Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

How to prevent build up of dead skin/keratin?

Dont know which board this goes under, but I have a serious problem

Every day there is more buildup of dead skin or keratin, I dont really know for sure what it is, and all I can do is wipe it away, I dont know how to stop it from coming. It isnt dry skin, because if it was, the lotion would absorb into the skin and would mositurize it.

Instead, if i use lotion on it, it just seems to wipe it away. And when I wipe it away, my face gets really irritated and really red for a few days. This is a problem because if I let it build up, it looks very bad especially up close, it looks like dry crust or fungus on my cheeks under my eyes, or if I wipe it away everyday, my face is very very red and unattractive.

What can I do to prevent this from coming?

sounds like you have dry skin that needs exfoliation. get a creamy wash wit microbeads in it to get rid of the layers of dry skin. since its creamy it'll keep it moisturized and comfortable. also, the redness is probably because you have sensitive skin, make sure everything you put on your face is fragrance free. you should be able to wash your face every morning and night, just make sure you use the right products.

Well im not sure it is dry skin, cause it is still there when my face is wet

Also exfoliating, that just temporarily removes it right? It comes back every morning

Have you tried the taping method? If you gently put tape on your face and then lift it off, it will take the dead layers of skin along with it. Do this at night, then rinse and apply a good moisturiser or oil like jojoba oil.

Well im not sure it is dry skin, cause it is still there when my face is wet

Also exfoliating, that just temporarily removes it right? It comes back every morning

What else are you using on your skin? Gentle exfoliation will help. If you're not using a cleanser, I suggest using a gentle cleanser that's non-medicated and also has NO beads in it. Consider the baby's hair brush method of exfoliation, too, or buy a soft facial brush. Feels very nice and works beautifully, too. Some baby's hair brushes are too stiff so be sure you're getting a gentle one.

Your skin's always shedding; that's perfectly normal. People with acne usually have problems with their skin cells being more 'sticky' and liable to building up, thus clogging pores (along with perhaps increased sebum production and maybe increased immunity to p. acnes thus a stronger anti-inflammatory response...all current theories about acne).

okay thanks for responses

has anyone heard of salycylic acid? I have done some research and have come across this, but want some opinions from real people

so what are the ingredients in that lotion you are using?

i would definatly look into getting a new moisturizer to take care of that flaking, this is a sign of dry skin and the flaking is the dead epidermis cells disconnecting and making your face look flakey and dull looking. so id definatly get a better moisturizer, btw i think exfoliation will make your flaking worse at the moment.. just get a new moisturizer, if that doesnt work try gentle exfoliation (but dont overdo it! exfoliation only works if you do it every other week, doing exfoliation everyday will harm the skin).

by the way the reason i want to know whats in your lotion is because it may contain AHAs, linoleic acid, Salysilic acid etc. (these ingredients are good for chemical exfoliation but may cause flaking and redness if used everyday).

i would definatly look into getting a new moisturizer to take care of that flaking, this is a sign of dry skin and the flaking is the dead epidermis cells disconnecting and making your face look flakey and dull looking. so id definatly get a better moisturizer, btw i think exfoliation will make your flaking worse at the moment.. just get a new moisturizer, if that doesnt work try gentle exfoliation (but dont overdo it! exfoliation only works if you do it every other week, doing exfoliation everyday will harm the skin).

by the way the reason i want to know whats in your lotion is because it may contain AHAs, linoleic acid, Salysilic acid etc. (these ingredients are good for chemical exfoliation but may cause flaking and redness if used everyday).

When you say exfoliation everyday will harm the skin, how so?

Also the lotion I am using is Cetaphil daily advance ultra hydrating lotion

Damn, I really dont know what to do, Ive had this problem for the past two years and it is getting annoying because it is the main reason for my red skin, and I cant get it to stop coming

Damn, I really dont know what to do, Ive had this problem for the past two years and it is getting annoying because it is the main reason for my red skin, and I cant get it to stop coming

Exfoliation does not harm the skin if you are gentle. Certain people on the boards have a tendency against recommending anything but moisturizer for the skin. I wouldn't pay them any mind. Do what works best for you- it might be worth a try to exfoliate.

Don't just listen to people on the internet. Go to a derm/doctor asap. You may have rosacea or eczema and the only person that can really diagnose you is a Derm.

red skin? i would see the derm and maybe he can diagnose what you have. then i can help recommend a great product if you have (rosacea or excema). Cetaphil is an ok moisturizer i guess, but i would get something with glyserine and petrolatum. It definatly sounds like a lack of moisturizer problem, red flakey or irritation skin is a sure sign.

well the derm prescribed me salycylic acid cream 6%, she told me to put that on morning and night on the affected areas, but use the cetaphil on the rest of my face. The redness and whatever this dead skin is is on my cheeks under my eyes and next to my nose

Do yall think its a good thing to use this salycylic acid cream, I want to prevent this from coming, I dont want to continue wiping it away every day for the rest of my life. Everytime I "wipe" it away it makes the area really red and burns

I think I would see another derm and get a second opinion. I do not know what is going on with your skin, but 6% salicylic acid is extremely powerful and I just can't imagine using that on skin that is already red, sore and irritated. :confused:

It sounds like some sort of dermatitis to me. Try googling "seborrheic dermatitis" and see if that seems like what's going on with you.

Okay but lets say my condition is severe, liek the build up of dead skin is a lot, something strong like that salycylic acid would seem appropriate or is it too extreme? And again, I know yall cant see what it looks like or know what it is, yes, I think i will get a 2nd derm's opinion

The derm lady also said that if I use this for a few months it should solve the problem, I might stick with it but I dunno

I gave this a little more thought, and I do think you could try out the stuff she gave you, but be sure to read the directions closely. Are you supposed to wash it off after a certain amount of time? As I said before, 6% SA is quite a strong product. To avoid irritation, you might want to try leaving it on for just a few minutes the first time you use it, and gradually work your way up to longer amounts of time.

Also, DO NOT put the SA on your face when it is red, sore, or irritated -- and only use it on the areas where you are seeing the skin buildup.

I still think a second opinion would be a good idea. I'm wondering if this might be seborrheic dermatitis or something like that.

Nah you are just supposed to apply it like a moisturizer on the affected areas

The thing is that my face is irritated and red BECAUSE of the exfoliation, so I dont know

I think I will continue using it until i see my derm again, which is march 13th, and I will bring up a few points that were made in this topic, really question her

What I want to know is is this salycylic acid supposed to just help the removal of the excess dead skin, or is it going to prevent it. I can exfoliate without this acid crap, I want to STOP it from coming outright, cant take it anymore

Did you ever find out what caused this to happen to your skin? I am having similar problems now. No one believes me. Please tell me how you got rid of it or what it was if you know. Thanks.

Nah you are just supposed to apply it like a moisturizer on the affected areas

The thing is that my face is irritated and red BECAUSE of the exfoliation, so I dont know

I think I will continue using it until i see my derm again, which is march 13th, and I will bring up a few points that were made in this topic, really question her

What I want to know is is this salycylic acid supposed to just help the removal of the excess dead skin, or is it going to prevent it. I can exfoliate without this acid crap, I want to STOP it from coming outright, cant take it anymore