Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarabear

Stopping the Regimen

Has anyone ever stopped the regimen completely and abruptly and just cleansed and moisturized? I am attempting this because Dan's regimen made my skin red, flakey, and irritated. Throughout the whole 3 months, I had at least 1 pimple per day if not more. I'm wondering if BP is now causing acne for me. I was wondering how soon you break out after stopping BP completely?

I know I will soon, but I'm just trying to get my bearings so I'm ready for it!

I'm going to add some other type of regimen eventually, but BP is just so drying and irritating. I really hate the bleaching effect too.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone ever stopped the regimen completely and abruptly and just cleansed and moisturized? I am attempting this because Dan's regimen made my skin red, flakey, and irritated. Throughout the whole 3 months, I had at least 1 pimple per day if not more. I'm wondering if BP is now causing acne for me. I was wondering how soon you break out after stopping BP completely?

I'm going to add some other type of regimen eventually, but BP is just so drying and irritating. I really hate the bleaching effect too.

What do you guys think?

Thats your choice,did you start with a very small amount of BP?

You should not quit,we all want clear skin but if thats your choice,hey I cant stop you

My skin is sensitive but it can tolerate small amount of BP,& use alot of moisturizer

Hope that helped

Thanks & Respect

I would only stop using BP if your active acne has subsided. I followed the regimen for 2 years. Now I don't really get breakouts anymore so I am just using the cleanser and moisturizer. However, I am thinking about stopping the cleanser as well and just letting my skin repair itself now. I have noticed that if I don't do anything to my face it looks pretty good.

3 months is a long period of time, i would cut back into a moisturizing cleanser and alot ot moisturizer. bp does alot of damage, i see alot of guys and girls get the same symptoms: redness, more acne, etc. list goes on.

3 months is a long period of time, i would cut back into a moisturizing cleanser and alot ot moisturizer. bp does alot of damage, i see alot of guys and girls get the same symptoms: redness, more acne, etc. list goes on.

It's easy to point out bad, But how about ppl who had great success with the regimen ? I started regimen in June, it took me good 3 months to get clear. It was very frustrating for 3 months, because I experienced side effects like red face, dryness, breaking out every day. Now i am using regimen only at night (1/2 pump bp) and aha. It's working great for me.

I had acne for 4 years and finnaly i am enjoyin my appearance.

Sorry for my english and have a great day guys ;)

Here we go again.

Dan's Regimen isn't for everyone. I couldn't handle it either, but to completely dismiss Benzoyl Peroxide as a proven successful treatment for acne is ridiculous.

What do you guys think?

After about a month, I have worked my way up to one full pump every evening. After about 4-5 days in a row of this, though, my face starts getting red. At this point I take a day off, and then go back to evenings only for 4-5 days in a row. I started out using the regimen every other evening, only a 1/2 of a pump, and slowly building up. Once my face was not getting too red anymore from this, then I advanced to 2 days on, 1 day off with only 1/2 a pump. Once my skin got used to this, it was 3 days on, 1 day off. After a couple of weeks I started using 3/4 of a pump, and now am at a full pump. And when I say day, remember, I am only using in the evenings.

Currently flaking has gotten a little worse around my chin since I have started so many days in a row, but the Olay Complete and Cetaphil mixture does help. I just need an application in the morning, and then one midday. I found when I overdo the moisturizer in one application, though, that causes me to break out more. I found with using Cetaphil that there is a breakpoint where too much feels way too oily and my skin will break out, so I need to temper it a little with the Olay Complete. Olay Complete alone unfortunately does not work. I am considering getting jojoba oil to try out with the Olay.

Currently, I have been still getting a pimple here and there, but they go away pretty quickly. I feel that my acne is now under control. I am not breaking out nearly as much as I was just before starting the regimen. Now I am just waiting for my face to not get as red with the BP, and for my existing acne to go away. I think some of us just have very sensitive skin, myself included, and the skin just needs time to adjust to using BP. For myself, the recommendation of starting out with every evening was too much, but since I am slowly building up and not getting too aggressive with my skin, it is thanking me. I previously used Ziana gel in the evenings the same way (as recommended by my dermatologist). It sucks because the treatment/medicine will not really work its best until you use it at least every evening, but you have to build up to that. If you go too fast, you will irritate your skin, and that can cause more breakouts too. You just need patience, and the knowledge that 3 months may be too short of a time span for you because of your sensitive skin. I am in this boat, and I am hoping that by 3 months I will stop getting redness from BP after using 1 full pump every evening. If I can get to this point, I know my skin will really start getting better after that.

