Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phyrexia

My personal "success" story

Hi Dan, Brandy and everyone,

I have wanted to post about my personal experience with regards to the regimen and experience with acne.org products for a long time now, but never really got down to doing it till now. I still have questions and doubts of my own, but hopefully my post can give you a different perspective.

Just a short background history about myself. I'm 24 years old now, and have been suffering from acne since I was 14. Mine was not the very severe type of acne where I had pimples everywhere, but trust me I have my share of weekly pimples and red marks.

I started using roaccutane, followed by doxycycline for a couple of years, and the results were good. Pimples stopped coming every week, and I had decent skin to show the world. BUT the problem was that I still had pimples popping up every once in awhile. The severity has been put under control so to speak, but I still had pimples, and the scars. So I kept on searching, trying countless of different products, cleansers, etc. You name it, I should have tried it before.

It was only recently (around end of Dec 2008) that I stumbled upon this website and decided to give this a try. Mind you, I was highly skeptical, and I live in Singapore which meant that I paid a pretty high shipping charge just to get the products here. I still kept on my daily doxycycline for fear that this "regimen" wasn't going to work (I have tried stopping doxy a couple of times in the past, but the problem with antibiotic therapy is that the moment you stop, the pimples come back, hence continuing the cycle).

Now on to the juicy part :surprised: . What was my experience in the first month? Pretty bad actually. I used the cleanser, small amounts of BP and moisturizer. Had really dry and red skin due to BP, like my skin was sunburnt. But fortunately, all those symptoms subsided by the end of the first month. There were still pimples coming up here and there, but they were noticably smaller and the recovery was much much faster than before. So I thought to myself, what the heck, might as well just try everything.

Ordered the johoba oil and AHA, and started myself on the full therapy. By the end of the second month, my skin really started to clear up, the red scar marks were gradually going away, and finally the pimples stopped appearing. Well, not entirely of course. Every 2-3 weeks I still get like one zit, but its really nothing, especially since it clears itself within the next few days.

BUT I must admit something negative that I have experienced. I experienced very irritated eyes when I applied BP onto my face. I suspect its an allergic reaction of some kind, since I have been unable to find any similar post here that describes it. I only had this when I first started on the regimen, and I have tried many methods to rule out the causing chemical. Unfortunately, it is really BP. Even when I take special precaution to not get BP even near to my eye area, I still get this problem.

Fortunately, I no longer experience this problem when I switched to applying BP just once a day, and only at night. Maybe this is a unique problem to me, I would never know. Luckily for me, BP just once a day seems to keep my skin clear, so yeap I'm not really complaining :dance: .

In case anyone is wondering, I am only using one full pump of BP for my entire face. I have tried 2 full pumps a couple of times, but I could never get it all to absorb despite constant massaging, hence I decided to stick with one pump. Maybe because I'm Asian, smaller face/smaller body so to speak.

And so I have already been on the regimen for almost 3 months now, and I am very very satisfied with it. Sure there are problems here and there, but what treatment therapy doesn't? In the end, we just need to adjust and titrate our own therapies so that we get the results we want. Yes in the beginning, I must stress, please follow Dan's step by step routine. See how it goes, if it works, etc. And give yourself at least a month or two to see if it really works. AND THEN decide on making small changes.

We are all acne sufferers, so I am fully aware of the desperation that we want to rid of acne forever. Even so, my advice to all is this: be patient. I had acne for a decade, and no treatment in the world is going to get rid of all my pimples and scars in one month. Give yourself time. And most importantly, don't let acne affect your life. Now that I have clear skin, I can testify to you that all my friends still treat me the same way as before, even back then when I had pimples everywhere. Not everyone in the world is superficial and shallow.

Just my $0.02 to share. I know its a long post but I hope that my story has been helpful. Cheers everyone, good luck to us all :angel: .

Regards,

Jason

Hi Dan, Brandy and everyone,

I have wanted to post about my personal experience with regards to the regimen and experience with acne.org products for a long time now, but never really got down to doing it till now. I still have questions and doubts of my own, but hopefully my post can give you a different perspective.

Just a short background history about myself. I'm 24 years old now, and have been suffering from acne since I was 14. Mine was not the very severe type of acne where I had pimples everywhere, but trust me I have my share of weekly pimples and red marks.

I started using roaccutane, followed by doxycycline for a couple of years, and the results were good. Pimples stopped coming every week, and I had decent skin to show the world. BUT the problem was that I still had pimples popping up every once in awhile. The severity has been put under control so to speak, but I still had pimples, and the scars. So I kept on searching, trying countless of different products, cleansers, etc. You name it, I should have tried it before.

