Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyHockeyRunner

Wondering if I should take it

I'm really scared to take this drug Accutane I just got back from the Dermatoligist and he said I should be put on Accutane and I have to go get my blood drawn before I can start.

Now I have some questions... I was wondering what kind of effects it has on someone that works out everyday and is in varsity track and hockey would I still be able to perform or would I have to take a break?? Also can I wear my contacts while on this drug?? Why are people having side affects after 10 years after using the stuff?? What are the percentages of people getting sick or depressed from this drug???

I don't really know if this drug is worth all the risks and I want to do big things in my life and don't want to be limited by this stuff that I don't even need except to look better.

Just for extra information I am 16 Male about 160lbs very active and not to self concious about my acne (unless I really breakout) like before picture day or something. Want to be in millitary so I have to be in top physical shape... SO this stuff better not screw me over!! :confused: ...

Please help me and reassure me ha ha

Should i take it or not? Thanks

I'm really scared to take this drug Accutane I just got back from the Dermatoligist and he said I should be put on Accutane and I have to go get my blood drawn before I can start.

Now I have some questions... I was wondering what kind of effects it has on someone that works out everyday and is in varsity track and hockey would I still be able to perform or would I have to take a break?? Also can I wear my contacts while on this drug?? Why are people having side affects after 10 years after using the stuff?? What are the percentages of people getting sick or depressed from this drug???

I don't really know if this drug is worth all the risks and I want to do big things in my life and don't want to be limited by this stuff that I don't even need except to look better.

Just for extra information I am 16 Male about 160lbs very active and not to self concious about my acne (unless I really breakout) like before picture day or something. Want to be in millitary so I have to be in top physical shape... SO this stuff better not screw me over!! :confused: ...

Please help me and reassure me ha ha

Should i take it or not? Thanks

Have you pretty much tried all the other medications?

As far as your physical activity goes, one of the reported side effects is that your bones could be more susceptible to fractures. Joint and muscle pain is also considered a side effect.

With that being said, there have been people who were physically active and experienced no such problems.

There's a good chance your eyes will get dry, which could have an effect on your contacts. But i'm sure many can attest that with the right treatment this can be managed.

And as far as the mental stuff goes - i don't know and i don't really think anyone knows? I'm nearing the end of my treatment and i've actually been in a better mood on it then i was before(when my skin was poor). When my Dr. talked to me about that part of the drug, she said, "quite frankly i think acne is the cause of depression, not the drug." But nobody knows for sure so you simply will not find a clear cut answer on that one.

Now personally, and i can't emphasize enough that this is just one guy speaking, you are very young and you have stated that you are not self-conscious about your acne. Quite frankly, i'm not sure that a "last resort" drug is your best option at this time. But like i said, that's just one guys opinion. At the end of the day it's your decision.

By the way, so far i've had great success with the drug. And if it lasts, it will literally be a life changer for me. So it's not like i'm anti-accutane or anything. But if you were my little brother and you told me that you weren't self-conscious about your skin, then i'd probably question whether you should take it or not either.

You're going to get answers from other members saying Accutane has changed their lives. The only problem is that Accutane has changed their lives in different ways. One group insists it's a miracle drug, while the other much smaller group will speak about their severe side effects, and cloud your mind with thoughts of anxiety.

Read all the user reviews. You will need to ask yourself some questions before beginning treatment. Is my acne severe enough to where I need Accutane? Can I live with any negative side effects that may arise? Do I believe that I will outgrow my acne in the future? You're the same age that I was when I tried Accutane. Dad took me off of it for concerns about my psychological state. Only advice I can give is to make the decision you're most comfortable with. And I wouldn't provide much help answering the questions you asked, because I was only using Accutane for three weeks. Don't let one side influence you too much. Do what is right for you.

Right. This drug is something you'll have to make your mind up about because you're going to see both sides of the fence. We have no idea which of the side effects you'll experience, if any, because those of us that have taken it have all reacted differently. Read through some Accutane blogs and posts as well as peer reviewed clinical studies on the internet. The choice to go on the course is a personal one.

The stuff I used before was really bad and didn't do much of anything if you're reffering to the use of antibiotics or something than no I haven't tried that stuff, but I have tried lots of other products such as ProActiv and other stuff like it and nothing worked..

Is there any kind of natural thing I could take instead of going through Accutane I mean like a tea or something? lol!

And

thank you for the answers to some of my questions. Guys I think I will just have to sleep on it and see what i think in a few days.. Some stuff was promising to here and others negative but I will take it all into account and think about it.

Thanks again :razz:

The stuff I used before was really bad and didn't do much of anything if you're reffering to the use of antibiotics or something than no I haven't tried that stuff, but I have tried lots of other products such as ProActiv and other stuff like it and nothing worked..

Is there any kind of natural thing I could take instead of going through Accutane I mean like a tea or something? lol!