I have been lurking a lot on the boards. Everyone here wants perfect skin and wants to use the core regimen + other products like AHA as quickly as possible for clear skin. I read a lot of people use the AHA, and I tried it once, but damn, it is pretty potent stuff! Maybe not for Dan, or other people who have been on the core regimen for months or years, but for me it is really strong! I am going to hold off on using AHA until I can at least use BP every night without redness. I think too many new people to the regimen are experimenting with too many extras that Dan uses or talks about, and they are losing sight of the core regimen! Things like AHA are more for perfecting your skin and pores, getting rid of old fading acne, or spot treatment for A (as in one, or two) pimple that is forming, but I don't know if it is a good idea to use it while you are in the early stages of clearing up your skin with several pimples??? That is more for Dan to answer, but I am not going to use it as an extra treatment until my face has really cleared up and my skin is fully use to BP. I think many of us (myself included) should not lose sight of the core regimen that is for clearing up your skin, and I really think that Dan should explain the use of AHA more on the site since many people seem (at least to me) to be using it too soon, or confused about how to use it, and I really think that the recommendation of waiting one month before using AHA is a little misleading because not everyone can ramp up their BP use in one month like Dan's timeline recommends. I cannot even use BP every evening after a month on the regimen, let alone 2 pumps of BP 2x a day every day. That clearly means my skin will probably not hold up to AHA, but many seem to be using AHA at this same point. I know Dan also says your skin should be used to BP on the regimen before using AHA, but by putting a month time stamp on the AHA use, I think people are ignoring the fact that their skin needs to be used to BP too.

Tara, it really sucks that your skin is breaking out more. Note that all of the above I typed is not addressed to you. I am not sure what you are doing exactly, but when I used Ziana gel everyday and tried to force my skin to toughen up, the same things happened to me (redness and more breakouts). When I started using it every other day, and then 2 on/1 off, and then 3 on/1 off, and trying to control my skin redness, my skin was able to start adjusting slowly to the medicine. Sometimes, if I took a day off and my skin was still pretty red, I would take a second day off. My breakouts did not improve right away, but in time they did start improving once I was able to start ramping up my usage more, but that took a lot of time (5-6 months). I think you just need to start listening to your skin a little more. I have been using the BP as I used the Ziana gel, and things are working nicely for me so far, so you might want to try this approach as well.

What do you guys think?

After about a month, I have worked my way up to one full pump every evening. After about 4-5 days in a row of this, though, my face starts getting red. At this point I take a day off, and then go back to evenings only for 4-5 days in a row. I started out using the regimen every other evening, only a 1/2 of a pump, and slowly building up. Once my face was not getting too red anymore from this, then I advanced to 2 days on, 1 day off with only 1/2 a pump. Once my skin got used to this, it was 3 days on, 1 day off. After a couple of weeks I started using 3/4 of a pump, and now am at a full pump. And when I say day, remember, I am only using in the evenings.

Currently flaking has gotten a little worse around my chin since I have started so many days in a row, but the Olay Complete and Cetaphil mixture does help. I just need an application in the morning, and then one midday. I found when I overdo the moisturizer in one application, though, that causes me to break out more. I found with using Cetaphil that there is a breakpoint where too much feels way too oily and my skin will break out, so I need to temper it a little with the Olay Complete. Olay Complete alone unfortunately does not work. I am considering getting jojoba oil to try out with the Olay.

Currently, I have been still getting a pimple here and there, but they go away pretty quickly. I feel that my acne is now under control. I am not breaking out nearly as much as I was just before starting the regimen. Now I am just waiting for my face to not get as red with the BP, and for my existing acne to go away. I think some of us just have very sensitive skin, myself included, and the skin just needs time to adjust to using BP. For myself, the recommendation of starting out with every evening was too much, but since I am slowly building up and not getting too aggressive with my skin, it is thanking me. I previously used Ziana gel in the evenings the same way (as recommended by my dermatologist). It sucks because the treatment/medicine will not really work its best until you use it at least every evening, but you have to build up to that. If you go too fast, you will irritate your skin, and that can cause more breakouts too. You just need patience, and the knowledge that 3 months may be too short of a time span for you because of your sensitive skin. I am in this boat, and I am hoping that by 3 months I will stop getting redness from BP after using 1 full pump every evening. If I can get to this point, I know my skin will really start getting better after that.