It was only recently (around end of Dec 2008) that I stumbled upon this website and decided to give this a try. Mind you, I was highly skeptical, and I live in Singapore which meant that I paid a pretty high shipping charge just to get the products here. I still kept on my daily doxycycline for fear that this "regimen" wasn't going to work (I have tried stopping doxy a couple of times in the past, but the problem with antibiotic therapy is that the moment you stop, the pimples come back, hence continuing the cycle).

Now on to the juicy part :surprised: . What was my experience in the first month? Pretty bad actually. I used the cleanser, small amounts of BP and moisturizer. Had really dry and red skin due to BP, like my skin was sunburnt. But fortunately, all those symptoms subsided by the end of the first month. There were still pimples coming up here and there, but they were noticably smaller and the recovery was much much faster than before. So I thought to myself, what the heck, might as well just try everything.

Ordered the johoba oil and AHA, and started myself on the full therapy. By the end of the second month, my skin really started to clear up, the red scar marks were gradually going away, and finally the pimples stopped appearing. Well, not entirely of course. Every 2-3 weeks I still get like one zit, but its really nothing, especially since it clears itself within the next few days.

BUT I must admit something negative that I have experienced. I experienced very irritated eyes when I applied BP onto my face. I suspect its an allergic reaction of some kind, since I have been unable to find any similar post here that describes it. I only had this when I first started on the regimen, and I have tried many methods to rule out the causing chemical. Unfortunately, it is really BP. Even when I take special precaution to not get BP even near to my eye area, I still get this problem.

Fortunately, I no longer experience this problem when I switched to applying BP just once a day, and only at night. Maybe this is a unique problem to me, I would never know. Luckily for me, BP just once a day seems to keep my skin clear, so yeap I'm not really complaining :dance: .

In case anyone is wondering, I am only using one full pump of BP for my entire face. I have tried 2 full pumps a couple of times, but I could never get it all to absorb despite constant massaging, hence I decided to stick with one pump. Maybe because I'm Asian, smaller face/smaller body so to speak.

And so I have already been on the regimen for almost 3 months now, and I am very very satisfied with it. Sure there are problems here and there, but what treatment therapy doesn't? In the end, we just need to adjust and titrate our own therapies so that we get the results we want. Yes in the beginning, I must stress, please follow Dan's step by step routine. See how it goes, if it works, etc. And give yourself at least a month or two to see if it really works. AND THEN decide on making small changes.

We are all acne sufferers, so I am fully aware of the desperation that we want to rid of acne forever. Even so, my advice to all is this: be patient. I had acne for a decade, and no treatment in the world is going to get rid of all my pimples and scars in one month. Give yourself time. And most importantly, don't let acne affect your life. Now that I have clear skin, I can testify to you that all my friends still treat me the same way as before, even back then when I had pimples everywhere. Not everyone in the world is superficial and shallow.

Just my $0.02 to share. I know its a long post but I hope that my story has been helpful. Cheers everyone, good luck to us all :angel: .

Regards,

Jason

Impressive..Congratulations

I noticed that you only use BP at night

What us your rutine for the morning?

Thanks & Respect

My daily routine:

In the morning,

- One pump cleanser (And shaving)

- One pump moisturizer + 5 drops of johoba oil

In the night,

- One pump cleanser

- One pump BP

- One finger length of AHA

I only focus applying BP and AHA to my forehead and cheek areas, since I hardly get pimples elsewhere.

On a side note, I am also applying the regimen to my back acne and it seems to work quite well.

Just in case anyone is following, I have already stopped my doxy for 2 weeks now, and all still seems to be in good order.

Cheers,

Jason

Oh, I've also managed to find a (relatively) old picture of myself, decided to upload it together with a "after" picture for all to view. I can assure everyone that these pictures are 100% real, no photoshop done at all.

Before:

post-92041-1235537285_thumb.jpg

After:

post-92041-1235537294_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

post-92041-1235537285_thumb.jpg

post-92041-1235537294_thumb.jpg

I have not been using sunblock at all. But then again, I only apply AHA in the night before bed, so sunlight isn't an issue for me.

Different people will definitely experience different results. Just give yourself time ya.

My daily routine:

In the morning,

- One pump cleanser (And shaving)

- One pump moisturizer + 5 drops of johoba oil

In the night,

- One pump cleanser

- One pump BP

- One finger length of AHA

I only focus applying BP and AHA to my forehead and cheek areas, since I hardly get pimples elsewhere.

On a side note, I am also applying the regimen to my back acne and it seems to work quite well.

Just in case anyone is following, I have already stopped my doxy for 2 weeks now, and all still seems to be in good order.

