Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK so reading around this place I'm truly amazed at how I can relate to what so many of you are saying. I've only in the last year or so (having been struggling with Acne on my own for 8 years) started to open up and try and deal with my skin. It was just such a source of constant embarassment and shame... oh and dont get me started on mirrors haha...

I'm due to be starting Roaccutane in the next few weeks. Nice and timely as it's coinciding with a new relationship that I'm embarking upon and am so so very excited about. I just really dont want to scare him off but feel like I ought to explain about the (inevitable) IB and why I wont be able to drink for the next few weeks (as well as any of the other side effects I may experience).

Because this relationship really feels different to all that have come previously I really want to open up on this topic. I know that if it's meant to be it shouldn't phase him. That's the rational part of speaking though. The emotional, sick of my skin and generally low about the whole situation me is petrified to bring it up.

So I guess any suggestions/support/experience would be greatly appreciated.

xx

Good luck with your new relationship! That's all I wanted to say really. It's great to read about people with acne finding lovers, cause I know it's just as easy for them to do so as for anyone else - they just don't think so themselves, and therefor don't even try. Why would this guy care about you going on Roaccutane? If he already knows you have acne problems, he obviously won't mind. He'll most likely support you treating it. I used to have a super hot girlfriend for almost 2 years I think and I had acne during the whole time. I didn't even try and treat it back then, and she never said anything or showed any "disgust" whatsoever. We never spoke of it, but I kind of wish we had - so yeah, I definitely think you should be open about it. It'll just make things so much easier, if you can talk about it with the dude. Sometimes, for example, I had a pimple on my neck and that can be really fucking painful, so when my girlfriend touched me there I'd go like AAAH! but I didn't tell her why. So not talking about the acne probably made her think I was slightly insane sometimes.

Just some random thoughts, hehe.

I dont think you have to tell him..if he breaks it off with him bc of an IB he's an ass anways

What's IB, by the way? :shifty:

Initial Breakout, when it gets worse before it gets better.

not for me :surprised:

I think that if you trust and like this person...he won't mind. I know if I a guy I began to date went on new medication or anything that affected them in some way...I'd feel happy that they had enough trust in me to let me know. Honesty is important, no matter if it's the first few weeks of a relationship or years down the road.

Oh, and congratulations!

Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated :D

I think the bottom line, as you say Kairasa, is trust and honesty. I've been in relationships before where I've hidden all this, refused to let my bf see me without makeup etc and I think it just created a barrier both emotionall and physically.

I dont want that with this new guy cos like I say this feels really different. So I think I'm not going to make a big deal about it all but will bring it up when I feel comfortable talking about it.

**fingers**crossed** it all goes well.

OMG im in the same exact situation, ive been in a relationship with a girl for about two weeks but i've liked her for a while. i recently got put on tretinoin (retin-a) which comes with an IB also, and i wanna tell her that i might have an IB so it doesnt scare her away, but i dont know how to tell her..

ok ive been reading about alot of people worrying about what their significant other thinks of their acne or would think of your acne if it got worse, for example an IB. I really can not believe that this is actually a topic for conversation!! I was with my girl during the worst acne i have ever had, and never did she get disgusted or threaten to leave me, she supported me fully and helped me find things to help. If someone really loves you, there is no way in hell they will let this effect the relationship!!! NO WAY IN HELL!!!! Love is blind, cliche but very true!! ladies and gentlemen please stop worrying about this, i can see having acne being tough for single individuals because of the insecurities in approaching someone (eventhough all, yes all of the girls and guys i know dont care about acne, there are so many more qualities to an individual). people, if ur in a good relationship acne is not an issue! i know first hand

Think of all the people in the world that suffer from illness and injury. For example soldiers coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan, there are many that are amputees and have disfiguring injuries, but do their wives leave them........hell to the no! i know many guys in this situation. Their wives stay with them thru thick and thin. Love is unconditional for those truly in love.

Think of all the people in the world that suffer from illness and injury. For example soldiers coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan, there are many that are amputees and have disfiguring injuries, but do their wives leave them........hell to the no! i know many guys in this situation. Their wives stay with them thru thick and thin. Love is unconditional for those truly in love.

Not trying to rain on someone's parade, but:

I know of disfigured and amputeed soldiers also coming from war. I also know of plenty of instances where their spouse or girlfriend left them because of the condition they face ( not always clear cut about physical disfurgement, it can be that and dealing with personality changes war and/or war injuries do to the soldier ).

Bottom line is, try not to generalize by saying love is unconditional.

It isn't in many cases.