I have been lurking a lot on the boards. Everyone here wants perfect skin and wants to use the core regimen + other products like AHA as quickly as possible for clear skin. I read a lot of people use the AHA, and I tried it once, but damn, it is pretty potent stuff! Maybe not for Dan, or other people who have been on the core regimen for months or years, but for me it is really strong! I am going to hold off on using AHA until I can at least use BP every night without redness. I think too many new people to the regimen are experimenting with too many extras that Dan uses or talks about, and they are losing sight of the core regimen! Things like AHA are more for perfecting your skin and pores, getting rid of old fading acne, or spot treatment for A (as in one, or two) pimple that is forming, but I don't know if it is a good idea to use it while you are in the early stages of clearing up your skin with several pimples??? That is more for Dan to answer, but I am not going to use it as an extra treatment until my face has really cleared up and my skin is fully use to BP. I think many of us (myself included) should not lose sight of the core regimen that is for clearing up your skin, and I really think that Dan should explain the use of AHA more on the site since many people seem (at least to me) to be using it too soon, or confused about how to use it, and I really think that the recommendation of waiting one month before using AHA is a little misleading because not everyone can ramp up their BP use in one month like Dan's timeline recommends. I cannot even use BP every evening after a month on the regimen, let alone 2 pumps of BP 2x a day every day. That clearly means my skin will probably not hold up to AHA, but many seem to be using AHA at this same point. I know Dan also says your skin should be used to BP on the regimen before using AHA, but by putting a month time stamp on the AHA use, I think people are ignoring the fact that their skin needs to be used to BP too.

Tara, it really sucks that your skin is breaking out more. Note that all of the above I typed is not addressed to you. I am not sure what you are doing exactly, but when I used Ziana gel everyday and tried to force my skin to toughen up, the same things happened to me (redness and more breakouts). When I started using it every other day, and then 2 on/1 off, and then 3 on/1 off, and trying to control my skin redness, my skin was able to start adjusting slowly to the medicine. Sometimes, if I took a day off and my skin was still pretty red, I would take a second day off. My breakouts did not improve right away, but in time they did start improving once I was able to start ramping up my usage more, but that took a lot of time (5-6 months). I think you just need to start listening to your skin a little more. I have been using the BP as I used the Ziana gel, and things are working nicely for me so far, so you might want to try this approach as well.

Thanks for all the responses. So I have been off BP for 3 solid days. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to break out, but my face looks much better these past 3 days then any of the days on the regimen. I'm using Purpose Cleanser and Complex 15 moisturizer 2x daily. After about a week or so, once my face has recovered from the peeling and redness completely, I'm going to try a salicylic acid cleanser to see if that keeps things under control. Since my acne is mild, I'm hoping that will work. I just can't stay on BP forever. It's too drying and caused my face so much irritation. Wish me luck!

It is too bad you are not going to let your skin recover, and then give the BP another chance just to see (especially since your acne is not severe). How is your new regimen going?

honestly dude i recomend u use cetaphil antibacterial cleansing bar it works great man and it doesnt dry... give it a shot dude trust me it will work

What do you guys think?

I agree with someone else who said that too bad that you won't let your skin take a break of the bp for a while then go back and try it again. Skin will get used to it, I tried using 5% bp before switching to Dan's 2.5%, the effect of the 5% gel was horrific on my skin, redness, flaking drying etc, I hated it so much and thought anything's better than this. So I shyed away from the thought of any more bp but a friend of mine started using the 2.5% gel from Dan's line and she got great results and interestingly enough we both had started off on the 5% bp at the same time previously and both of us went off it again at the same time. When she told me that she tried the 2.5% I decided to give it a go again and I'm in my second week and so far I think my skin is adjusting far better and quicker due previous bp usage so my skin is now getting used to it. Maybe your skin will eventually get used to it. Who knows but I guess the choice is ultimatley yours, this time I'm adding in lots of jojoba oil with my moisturiser, that could also be key in my skin getting used to the bp. I think everyone needs to be using that stuff, it's wonderful. Well those are just my thoughts hope it's of help to you.

Regimen isn't for everyone. If after 3 months, you're still getting pimple(s) daily, then it's clearly not working for you. I wasn't as patient, as I only waited a month and couldn't take all the damage it was doing to my skin. I've been off the regimen for almost 3 months now and I'm completely clear now. I just wash my face twice a day with a gentle cleanser. Every night, I apply a thin layer of AHA before my moisturizer. And I'm looking a whole lot better now. Not only does the AHA keep my pores unplugged and skin clear, but it also helped with all the acne scars I got from the BP - since this stuff delays healing process. I'm glad you finally decided to stop the regimen and move on. Good luck!

If the bp is damaging your skin then you are using too much or you are one of the rare individuals who just cannot handle bp. Even for the first three months, start off using very little, like half a pump each time. Stick with the regimen and do not quit! A few pimples is nothing like what your skin was before the regimen, right? I struggled with acne for my first year on the regimen, but now can skip days without problems and i do not even have to moisturize. Just stick with it and you will find your way to clear skin, trust me. It just takes time, and sometimes a lot of time. I had a red face for the first eight months easily, but now my skin is not a hint red, even right after I apply bp. It takes some people longer than others but remember, bp creates oxygen, killing bacteria. Stick with it and it will pay off. Do not underestimate how the quantity of bp can effect the redness and drying, etc. Just lower the dosage if this is happening; clearly your skin is not ready for the amount you are using.