Cheers,

Jason

How come you do not apply BP in the morning?

Very nice post! I'm glad that The Regimen worked out for you. It's helped so many people, and posts like yours can be very reassuring to people that are either considering The Regimen, or have just started it.

And your skin is looking great! : )

Hey Jason congratulations on your success - your skin looks amazing!

The Regimen has been working wonders for me too. The only problem I have now is the what seems to be inevitable flaking and overall dryness...

You use 5 drops of jojoba oil with your moisturiser tonight right? Does that completely take care of the flakes?

Hi Capo89,

As mentioned in my very long first post, I stopped applying BP in the morning as it was the cause of my irritated eyes throughout the day. Till now I do not have a good reason. Maybe I'm allergic to BP or some other component in the formulation. But then again, I do not experience crusting or swelling on my cheeks or forehead. Hopefully I can meet someone here that shares a similar experience so that I know its not just me.

Hi Mackoo0524,

I know this might sound amazing, but no I do not use moisturizer and johoba in the night. Maybe it is because I am using AHA, hence there is no real need to moisturize. Yes I understand the flakiness and dryness is a real bother, I had all that too for the first month or so. But after that, for some reason the flakes and dryness gradually went away. But that was around the same time that I switched to applying BP once a day instead of twice, so maybe that is the reason. Personally, maybe you might wanne try just applying more moisturizer and johoba? See it that helps you.

And to Dan, c'est la vigne and abc 1,

Thanks for the positive comments. To be honest, psychologically I still have this feeling that my skin isn't great. I guess acne really does scar us mentally. Hopefully we can overcome this invisible barrier too. :D.

Cheers!

Jason

As mentioned in my very long first post, I stopped applying BP in the morning as it was the cause of my irritated eyes throughout the day. Till now I do not have a good reason. Maybe I'm allergic to BP or some other component in the formulation. But then again, I do not experience crusting or swelling on my cheeks or forehead. Hopefully I can meet someone here that shares a similar experience so that I know its not just me.

Hi Jason

You mentioned that when you apply BP in the morning, it stings, that's why you stopped using it. I think it's ok to use BP once a day too. I used it once a day before. But I will like to make a guess on why you felt the sting in the morning and not at night. My guess is.. you are using it together with the moisturizer. When combining both BP and moisturizer, it does sting (from my experience). At night when you use BP with AHA, you wont have the problem. So my guess is the BP + Moisturizer caused the sting. The solution? I did what you are doing now. Use BP only at night and I used moisturizer in the day. But later I realised the importance of SPF, so I used it on top of the moisturizer. Unfortunately, I found it too oily. So I have to leave out the moisturizer and use only the SPF.

I can't tell you enough the importance of using SPF, especially when we are using AHA/BP/BHA. I hope you can consider to add SPF into your day regimen.

Nice job! And thanks for sharing such a complete story.

So i guess this it the only time dan will step into this part of the message boards when someone actually has success with BP. What about all the other threads that complain about irritation, redness and dryness? hmmm dan? You won't step into those threads, why not?

So i guess this it the only time dan will step into this part of the message boards when someone actually has success with BP. What about all the other threads that complain about irritation, redness and dryness? hmmm dan? You won't step into those threads, why not?

*Moderator Edit*

Dan is here to help, who cares if he makes money from it etc? He deserves it, he has changed the lives of people in a way you'd obviously never understand.

To be honest, psychologically I still have this feeling that my skin isn't great. I guess acne really does scar us mentally. Hopefully we can overcome this invisible barrier too. :D.

Cheers!

Jason

Jason, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I've been on dan's regimen for two and a half months and my skin looks GREAT...I'm finally clear and only have a bit of hyperpigmentation left, but i still can't get over the feeling that my skin is still full of acne...i have to constantly look at myself in the mirror to remind myself that i really am clear...

thanks for sharing your story :) congrats!

Wow Jason! Your skin can handle BP's irritation? My first month of the regime was like yours too, sunburnt skin redness, skin peeling blah blah. It made me hate getting under the sun.

What really surprised me is that it clears your skin up! Perhaps getting Dan's products is better than getting over-the-shelf from stores because mine (my regime) didn't work very well that it clears up my skin. My acne sure lessen down than before but the marks and scars are around definitely plus pores are visible if you're standing an arm away from me... There are countable pimples (mini-ones) too on my cheek.

I started my regimen since last April.

I'm from Singapore too by the way. :)

Why should he step into those threads when there's an extremely long and informative FAQ where he clearly goes through all of those issues and offers solutions? Also, that's what Brandy does - Offer regimen assistance. ;)

Anyways, congratulations to the OP. Always nice to hear a success story. :)

Hi kotengu,

Yeap the first month's side effect was the worst. But I guess it did help that I switched to using BP only in the night.