And

thank you for the answers to some of my questions. Guys I think I will just have to sleep on it and see what i think in a few days.. Some stuff was promising to here and others negative but I will take it all into account and think about it.

Thanks again :razz:

woops didn't want to make 2 My bad

post-97282-1235752549_thumb.jpgpost-97282-1235752561_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics to see if I really do need this treatment .. My face is really red lol just because I got it all picked and poked at yesterday at the Derm and you can see I have a little bit of it on my chest and neck.

post-97282-1235752549_thumb.jpg

post-97282-1235752561_thumb.jpg

To me you're a good candidate for it if everything else has been exhausted (topicals, oral antibiotics, perhaps light therapy, etc.). Have you tried Dan's regimen? I so wish there were a tea or something simple that could get rid of acne.

I don't really encourage people to take accutane when they are younger, I think its better to take when you are in your late teens like 18 and above because that is when you most probably outgrow acne and have grown to the maximum in terms of bone mass. This is because accutane may stunt bone growth so unless you have grown tall enough for your liking, I don't think its a good idea to go on accutane that early. Ultimately the choice is yours, just do some good research before you decide to take accutane.

Yeah I haven't tried every possible thing and no i have not tried Dan's regimen is that affective?

I have been researching about Aczone and that seems way more healthy and almost as good as accutane so I'm gonna ask my Derm about it.

Yeah I haven't tried every possible thing and no i have not tried Dan's regimen is that affective?

I have been researching about Aczone and that seems way more healthy and almost as good as accutane so I'm gonna ask my Derm about it.

Helllooo.....

In my opinion for (for what its worth) haha.... there's 3 things to ask yourself in order to help you decide.

1) Is your acne severe?

2) Or, regardless of severity, have you tried all antibiotics and topicals available and had NO results?

3) Does the state of your skin cause you distress emotionally and socially?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions then i think accutane is the way forward! The only apprehention i'd have is your age. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread your bones are still developing mass etc.. and there may be a possibility your skin will change by 18, but who knows because i thought that at your age and im 31 now and ive just started accutane!

Anyways... just wanted to chuck that out there, but you just have to do what feels right for you.

Hope you get sorted and good luck!!

My derm pretty much gave me a choice. He said I think we can try something else or I think we can goto accutane. Basically I am in between (acne severity). So i started worrying and voicing my concern about the side effects but was going to do it, and before I could tell him I was going to do it, he said "I think we should try something else". I guess my derm understands the potential side effects because not only is he a dermatologist, he is a certified internist so he knows a little bit more about how this thing can affect you. He said that most life-changing side effects are rare, but they are real. He said he usually only prescribes accutane for people that have severe acne and it is dictating their social life. I bum about my acne once in awhile, but it has not prevented me from chillin with friends and even finding girls. He also said that since I am close to "growing out" of acne, it could potentially be foolish to take it. I guess he said like 75% of teenage acne lessens in severity (aka OTC shit should work fine) by the time you are 18 or 19.

So instead, he prescribed me solodyn even after letting me take doxy for a year. I do know that I won't be on another antibiotic for more than 3 months so this stuff has to work or im screwed.

I, too, think you should seriously consider the regimen that's outlined on this site. Your acne looks to be a mixture of inflamed and non-inflamed. The inflamed bit will respond well to the regimen, the non-inflamed bit will take longer to clear but will be helped with the addition of other interventions after you've been on the regimen for a while and become used to the benzoyl peroxide. You don't want to do too many things at once or you risk irritating your skin.

Please try the regimen for at least one to two months! :) Since the derm did pick and prod at your skin, I'd also recommend icing your face at least twice a day. Just run an ice cube gently and smoothly over your skin; don't hold the cube in one spot for too long. You can also cover the cube with a paper towel but then it's harder to glide over the skin. ;)

If you do decide to try the regimen, follow it exactly without adding in or removing steps.

K thanks Wynne and Sean I'm just not going to take it lol Track is starting next week and its not worth jeapordizing the season or my fun sun filled summer so I'm just not going to take it..

Thank you guys again for the info and help :angel:

I really adore accutane. It saved my face from mild acne. I took it because my acne was bothering me enough to take the risk. I think you should weigh the pros/cons and decide how important clear skin is to you. Personally the side effects were worth it for me. I can't say enough good things about accutane, it is the only thing that's 100% cleared my skin.

Edited by iamnotemo

I don't really encourage people to take accutane when they are younger, I think its better to take when you are in your late teens like 18 and above because that is when you most probably outgrow acne and have grown to the maximum in terms of bone mass. This is because accutane may stunt bone growth so unless you have grown tall enough for your liking, I don't think its a good idea to go on accutane that early. Ultimately the choice is yours, just do some good research before you decide to take accutane.

Are you serious? Accutane stop growing? I started my first course when I was around 13, and now I'm 5 feet 6..