Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Krabs

DIET IS RELATED

things like white bread? ... that was very specific.

article says "foods like white bread, sweetend cereals, and pasta" all are bad for acne and if that's not good enough for u look like a pizza face for ever i dont care

straight from the article "In recent years, studies have shown that what matters may not be sugar itself but a food's glycemic index, or the speed and extent to which it raises blood glucose levels. Foods that have a high glycemic index and as a result raise glucose levels rapidly - cause the body to release a flood of insulin or other hormones, which some scientist suspect can stimulate oil production and inflame the skin"

Just great. Basically all the foods I consume on a daily basis needs to be eliminated from my diet according to articles like these and claims on the Nutrition forum. Well I say f*ck that. I'll live with a few pimples before living off fruits and veggies only. :lol:

Diet is related to acne.. Water is wet..

There is no question in my mind that if you live as healthy as possible, your acne will likely be better than if you live like a slob.

Just great. Basically all the foods I consume on a daily basis needs to be eliminated from my diet according to articles like these and claims on the Nutrition forum. Well I say f*ck that. I'll live with a few pimples before living off fruits and veggies only. :lol:

well u dont have to completly change ur diet but u could always cut down on a few things

There is no question in my mind that if you live as healthy as possible, your acne will likely be better than if you live like a slob.

Not true. My roommate eats nothing but junk food (candy, potato chips, pop, etc.), no fruits/vegetables, only showers once a week unless I tell him to shower more, and he has no acne whatsoever.

Not true. My roommate eats nothing but junk food (candy, potato chips, pop, etc.), no fruits/vegetables, only showers once a week unless I tell him to shower more, and he has no acne whatsoever.

i wouldnt say diet is the cause of acne but it defintly can make it worse so if ur roomate's skin isn't acne prone there is a good chance he wont get acne from his diet. And if i were you i would tell him to shower more

Yeah, I don't think food causes acne. The thing I'm trying to figure out is whether or not it affects acne. That's my biggest question. I bet if I cut down the two Mountain Dews I drink on a daily basis, I'd probably get a good indicator to this question. Too bad every time I try to stop, I get a craving for one just a few days later and give up. I need more discipline! :wall:

i wouldnt say diet is the cause of acne but it defintly can make it worse so if ur roomate's skin isn't acne prone there is a good chance he wont get acne from his diet. And if i were you i would tell him to shower more

Believe me, I do have to tell him to shower a lot. It's kinda annoying. You wouldn't think something like that would be an issue.

Not what I said.. If you don't have a natural predisposition to have acne I'm not saying eating unhealthily will cause it. I'm saying that if you do have acne, and live healthy your skin will be better than if you live unhealthy.

We on the nutrition form don't live off of fruits and veggies only. We live off of real food that contains these things I like to call nutrients. As opposed to nutritionally void processed crap that actually depletes what few nutrients you do consume.

And of course diet affects acne. In about a million ways. I really don't get why people frequenting a forum called Research, don't ever seem to read any research.

We live to die, living leads to death.

Just reduce/eliminate processed food, and avoid preservatives and anything in too much excess and you'll be fine, not saying your acne will disappear, but you'll feel chemically better and your mood will be more stabilized over the years, ok I made that up but it does make sense..

Just time travel back before food factories were invented, eat those foods fresh.

I think diet is probably the primary cause, along with genetic predisposition.

It's not that white bread is bad, it's HOW MUCH white bread you eat (actually I've seen the GI figures and brown bread is nearly as bad).

Carbohydrates (which bread, pasta etc) mostly consist of are mostly used in the body to power the muscles and are sucked up by the brain. If you eat more carbs than you need (and most people in the modern world don't get enough exercise for the amount of carbs they eat), then the body has to deal with it.

Getting rid of it works a bit like a dutch auction. The body calls out a bit of insulin, and says is anyone really hungry? If you've done lots of running about then your muscles will grab most of it. There might be a bit left, so the insulin will go up a bit more and then other tissues will grab. Finally, the liver will always take it, but the level of insulin and glucose in the blood can get quite high before it has finished gobbling the carbs from the blood.

When you get high levels of insulin/blood glucose, tissues which can take it, but don't really want to like the skin will take it; they can burn it, but it tends to raise the levels of a fat called arachadonic acid that is manufactured in the skin and elsewhere- this is pro-inflammatory (although has important features that keep you alive as well), and a high level causes inflammation.

It's thought that the primary cause of acne is inflammation.

So... to improve your acne, reduce the amount of carbs (don't have to cut it out entirely), and/or increase the amount of daily exercise. It's about the balance between exercise and carbs. If you do lots of exercise, then you can take a bit more carbs (but not that much, if you burn 300 calories on exercise, you should take about 150 calories of carbs, the rest of the calories will be fat you burnt.)

Anyway, that's my theory.

Oh yeah, and anti-inflammatory pills can block arachadonic acid production, so topical ibuprofen or oral ibuprofen or aspirin will always work (but the oral pills need a very high dose to work, so I don't recommend them for more than a couple of weeks).

There are other things as well though; you need to make sure you're getting enough vitamin A, a deficiency of that is bad, particularly for people with acne. Oh yeah, and water, when you eat carbs it's important to make sure you're very well hydrated, processing of carbs needs water (that's the infamous 'water weight' you suddenly lose when you go on a diet- it's stored with the carbs).

Oh yeah, and anti-inflammatory pills can block arachadonic acid production, so topical ibuprofen or oral ibuprofen or aspirin will always work .

Yes, but it's better to eat anti-inflammatory foods than to take NSAIDS or antibiotics to fight inflammation.

And in doing so, you will also be eating more nutrients your body needs to function. Because it's not just that you're eating crap foods, it's that you aren't getting the nutrients. Your system can deal with a little crap, as long as it's getting the nutrients it needs.

I think it's not just diet. There are a lot of factors.

Diet is just one of the reasons you could have acne but not the only cause.

But you have to remember some people just don't have acne period. Even if they live like a slob, eat like one, etc.

However if you have acne I'm sure if you exercise on a daily eat healthy sleep right don't stress your acne will at least be much more improved you might not have NO acne but better than right now.

If you have acne eat badly, don't exercise enough, and sleep badly, stress and work your body out(not as in going to the gym) and making it tired than yeah your acne will be worse. However for some people it's more than that. For some people that's all there is to keep their acne in check.

Let's face reality though, in the world we live in, who would want to eat healthy everyday and exercise everyday and sleep ontime overall not stress the body or mind?

For some it's a choice and others they don't have the money or time to be so on schedule.

It's like any other disease it helps if you live a healthy life but it doesn't mean you won't get the disease unless it's directly related to how healthy you live.