fantastic for me.

I've got about 2 weeks left (It will be a 5 month treatment - 150 day supply to be exact).

I'm going to try to get my Dr. to let me go 1 more month, but my skins pretty clear so i'm not sure she'll allow me to.

I've been on a low dose - 2 months of 20mg/day and 3 months of 40mg/day. I weigh about 125lb.

I had to take a 3 week pause right before the 3 month mark...

My first dose was 20mg/day and everything was fine. The 2nd dose we bumped it up to 40mg/day. But i had a lab come back and my liver was slightly abnormal, so they had to pause until it went back to normal. I was then put back on the 20mg/day for another month, the lab tests came back perfect so she put me back on 40mg/day for the "last month," but like i said i'm going to try to convince her for one more month.

Currently, my skin is greatly improved. Like i said, originally i would always have some blemishes around my mouth area and along my jawline. I can't even tell you the last time i had a blemish around my mouth now? Since the inital breakout, like i said which was very bad - but so worth it!, it's really stayed totally clear. My jawline (which was the area that had more of the cystic acne) still had some blemishes the whole way along but it was drastically improved, to the point where i might have only 1 or 2 blemishes on my entire face by the end of month 4. And right now, i only have one blemish - on the back of my neck (which was also an area that i initally always had blemshes pop up at). My face is basically clear, excluding some red marks along the jawline - which will begin to fade and disappear after treatment. So all in all, accutane has been fantastic for me.

But for how long did your IB last? How long did it take before you started to see results?

:)

The awful IB lasted 1 week. Broke out for 4 months before it kicked in. Now I'm not even done with accutane and it seems my body is immune to it ( lol ) I break out alot

But for how long did your IB last? How long did it take before you started to see results?

:)

As i mentioned in my original post, it really varied for different areas of my face.

The first IB took place around my mouth/chin region. Before starting accutane i'd call that region of my face bad. Within a week on accutane, it went to horrible (worse than it was before accutane). It stayed bad for about 2 weeks. After that, it cleared and has pretty much remained clear and great.

As my mouth area was finishing the IB, the jawline went crazy (worse than it ever was before accutane). Once again, this probably lasted about 2-3 weeks. After that time period it calmed down a ton, but i was still getting a couple blemishes their from the end of the IB until 4-5 months into treatment.

My forehead (which never was a problem before accutane) decided to breakout a couple months into treatment. This also lasted a few weeks.

So pretty much every region got really bad, but ended up getting really good. But my entire face didn't breakout at that same time. Each region had its own breakout.

My mouth/chin area, which brokeout first, has basically been flawless since the end of month 1.

Other areas noticed improvements into months 2, but kind of remained constant until the end of month 4 - where i've basically only had one blemish on my face at a time.

i am 3 weeks into accutane treatment, got some initial breakout in the 2nd month but now slowly healing.. (pus has started to drain out from pimple)

the thing is now i finally started to notice that my face is becoming less oily

i'm on 10mg a day..

norwegian_girl, persevere on!! i'm sure accutane will work for you cos it does for over 95% of people!!

i am 3 weeks into accutane treatment, got some initial breakout in the 2nd month but now slowly healing.. (pus has started to drain out from pimple)

the thing is now i finally started to notice that my face is becoming less oily

i'm on 10mg a day..

norwegian_girl, persevere on!! i'm sure accutane will work for you cos it does for over 95% of people!!

You mean 3 months into the treatment?

I'm on 10 mg a day too:) Started on 30mg(I am 54kg). But my derm decreased my dose when I got a BAD breakout. I'm in my week 9 now, and I look so much better now than what I did lets say 2 -3 weeks ago(when my breakout was on its top). So I guess the drug is doing its job. The thing is, i look worse now than when I started. But I really hope that it kicks in for real in month 3. I've read so many times that this is the month when most people start seeing results. I just pray to God this is true:)

I got my IB two weeks into treatment and it lasted about a week an a half. Then after that I got less and less actives every day.. I am in my 6th week and I have only one new active with a lot of marks but my face feels soft and smooth (40 mg per day). I do have a few old cysts that have shrunk a lot but very determined to stay on my face-since the IB. Overall, I do see improvements but hopefully the next month will be good to me. Good luck!

Hey I have some IB hope for u!

I had a HORRID breakout, mine lasted all in all about 2 months.

My friend though, took accutane last year and her IB lasted a really long time, like 3 months.

I had a pretty bad initial breakout for a few weeks. Now I'm down to only two pimples or so on my whole face, yay!

Well I didn't have any IB in the first month of my course although my face started getting drier and drier from the first week. Then during my second month i got a horrible break-out with 1 HUGE cyst, 2-3 moderately big zits on my face and 1 painful zit on my butt. Now I am into my second week of my third month and i currently have 1 active cyst on my right cheekbone. I'm frustrated, still wondering if accutane is working for me. :(

I'm entering my 3rd month now. Can anyone share their experiences from this month, please:)

I've had a horrible breakout for 2 months now, but i think it's about to turn now, at least i hope.

Just wondered if any of you have any stories to share, how was your 3rd month??

Thanks anyway:)

I am ten days into my third month and haven't seen any significant change yet. right now i have like one zit that is going down, other places are clear, only dark marks and my complexion is bad bad bad.How about u?

I'm entering my 3rd month now. Can anyone share their experiences from this month, please:)

I've had a horrible breakout for 2 months now, but i think it's about to turn now, at least i hope.

Just wondered if any of you have any stories to share, how was your 3rd month??

Thanks anyway:)

I'm just starting my third month too and I *think* I've braved the storm. I haven't broken out in any cysts in about a week and my old zits have died and flaked off. Now all that's left are red marks and 1 little zit that barely bothers me on my jawline.

Never mind, false alert. I am breaking out again, as usual. 2 months into Accutane and I'm still breaking out...I can't take this anymore. :(