Honestly, there are still some scars and hyperpigmentation left on my cheeks even till now (Which may not be obvious from the pics), but I'm not really complaining. All I ever wanted was just for pimples to stop popping out of my face, so yeap. :)

I have used cream-based BP products like Oxy before, and I can definitely say that Dan's BP is a lot easier to apply. That and it absorbs easily without much trace is really nice.

What products are you using currently? I've always wanted to get alternative products that I can just buy off the Singapore shelf, but just can't seem to find any that's good enough.

Regards,

Jason

I am so happy to hear that the regimen is working for you! It is working for me too! I've been on it for almost a year. I pretty much use the same products as you, except for the jojoba oil. And I am also using BP in the morning as well, but after reading your post, I'm hoping to use BP just at night and will still be effective for me. I agree with you, the BP is hard to absorb using the full amount. My moisturizer just mixes in with the BP and it's a mess.

Thank you for sharing!

Hi angel07,

Yeap hopefully it will work out for you too. But like what people say, everyone is different. So long as it can keep you clear, I guess thats the most important thing. :)

Hi kotengu,

Yeap the first month's side effect was the worst. But I guess it did help that I switched to using BP only in the night.

Honestly, there are still some scars and hyperpigmentation left on my cheeks even till now (Which may not be obvious from the pics), but I'm not really complaining. All I ever wanted was just for pimples to stop popping out of my face, so yeap. :)

I have used cream-based BP products like Oxy before, and I can definitely say that Dan's BP is a lot easier to apply. That and it absorbs easily without much trace is really nice.

What products are you using currently? I've always wanted to get alternative products that I can just buy off the Singapore shelf, but just can't seem to find any that's good enough.

Regards,

Jason

Hi, :)

How was Oxy?

I've been using Neutrogena On-The-Spot all the way, even till now! It's good, if you don't rub it all over the face. :P Just dabbing on the pimples. But I can't settle down with a proper cleanser or moisturizer. My face either oils up too much after the moisturizer or dries up immediately after cleansing. I really don't know what to do now...

The current moisturizer I'm on started to have an opposite effect lately (I've been on it for about 5 months or so). It dries up my face as well.. I wonder why.

Weather? :/

Hi Jason

I have been on the regimen for about a month now and I have the same stinging effect in my eyes when I apply the BP. I was just looking on the boards to find someone with this as well. I have no idea what it is, but I only get it some of the time. I seem to get it only when I put on my glasses after applying the BP and before applying the moisturizer. I think the stinging is from the fumes of the BP and that they get trapped behind my glasses or something weird like that. Do you think that's possible? Anyway you're not alone in the eye stinging department. Thanks for posting that.

P.S. You're skin looks great. Congratulations!

Hi Jason

I have been on the regimen for about a month now and I have the same stinging effect in my eyes when I apply the BP. I was just looking on the boards to find someone with this as well. I have no idea what it is, but I only get it some of the time. I seem to get it only when I put on my glasses after applying the BP and before applying the moisturizer. I think the stinging is from the fumes of the BP and that they get trapped behind my glasses or something weird like that. Do you think that's possible? Anyway you're not alone in the eye stinging department. Thanks for posting that.

P.S. You're skin looks great. Congratulations!

Hi graceinsideofsound,

To be very honest, I'm still "troubleshooting" the problem and yet to figure out an ideal solution. I switched to only applying BP at night and skipped it on mornings, and it did significantly reduce the irritation. But recently, the irritation is coming back again, so I'm not really sure. I'm now trying to keep a very wide margin from my eyes when applying BP, to see if it works. Perhaps you might wanne try that too. :)

P.S. Thanks for the compliment. I hope your skin is improving too! :)

Hi kotengu,

I never liked Oxy personally. The cream doesn't absorb at all, and it didn't seem to help my acne. But that was years ago, so yeap.

Well, so long as you can keep clear, I think thats the most important thing. As for the dryness issue, I highly recommend jojoba oil as I have personally been using it all this while. Even though I have rather oily skin, jojoba seems to be really good, especially after application of BP when I get the highest "dryness effect". Just my $0.02. :)

Regards,

Jason

Heya,

I am also from Singapore, and I have the exact problem that you faced with the eyes.

I even wore goggles to ensure nothing gets near my eyes but it always gets irritated and a lil pinkish red, like as though I got punched or something.

I am still suffering from this problem, maybe I should keep to 1 pump too. :D

Will update :)